PDA

View Full Version : less more often? or more less often?

william
08-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Wanted to tap some of this forums vast knowledge!

So:

Which would be better, to have one real heavy long workout at the weekend, and a slightly lighter but still fairly tough in the week, so thats twice a week.

Or

To do short workouts every day, working different muscle groups, but like just 15mins a day, like chin up and squats one day, and pressups and dips the other? so that will be more 5/6 days a week.

Goals: To in increase functional strengh, muscle tone and speed, I'm not to bothered with bulking up, tried it once and it does not seem to be what my body wants to do, so I figured I would work with what i've got.

So which workout would be best for my goals?

please help!

Cheers

W

FooFighter
08-03-2004, 04:47 AM
william:

Exercise program design is a sophisticated science and it is especialy difficult to design a program without a complete assestment. A doctor doesnt operate unless he knows his patient likewise a coach or personal trainer should know his client before he can create an exercise plan, be it long term or short term. Therefore I would suggest that if you are serious about making your own exercise program that you research the science of "periodization" and understand some of its principles. The ignorance of self will lead to less than optimal results. It is tempting to just follow and copy someone's workouts, but I hope you are more rational and intelligent.

Anyone giving you a cookie cutter program without knowing your strengths or weaknesses arent really doing you much justice and it only shows their ignorance of sophisticated training. I am sorry I can not give you a cookie cutter program. However, I will tell you that in the beginning you need to know where your fitness level is at and work from there. Start with General Physical Prepareness training. Because this will be your solid foundation for sport specific training and then later sophisticated training. Here is some books that may be of some help: "Periodization Breakthrough!" by Steven J Fleck and William J. Kraemer and "Power to the People" by Pavel Tstatsouline. Best of luck!

Sincerely,
Mr. Bao

PS: General Physical Prepareness training is usually based on a trinity of general fitness: strength, flexibility, and cardiovasular training. Dont worry about specific training in this phase but focus on developing this trinity for now based on your sport and personal needs or limitations. It is too bad that one of our beloved and distinguish forum experts "fordperfect" is not here to offer you some advice. I am sure there are plenty of people will help you and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Your success is our success.

william
08-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks!

I guess I just wanted a simple answer! But thank you for good advice.

I am following my intuition and going with the second option, can some one just confirm my choice as a good one? or tell me otherwise?

I know no body who is into this stuff, I know this is a complex area but perhaps simplicity can come from complexity just this once?

Any help would be much appreciated,

cheers

W

Toby
08-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Simple answer? The 2nd one.

rubthebuddha
08-04-2004, 08:50 AM
toby's quite right -- just make sure those 15 minutes are intense. if you aren't thinking to youself "dayam, that was a good workout" when those 15 minutes are up, you didn't work hard enough.

Vash
08-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by william
tone

GAH!

Serpent
08-04-2004, 05:31 PM
It's ok, man. Real men can talk about tone and know what they mean. ;)

Vash
08-04-2004, 06:00 PM
. . . I guess. He came mad close to saying "bulky." Had he, I would've pulled an Ashida Kim.

By that, I mean saying I was going to brutalize him, then charge him $10,000 to do it, then back out when he accepts.

But I'd still be angry.

Serpent
08-04-2004, 06:04 PM
That's quite reasonable.

FooFighter
08-07-2004, 08:10 PM
William:

Many people fail to realize that brief and intense workouts usually would fall under sport specific training phase. In your case, it would be wiser that you start with a GPP based program. This way you will developed a good foundation for future sport specific skills. Again I would highly recommend that you do your own personal research and make it more practical!!! GPP's volume ranges from moderate to high; the load is low to moderate. A good basic model of GPP is probably CT: Circuit Training. Research this method, William. Make sure you dont forget cardiovasular and flexbility conditioning in GPP, ok? Best of luck. Your success is our success.

Sincerely,
Bao

blooming lotus
08-08-2004, 05:22 AM
the 2nd sounds good for very basic maintenance, but if you can swing it, try to get in a couple of heavier days a week........ as long as your load is still a challenge, you'll improve.