PDA

View Full Version : post-surgery, looking for...

TheTinMan
08-02-2004, 11:32 PM
hello,

last year, in february, i had a heart transplant.

as part of my physical rehab, i've been running 3 miles a day, and looking to get into the martial arts as well.

i'm looking an art that wont be devastating my body (for starters, at least), and at the same time, effective.

i've had suggestions like Aikido and Tai-Chi, and have researched a bit, but i'd still like to know other peoples opinions

any suggestions would be appreciated!
thanks!

rubthebuddha
08-03-2004, 12:16 AM
taiji -- it's nothin but goodness, and for someone in your unique but still prop-deserving state, it'll do many things for you that you'd expect, and many more that you wouldn't.

i don't know how long such a surgery takes to heal (my guess is less time than one would think, due to the large amount of fresh blood flowing through), but i have bad images in my head of a nasty fall in judo or aikido during which something important becomes detached on the inside.

side note: hopefully ironfist reads this and learns that even folks with a new ticker can run three miles regularly and not keel over. :eek:

Toby
08-03-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
taiji -- it's nothin but goodness ...I'd still be searching for a good teacher, though. Plenty of crap out there. Lots of "health" taiji that just caters towards old people and hippies and ignores martial aspects. I reckon I'd struggle to find good taiji players in my city.

TheTinMan
08-03-2004, 03:43 AM
thanks for the direction to taiji

how can i ensure i find a good sifu?

PaiLumDreamer
08-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Where do you live? Members might point you in the right way.

TheTinMan
08-03-2004, 11:08 AM
vancouver, british columbia, canada

red5angel
08-03-2004, 12:00 PM
you can take a look at wingchun as well. It's not as demanding as some arts. Just don't go to the wingchun forum unless you want another heart replaced.

TheTinMan
08-03-2004, 04:45 PM
hahaha

oh yeah?

whys that?

Fu-Pow
08-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
you can take a look at wingchun as well. It's not as demanding as some arts. Just don't go to the wingchun forum unless you want another heart replaced.

Do Taiji and, avoid Wing Chun, very boring.....:o :o

Shaolinlueb
08-03-2004, 06:16 PM
well hippie taiji isnt very demanding. might be good for youa t first. real martial aspect taiji (depenmding on style, i only experienced chen style.) is demanding of the body.

cerebus
08-04-2004, 01:51 AM
LOL! When I see a thread with a title like this one, it's usually in a personals ad and instantly goes on the "SKIP THAT ONE" list!:p :p

But seriously, Tai Chi is good stuff if you can find a good instructor. Best of luck!

scotty1
08-04-2004, 03:04 AM
yeah i thought this thread was going to be about transexuals.

anyway, as someone said, health taiji will be pretty dam.n good for your (especially your heart i would think) but you wouldn't learn to fight.

learning to fight with taiji will be pretty stressful on your bod. at least if it's anything like my class.

TheTinMan
08-04-2004, 03:21 AM
oh god, trannys
:rolleyes:

Chang Style Novice
08-04-2004, 07:54 AM
No matter what you're using to fight, if you're fighting for reals it's going to be stressful on your bod.

Maybe not as stressful as getting your nuts sawed off and your weenie turned inside out and backwards, but still...

red5angel
08-04-2004, 08:54 AM
Do Taiji and, avoid Wing Chun, very boring.....

LOL! wingchun compared to taiji - boring? :rolleyes: Don't be a retard.

CSN brings up a good point, you need to evaluate what your training for.

If your just looking for some exercise, Tiaji is good. It sucks as a combat art for the most part, not necessarily because of the art itself, although frankly I've never come across anyone who trains in taiji who could fight well. Their out there but few and afar between and if you're looking to fight, taiji is not the place to go. Wingchun is a good combat art that can be trained low key for the most part.
The rub is that to train to fight you're going to have to take some shots, even if it's just for self defense, you'd be short changing yourself if you didn't spar or learn to apply and have applied, techniques for self defense.