PDA

View Full Version : Wah Lum Kung Fu: Cash Cow or Matial Arts Training?

Gaura
08-03-2004, 11:07 AM
There has been a good deal of talk about why students don't get the proper training at WL. My former Sifu said that it was because students can't handle proper training...they are Americans and incapable of enduring the rigours of real kung fu. Now....this begs the question, is WL a martial art or a corporation like any other that caters to the slack-jawed, SUVdriving-cell phone addicted-pill popping masses? Does tai chi have a purpose apart from being some kitchy unique new age relaxation technique? Have we reduced kung fu to tai bo?

If a student can't handle the training, should he really be a student? If only a few good students can't sustain the lifestyle to which a teacher has become accustomed, should he really be making a living at it?

...and one more question....is it ethical for a teacher to require a student to pay money AND insist that they "volunteer" whatever they can of their talents/skills/free time to the school? Is that the "traditional" way of a kung fu master? I really expected something more enlightened...it sounds so...typically American.

sayloc
08-03-2004, 11:16 AM
"caters to the slack-jawed, SUVdriving-cell phone addicted-pill popping masses"?

That is a big "general" statement about martial arts students in the USA.

If you dont like a system you are in, get out.

My bet is that you work for one of those slack jawed pill poppers you were talking about.

Where does that leave you?

Have a nice day.

Gaura
08-03-2004, 11:33 AM
...As i've said before, i am speaking of events, people, situations, and subjects about which I am familiar. I can't say that I am familiar with you, and I can't say that you are familiar with me.

You may assume and attack anything you like bearing this in mind otherwise you appear foolish. You see I have a reason for saying these things. If you are interested in learning about it, I invite you to ask in an intelligent, well informed question.

In marital arts, as in Chinese custom, your manners matter.

I am having a lovely day. Thank you.

sayloc
08-03-2004, 11:37 AM
sorry

I didnt mean to hurt your feelings

Tak
08-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Gaura
In marital arts, as in Chinese custom, your manners matter.

Especially when you're pushing for anal.

ursa major
08-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Gaura
There has been a good deal of talk about why students don't get the proper training at WL.... ...

Maybe if there was less talk about WL there would be more kung-fu training?

Best regards,
UM

BeiTangLang
08-03-2004, 11:57 AM
This forum is for discussion of mantis kung-fu. If you cannot bring your point around to mantis kung-fu rather than, ".....is WL a martial art or a corporation.....", then I'll have to shut this thread down or move it to the general discussion forum.

Your choice.

Best Wishes,
BTL

Gaura
08-03-2004, 12:24 PM
As arguing with the moderator seems less than fruitful, and the topic of this thread is not about technique, but rather ethics in this particular area of kung fu...I will not object.

BeiTangLang
08-03-2004, 12:30 PM
/CLS