PDA

View Full Version : -This is Kungfu- the movie

David Jamieson
08-02-2004, 08:24 PM
anyone seen or own this nugget? I'm guessing that some of you must have...being that this is kfm's site.

it showcases all the 70's and 80's wushu and some traditional kungfu from all over china. (mostly wushu :-D )

fun to watch

MasterKiller
08-03-2004, 06:21 AM
Yeah, it's pretty cool. I think that's the one that shows Jet Li at about 11 years-old, right?

David Jamieson
08-03-2004, 06:28 AM
yeah...when he's 8 and then some later shots of him in his 20's

all the 70's and early 80's wushu champs and of course the obligatory old men doing the traditional styles.

I picked up a copy of it for 5 bucks. It's a pretty cool thing.

Shaolinlueb
08-03-2004, 06:39 AM
i saw one with jet li at the shaolin temple and all this monk propoghanda how they sit in horse stance while they eat and blah blah. is that the same one?

David Jamieson
08-03-2004, 08:33 AM
there are shots of jet at 8 doing his big knife set, then again later training by hanging from doorways and trees and then talking about his career to the point of the release of the movie.

But not much talk of the monks at the temple.

Mostly the whole thing is a big showcase of all the wushu, modern and traditional styles that the makers of the film could find.

There are ubiquitous shots of very old people doing empty hand and sabre sets that would shame many a 30 year old in their performance technique :D lol

some breaking stuff, river rocks, clay tiles, concrete blocks, a family of iron heads from the mainland. :p

and muchos dress up competition wushu from the 70's.
some slightly esoteric wushu from the same genre.

the two man choreographed fighting sets from that period are really good though. They showed a good selection of these and imo these staged fights are worthy of any hollywood movie scene.

positively no -for real- fighting was shown. But a whack of different styles are covered in it.

MasterKiller
08-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Don't they show 'duck' style at some point? It looks silly.

norther practitioner
08-03-2004, 12:51 PM
I got it.. the classical wushu stuff, some new, some old, good overall. I watch it to gauge some of the flavour.

David Jamieson
08-03-2004, 06:38 PM
yeah they show an old guy doing a duck style qigong.

definitiely not what one would envision a fighting style to be.

But it has apparently kept the old man quite strong into his autumn years.

So that alone gives it value.

(when you think about it, a lot of kungfu looks silly to a lot of people) :D