PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite (MA) FIGHT from the MOVIES

morbicid
08-03-2004, 01:46 PM
This has probably been done before, but I was just curious what everyone's favorite fight from the movies was.

my personal fav is the final showdown between Blade and Nomak in Blade 2

anyone else ?

norther practitioner
08-03-2004, 01:48 PM
End fight scene in Invincible Shaolin

Chang Style Novice
08-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Jackie Chan vs Benny 'the Jet' Urquidez in "Wheels on Meals." The rematch in "Dragons Forever" is right up there, too, and on the whole the latter is a better movie, but the original is the best movie fight ever.

Also can't forget Patrick Swayze vs. Marshall Teague in "Road House":eek:

unkokusai
08-03-2004, 02:02 PM
The Quiet Man

unkokusai
08-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

Also can't forget Patrick Swayze vs. Marshall Teague in "Road House":eek:

That's reemul's real life story!

Judge Pen
08-03-2004, 10:50 PM
From Russia With Love on the train.

joedoe
08-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Ladder fight in OUATIC

Becca
08-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Jackie Chan in the market trying to get his stepmother's diamonds back in "Drunken Master."

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-04-2004, 12:56 AM
anything chan or jet did prior to selling out to the matrix.

DragonzRage
08-04-2004, 02:58 AM
geez, there's sooo many fight scenes I love. I'll just list some off the top of my head:

-Achilles vs Hector in "Troy"

-Ethan Hawke vs Drug Addict Rapists in "Training Day"

-Bill the Butcher vs Dead Rabbits in "Gangs of New York"

-Wooden sword match between Tom Cruise and "Ujio", as well as the entire final battle sequence in "The Last Samurai". I felt the movie itself was flawed, but I gotta admit the fight scenes were awesome.

-Ken vs Vega in "Streetfighter II: V" anime series

-Ryu vs Guile in same

-Pvt. Mellish vs German soldier in "Saving Private Ryan"

-O-Ren Ishii's Father vs Yakuza thugs in "Kill Bill Vol#1"

-Darth Vader vs Luke in "Empire Strikes Back"

-John McLean vs Colonel Stewart in "Die Hard 2"

...I could keep going but I'll stop for now.

cerebus
08-04-2004, 03:42 AM
Heh, heh. For entire fights scenes, far too many to list. For best dialogue/ single move to kick off a fight scene: Tom Laughlin vs bad guy leader in Billy Jack!

Bad Guy: You don't really think those Green Beret Karate tricks are gonna help you against all these boys?

Billy: Well, it doesn't look like I have much choice now does it?

Bad Guy (with smug grin on his face standing in front of Billy): Heh, heh, no you don't.

Billy: So you know what I'm gonna do? Just for the hell of it? I'm gonna take this foot and I'm gonna whap you across that side of your face with it. And you know what else? There ain't a **** thing you can do about it.

Bad Guy (with a "Yeah, right" look on his face): Really?

Billy: Really.

POW! Bad guy hits the ground! :D

cerebus
08-04-2004, 03:43 AM
Oh, wait one other that needs mentioning!

Takura Ken vs Japanese gambling den in "The Yakuza"!

friday
08-04-2004, 04:33 AM
jet li in fist of fury against the bad jap guy at the end :)
awesome!!!

unkokusai
08-04-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by friday
jet li in fist of fury against the bad jap guy at the end :)
awesome!!!

The word is "Japanese".:mad:

Chang Style Novice
08-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Actually, the word is "Chinese" - the character is played by Billy Chau.

Starchaser107
08-04-2004, 07:36 AM
jet li vs. monk in EVIL CULT
mark dacascos vs. masaya kato (final fight scene) in DRIVE
jet vs. johnny in THE MASTER

unkokusai
08-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Actually, the word is "Chinese" - the character is played by Billy Chau.

LOL

SevenStar
08-04-2004, 08:17 AM
tommy lee vs dae han - best of the best

bar fight scene - best of the best

almost any scene in the bourne identity

kenshin vs oushi - rurouni kenshin

terry bogard vs krauser - fatal fury 2

Vash
08-04-2004, 08:28 AM
Vash v Knives Millions, last episode, Trigun

Chosen One v Betty, Kung Pow!: Enter the Fist

Any scene in Hell'z Windstaff

Terry Bogard v Wolfgang Krauser in Fatal Fury: The New Battle

Neo v Smith, Matrix Revolutions

Terry Bogard v Mars, God of War in Fatal Fury: the Motion Picture

The scenes from OUATIC II

Jet Li vs Japanese General in Fist of Legend

Abstract
08-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar

almost any scene in the bourne identity

and yo add to that bourne supremacy...really, the fight scenes in those 2 films were so well done they shamed any movie made that's come outta hollywood in the past few years that display h2h combat of any kind....other directors should take notes. extensive ones

and i gotta add Fist of Legend, i love all the fight scenes in that one

Bruce vs Bob "ohara" Wall in Enter the Dragon

Jackie vs the kickboxing duo on the rooftop in ....was that Who Am I?

Prodigal Son fight scenes...all of em

i could go on, but ah...
:D

Chang Style Novice
08-04-2004, 11:44 AM
I do NOT understand the love for the Bourne movies. If what you really want is fight scenes shot and edited so spastically you can't actually tell what's supposed to be happening, why do you want fight scenes at all?

norther practitioner
08-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Dude,

When is the last time you were in a Rawkus?

Starchaser107
08-04-2004, 12:29 PM
oh yeah , and i enjoyed the CTHD fight sequences too!!!, and i don't give a fugg what nobody sez about it.

Chang Style Novice
08-04-2004, 12:32 PM
np -

If you're talking to me, my reply is that I want my movies to be a little more fun and coherent than getting beaten up in an alley.

norther practitioner
08-04-2004, 12:33 PM
I enjoy some of that style cinemetography (sp?)....

It gives it that whole, what the bloody hell is going on feel...

As opposed to say, I robot.

DragonzRage
08-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Yeah I also gotta disagree about The Bourne Identity's fights being all that. I haven't seen the sequel yet, but I imagine the fights will be similar. Altho I thought the fights in BI were definitely cool, IMO there have been plenty of recent movie fights that put BI's to shame.

I think the best technical mano y mano fight scene in recent memory has to be Brad Pitt vs Eric Bana in Troy. There was just so much strategy, technique, and realism to that fight. What I really liked is that Wolfgang Peterson toned down the camera/editing tricks enough so that the audience could appreciate the fight itself. Pitt and Bana were definitely well coached, and Pitt's movements in particular looked very fluid and technical.

Chang Style Novice
08-04-2004, 12:43 PM
IMO, if you can't reconstruct a narrative of who did what when, you didn't actually see the fight scene, and that's probably because not enough information made it to you due to incompetence by the fight/stunt team, the director, the camera crew, the editor, or some combination of the above. I believe that kind of fast-cut BS is intended to keep you from noticing the lack of skill in the actual fighting. "Bourne Supremacy" had the same problem in the car chases. I had no idea who was where and at what time. There's no tension without comprehension, dig?

Anyway, that's the opinion of this long-take fetishist. Ever see "The Russian Ark"? Now THAT'S how you make a movie! No fight scenes, though. Well, Peter the Great knocks down one of his lackeys. That might count.

SevenStar
08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
the car chase in bourne supremacy was excellent. So was the one in matrix reloaded.

Chang Style Novice
08-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Sevenstar - what did you like about it? In my hate, I'm talking about the one in the finale in Moscow. The one at the start in Goa wasn't bad.

unkokusai
08-04-2004, 01:28 PM
I believe that kind of fast-cut BS is intended to keep you from noticing the lack of skill in the actual fighting.

Gotta agree.

SevenStar
08-04-2004, 01:30 PM
gokou vs vegeta - dbz

ranma vs ryoga in the forest - ranma 1/2

bruce leroy vs sho'nuff - the last dragon :p

yusuke vs toguro - yu yu hakusho

yusuke vs hiei - yu yu hakusho

almost any fight scene in record of lodoss war

most of the fights in ninja scroll

I don't think anyone can name just ONE favorite scene -there are too many...

SevenStar
08-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Sevenstar - what did you like about it? In my hate, I'm talking about the one in the finale in Moscow. The one at the start in Goa wasn't bad.

I think I see your issue.... you don't like busy sequences. The one in goa was kind of slow compared to the final one. the final one was faster paced, with more action. IMO, it wasn't hard to keep up with.

SevenStar
08-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Vash

Terry Bogard v Mars, God of War in Fatal Fury: the Motion Picture

"once I have the armor, I will become a god! And you will die while cursing your own human weakness..."

"if it means revenge for the wrongs committed against our people - why not become a devil??!"

Chang Style Novice
08-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Clarity is definitely my top priority. As long as the movements and relative positions of the participants are clear, I'm probably going to be happy, even if there is a lot of fast-cutting and jiggly camera work.

If you are clear about what's going on in the Moscow chase, you're definitely seeing something I'm not. But I think I'm pretty perceptive, so I'm dubious about those claims. It's unreasonable of me to ask this, but I'd love for someone to go through the chase shot by shot and explain precisely where the cars are in relation to one another and how they can tell that from what's being shown onscreen. My suspicion is that most of it would be pretty general rather than specific.

But it really comes down to strokes and folks.

Tak
08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Gondor vs. Mordor assorted - ROTK
Alia vs. training mechs - Children of Dune (even though she didn't fight naked like in the book)
Ed Norton vs. self - Fight Club
Blinkin vs. stone column - Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Bender vs. Zoidberg - Futurama
Stewie vs. man on train - Family Guy

Shen Zhou
08-04-2004, 02:25 PM
I was going to say
Ed Norton vs. Blond (pretty boy) in basement He beat the dog **** out of that guy.

Another would be.

Jet Lei VS. UFC fighters in cradle to the grave

Ike and Tina in the limo.. "Na, Na Now Etta Mae you gone do what I say or else you gone get the boot again."

Martin Vs. Tommy The Hit Man Hern. Martin Tv Show...

Classic Beat downs

Abstract
08-05-2004, 08:11 PM
I do NOT understand the love for the Bourne movies. If what you really want is fight scenes shot and edited so spastically you can't actually tell what's supposed to be happening, why do you want fight scenes at all?

Chang the reason i say that is the LAST THING i wanna see is matt damon acting like kung fu kenny a' la the matrix or jet lee or take your pick of hong kong action stars.

the fights were gritty and choppy, and they fit the mood of the film. I'm not really watching those movies for the 'movie fu'.

that's what i meant by saying other directors should take notes. I'm sick of seeing people who have NO martial arts experience( i.e. tom cruise) try to pull off something (MI 2, last samurai) something they suck at...tom cruise looks like he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag...with scissors.

edit it, chop it, film some clean punches, a low kick & hip toss make it fast & grimey, and that works much better. you can't film technique & finesse where there's none.

that's how i see it.....your mileage may very;)

Oso
08-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Also can't forget Patrick Swayze vs. Marshall Teague in "Road House"

Bill the Butcher vs Dead Rabbits in "Gangs of New York"

tommy lee vs dae han - best of the best

almost any fight scene in record of lodoss war
{one of the few anima series I've watched in it's entirety}

bruce leroy vs sho'nuff - the last dragon

The above are all on my list but I have to say my favorite would be the fight scene between the Jet and John Cusack in Grosse Point Blank

and for a good fantasy type flick, "Blood and Fire" w/ Rutger Hauer and speaking of him, I thought the one where he was blind, was it "Blind Fury"? was pretty good.

CaptinPickAxe
08-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Jackie vs. Thunder Foot in "Snake in the Eagles Shadow"

The Episode where the host of "Cheaters" gets stabbed

The Roof Top Fight from "Who Am I?"

Chang Style Novice
08-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Abstract - that makes a certain amount of sense to me. But I'd still rather see good martial atheletes doing their thing in a clear and coherent fashion (see my picks upthread for faves.)

ShaolinTiger00
08-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Obi Wan vs. Darth Maul. "Star Wars"

Mel Gibson vs. Gary Busey in "Lethal Weapon"

Keith David & Rowdy Roddy Piper - "They Live"

Ultimatewingchun
08-06-2004, 08:52 AM
This is an easy one...got to be Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris in "Return of the Dragon".

Awesome fight!

Abstract
08-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Chang, I'd much rather see to talented MA's doin their thing on screen too...

however

when the ppl involved AREN'T talented MA's & just actors filming a fight sequence, then i'd rather they tailor the scenes to fit the actors abilities & the mood of the film in order to make it look good, rather than having a wide angle shot of someone who can't kick above the waist & have them try to pull off intracate techniques, whatever they might be...

that's why i enjoyed the Bourne fights, they weren't over the top & nobody was on wires, it wouldn've looked silly & ruined the otherwise serious tone of the film....

I mean you don't watch a Shaw Bros flick for their thespian talents, you bear the acting so you can see some incredible martial arts choreography.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-06-2004, 10:55 AM
everything in goodfellas and the first 20 mins of saving private ryan.

teh win!

friday
08-06-2004, 05:13 PM
unkokusai>

yes its japanese. I jus use 'jap' for short like i do with 'msg' to mean message. so chill a little :).
i love japanese people. in fact my girlfriend is japanese! in fact about 20% of my friends are japanese. in fact...part of my family is japanese.

:)

anyways...i still think fist of the legend with jet li is one of the TOP martial arts films ever. Also WFH 1,2,3.

SevenStar
08-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
Obi Wan vs. Darth Maul. "Star Wars"

Mel Gibson vs. Gary Busey in "Lethal Weapon"

Keith David & Rowdy Roddy Piper - "They Live"

a big, fat hell yeah to all three of these. I was actually just getting ready to post the first two.

CaptinPickAxe
08-07-2004, 03:52 AM
We must never forget the excellent coreography, directing, and white knuckle action of the infamous "Asian Girl in a blue silk shirt and panties fight" in Eddie Murphey's The Golden Child...

Priceless...truely priceless

Scythefall
08-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Iron Monkey had several fight scenes that got me going. Donnie Yen versus the corrupt monks was good. Then his fight against the governor(Shaolin Traitor) was excellent, especially when they were locked together and the concrete tiling was shattering under their feet.

Darth Maul vs the Jedi in Phantom Menace. The choreography was great, watching Maul battle the jedi, one in front, one behind him, blocking blows coming from behind without even turning to look. The death of Maul is a sore spot for me because I think it was poorly written. The fight had to end with his death but not that way. He goes from being able to fight two jedi, one without even looking at him..to being overwhelmingly surprised by a jedi leaping out of a twelve foot drop, doing a flip over him and landing..then slicing him in two. The Matrix had a similar scene. Neo did a flip over Morpheus and Morpheus watched him do the flip and when he landed, Morpheus side kicked him right in the chest.

Mel Gibson VS Gary Busey - Lethal Weapon - That was a mean fight.

Buliwyf and the norse warriors versus the Wendel in the final battle of The 13th Warrior. Not much really happened action wise, but it was powerful. The rain started, the warriors gathered, Buliwyf came out, dying from poison that the Wendel Queen had pierced him with. He shrugged back his cloak and began a funeral prayer:

Lo, there do I see my father
Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters and my brothers
Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever.

Hero - Wow. I like Jet Li's description of the movies scenes. You could take any individual frame from that movie, no matter what frame, and it'd be worth hanging on a wall. Snow vs Zhang Ziyi in the forest, where Zhang couldn't even get near her because of Snows power. Also, the scene where Snow and Hero were knocking arrows out of the air when the army was assaulting the school. The whole movie is great.

FatherDog
08-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Tony Ja vs. Don Ferguson, Ong Bak

cerebus
08-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Jeez! How did I forget Iron Monkey? EVERY fight scene in that movie ROCKED!!! :D :D :D

unkokusai
08-07-2004, 09:47 PM
unkokusai>

yes its japanese. I jus use 'jap' for short like i do with 'msg' to mean message. so chill a little :(.
i love japanese people. in fact my girlfriend is japanese! in fact about 20% of my friends are japanese. in fact...part of my family is japanese.

Then it shouldn't be that hard for you to take a little care in how you communicate, should it?

AmanuJRY
08-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by FatherDog
Tony Ja vs. Don Ferguson, Ong Bak

I saw the preview for that, waiting to see the whole thing, the trailer blew my mind.

So far;

all scenes with Jet Li in 'Fist of Legend'
and Bruce Lee in 'Fist of Fury' as well.

'Bruce' Leeroy Green vs. Sho'nuff in 'The Last Dragon'

The scene in 'The Transporter' where the guy gets all oiled up and fights with the bicycle pedals on his feet.

guy vs. Master Bong Soo Han in 'Fist Full of Yen' (a short in 'The Kentucky Fried Movie). This is not a shawade. We need towtow consentwation.:D

friday
08-07-2004, 11:02 PM
ummm...

if you read what i wrote in reply its quite obvious it was typed as shorthand. and not intended to be an insult. the point was already taken. if it makes you feel that much better i even go so far as to apologise.

firstly, don't rub it in or seek to argue over something when the point has been taken and its obvious the person lacked the intention.

secondly, don't talk to me like your my teacher or elder, etc. can your self-righteous attitude. its a thread about favourite MA movies. get over the typo.

Now that i've gotten that off my chest, i can be my usual friendly, and tree hugging self again.
now can we shake hands and be friends :)?

FatherDog
08-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by AmanuJRY
I saw the preview for that, waiting to see the whole thing, the trailer blew my mind.

I saw the whole thing at Otakon last week. Anyone who does or likes Muay Thai NEEDS to see it. Everyone else should see it anyway.

unkokusai
08-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by koffi

secondly, don't talk to me like your my teacher or elder, etc. can your self-righteous attitude.

now can we shake hands and be friends :)?

And finally, if you plan on being so sensitive you should also plan on being more careful in choosing your words. Got it?

p.s.---I don't know where those hands have been.

friday
08-08-2004, 08:59 PM
sensitive? me sensitive??

com'n look whose talking...

besides i practise everyday to be sensitive so i can 'chi sao' really well. in fact, i'm really peed off now! lets settle this like real men. you should fly over here and we'll have a one on one fight. and if i beat u senseless - which i will. your wrong ok?

joedoe
08-08-2004, 09:04 PM
What about Yoda v. Count Dooku?

friday
08-08-2004, 09:07 PM
in fact if someone could film the match

we might become someone's favorite movie!!!

hi joedoe how r u?

blooming lotus
08-08-2004, 09:12 PM
I can't remember the name of it, but there's a series of movies, one in particular, of xinglong kicking as*s all over china.......cutest lil dude you ever saw, and his ma skill 'll blow you away.............gotta smile...........

joedoe
08-08-2004, 09:16 PM
in fact if someone could film the match

we might become someone's favorite movie!!!

hi joedoe how r u?

Hey friday. Good (apart from a sore foot), how are you? How is your training going?

I have footage of me sparring with another gentleman I know, but it is huge, and too embarrassing for me to post. :)

friday
08-09-2004, 12:48 AM
hey joedoe :)

what happened to your foot?

training? i don't train anymore haven't for over 1.5 years.
too many injuries i've given it up. thinking of taking up something low impact, in the future if i do take it up again.

i never got to meet u did i? do u know jon? ka? sweatydog?
are these guys still around?

unkokusai
08-09-2004, 06:49 AM
in fact, i'm really peed off now! lets settle this like real men. you should fly over here and we'll have a one on one fight. and if i beat u senseless - which i will. your wrong ok?

You sound like a wonderful person. You must spend a lot of time unconscious.

Tak
08-09-2004, 06:56 AM
omfg - UGH! @ nearly ALL the fights in crouching tiger hidden dragon and hero. If I want to see some guy with a sword fly through the trees on a clumsy wire apparatus, I'll go to a junior high production of Peter Pan.

disclaimer: I actually did like the story and cinematography of both movies, but the fight scenes...(shudder)

Chang Style Novice
08-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Going on the endorsement of several posters in another thread, I rented "The Hunted" - although the movie as a whole was mediocre at best, I have to agree that the two fights between Del Toro and Jones were among the best I've watched at the flickers.

Ray Pina
08-09-2004, 08:20 AM
No. 1 best fight scene: Jet Li vs his cop friend in Black Mask .... his cop friend moved real well but realistically.

Jet Li vs. the good Japanes guy in Fist of Legend ... kind of comic book feel with the leaves and blind folds, ect .... lots of elbows, ect.

Toad vs. Scorpian in 5 Deadly .... love the toad.

Good police guy vs everybody else in Kid w/Golden Arm

Both Bourne movies: I actually think they show some good compact martial arts. They can't avoid a little of the holiwood, but there is some good stuff, particularly in tyhe 1st one (only seen part 11 once).

I read the review on Time.com too busting chops about the slicey aproach, but it wasn't that bad in the first one; some real good calculated scenes like when he grabs the double barrel shotty and hunts down the other killer. The way he is so calculated in escaping the embassy, grapping exit plans, quick strikes on the stairwell.... I'm a big fan of those movies.

Also a great fight scene: In 7 Samurai, when the one samurai insists that the challenge was a draw so they do it again for real and he dies.

Chang Style Novice
08-09-2004, 08:35 AM
oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me of Kurosawa. My favorite of his is in "The Hidden Fortress" when the character played by Mifune faces off against the bad-guy general. Best spear duel in movies, easy.

AmanuJRY
08-09-2004, 09:34 AM
How about the fight in the begining of 'Twin Warriors' (aka, Tai Chi Master), with Jet Li and friend fighting all the monks in the monastary.

Unrealistic, but that's what I like about the movies.:D

Oh, yeah, and Kurosawa is awesome. Loved 'Ren'.

morbicid
08-09-2004, 03:34 PM
i also liked the chinese connection -

when he beat up everyone in the japanese school...

almost impossible in real life... but a classic old scene i think

friday
08-09-2004, 04:50 PM
quoting unkokisomething...

"You sound like a wonderful person..." Yes i am.

"...You must spend a lot of time unconscious." No I don't

mickey
08-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Greetings,

Hard Times

Shaolin vs Lama

Dragon Fist (Jackie chan)

The Leg Fighters-- First and Last scene

The Streetfighter

Return of the Streetfighter

Fist of Legend

The Warriors Journey--Bruce lee vs Kareem Abdul Jabbar in the uncut fight scene.

Warriors of the Sung Dynasty

Shaolin Temple

Kids from Shaolin

On the Road to China (Matt Furey) :)

The Burning of Red Lotus Temple (Ringo Lam Version)

The Holy Robe of Shaolin-- crisp fight scene between senior Monk and Wudang usurper.

Shaolin Temple Strikes back-- last fight scenes

mickey

joedoe
08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
hey joedoe :)

what happened to your foot?

training? i don't train anymore haven't for over 1.5 years.
too many injuries i've given it up. thinking of taking up something low impact, in the future if i do take it up again.

i never got to meet u did i? do u know jon? ka? sweatydog?
are these guys still around?

I think I hurt it while I was sparring. Didn't notice it at the time, but over the few days afterwards it started to hurt more. Probably just put my weight on it funny or something - nothing too serious.

I think I knew that you had stopped training. Silly question. My apologies.

I have met jon - top bloke. Haven't seen him in over a year, and have been meaning to email him but just never get round to it.

A few of us may be getting together in September. Interested in attending?

blooming lotus
08-09-2004, 06:18 PM
has anyone here seen lil xinglong in action???

he's extremely famous here in China and even the most skilled gongfu player won't help but be impressed..... the dude was 5 or 7 and up in filming .dead set .....he could show us all a few tricks ( 'cept I doubt we could look so cute while doing it :P )

unkokusai
08-09-2004, 08:18 PM
quoting unkokisomething...

"You sound like a wonderful person..." Yes i am.

"...You must spend a lot of time unconscious." No I don't

I half believe you.

friday
08-10-2004, 12:54 AM
hey joedoe,

september? would love to if you can give me a set date i'll be able to confirm later. :) thanks for the invite.

hey don't worry about that. sad but i'm over it. have to let go of dreams and things sometimes.

if you guys spar would love to watch.

blooming lotus
08-10-2004, 12:58 AM
speaking of sep / oct............. anyone here doing the 1st int. wushu compt / 2 yrly shaolin fest in Deng Feng??/. too busy train myself, but no doubt 'll be there.............. know a good place for chillied fish ( quality meal in these parts ) .......................

look frwd to seeing some faces........................

Ming Yue
08-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Aside from the others mentioned:

The Transporter: Scene in warehouse, Jason Statham in an oil slick with bicycle pedals strapped to his feet.

Army of Darkness: Ash vs. Evil Ash

The Holy Grail: King Arthur vs. the Black Knight.

Kill Bill: Swordfight in the snow

Tapani
08-10-2004, 06:52 AM
Hi!

I had to post one more.

The bad train conductor(!) fighting the good guy and using a sledgehammer in Empire of the North. Ouch!

Tapani

Chang Style Novice
08-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I just remembered another that's very dear to my heart but doesn't QUITE belong here. Although I'm posting it anyway.

Kong vs. the Tyrannasaurus in King Kong - the first and best of all monster duels.

SimonM
08-10-2004, 12:17 PM
How about the fight in the begining of 'Twin Warriors' (aka, Tai Chi Master), with Jet Li and friend fighting all the monks in the monastary.

U

I prefered the later fights in 'Twin Warriors' - It's my fave Jet Li Movie. I haven't seen 'Hero' yet though, I hope it's as impressive as it's been made out to be.

Other than that, the end fight of Black Mask,
Neo v. Smith in the first Matrix movie,
Helm's Deep (Nothing could be more intimidating than seeing Uruk Hai falling around you and hearing a deep dwarfish voice shouting "Nine-teen, Twenty, Twenty-One...")
The end fight of "Iron Monkey" - Gotta buy that movie...

Least Fave Movie fights:

Neo v. Smith in the Second Matrix Movie
Any of the fights in "Magnificent Butcher (can you say wooden choriography)"
Yoda v. Palpatine in "Attack of the Clones"

blooming lotus
08-10-2004, 07:00 PM
I just remembered another that's very dear to my heart but doesn't QUITE belong here. Although I'm posting it anyway.

Kong vs. the Tyrannasaurus in King Kong - the first and best of all monster duels.

not feeling ya on that scene, but did you hear the leading chicky passed on yesterday????

classic western film and damsel in distress model for generations to come post..................

.moment o' silence please............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................

Chang Style Novice
08-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Yes, Fay Wray's death was exactly what reminded me.

Do you mind reformatting your post? It's got the window messed up.

SevenStar
08-10-2004, 07:18 PM
what about godzilla vs. mothra?

SevenStar
08-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Ming Yue

Kill Bill: Swordfight in the snow

speaking of kill bill - go go's fight. I dunno if it was the fight itself, or the whole hot chick "hot chick wields flying guillotine" thing :D

Chang Style Novice
08-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Good stuff, but a little too fanciful for my tastes (I can't believe I'm saying that as a defense of a giant ape vs. dinosaur fight, but there you go.)

Kong vs. Rex is fast, hard, direct and brutal. The animators actually choreographed and filmed a fight between a pair of wrestlers and based the moves on theirs. Cool, huh?

joedoe
08-10-2004, 07:22 PM
hey joedoe,

september? would love to if you can give me a set date i'll be able to confirm later. :) thanks for the invite.

hey don't worry about that. sad but i'm over it. have to let go of dreams and things sometimes.

if you guys spar would love to watch.

No worries. Once we have it organised I will let you know.

You are welcome to come watch any time. I cannot promise a spectacle, other than some very poor technique :). Wednesday nights normally. PM me for contact details.

Ming Yue
08-10-2004, 07:32 PM
thinking of stop motion animation made me remember this one...

Cyclops vs Dragon in Harryhausen's Seventh voyage of Sinbad.

blooming lotus
08-10-2004, 07:35 PM

Do you mind reformatting your post? It's got the window messed up.

dong.can't be helped.......sorry.............

AmanuJRY
08-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by SimonM
I prefered the later fights in 'Twin Warriors' - It's my fave Jet Li Movie. I haven't seen 'Hero' yet though, I hope it's as impressive as it's been made out to be..........Yoda v. Palpatine in "Attack of the Clones"

Hero looks awesome by the trailer, and why shouldn't it. It was directed by Tarrentino (one of my favorite directors).

I think you mean the battle between Yoda and count Duku. If that is what you are referring to, I have to disagree.

David Jamieson
08-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Roddy Piper vs Keith David in the backlane in the movie "They Live".

(roddy's a winnipeg boy, so I favour him :D )

Chang Style Novice
08-10-2004, 07:39 PM
It can be helped. Use the edit button and change the post.

blooming lotus
08-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

Roddy Roddy??!!.I lurrve that guy!!!!!!!!! ............hard as*ed , hard working knowledgable bare-underkilted player.............. any links to what he's up to today 'd be very cool...................

cheers

Ps.........chang style...........gotta be here to know why format is negotiable.. forgive me............

Ming Yue
08-10-2004, 07:45 PM
BL just edit that post and delete all the periods after the last sentence.

that will fix it.

joedoe
08-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Hero looks awesome by the trailer, and why shouldn't it. It was directed by Tarrentino (one of my favorite directors).

I think you mean the battle between Yoda and count Duku. If that is what you are referring to, I have to disagree.

Hero was not directed by Tarrentino. It was a Chinese director.

Funny - I saw Hero over a year ago now. Very well made movie, and an interesting message.

Vash
08-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Ah hell, martialartsmart has it in stock. Gnna hafta buy it, now. And see it in theaters.

Dang, I need some money.

AmanuJRY
08-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
Hero was not directed by Tarrentino. It was a Chinese director.

Funny - I saw Hero over a year ago now. Very well made movie, and an interesting message.

My bad.:(

It was directed by Yimou Zhang, but it is being 'produced' (brought to) in the USA by QT.

joedoe,

You must live outside the US to have been able to see it already. My friend saw 'Ong Bak' in Thailand, and I don't even think it is being reproduced in the US.

Chang Style Novice
08-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Better video stores (willing to import) have had it for ages.

blooming lotus
08-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Ah hell, martialartsmart has it in stock. Gnna hafta buy it, now. And see it in theaters.

Dang, I need some money.

there's always downloading on kazzar and illegal pirate copies ................:D ...............

NOT that i'm advocating abuse of the law :rolleyes: ;) :p :D

FatherDog
08-10-2004, 08:29 PM

You must live outside the US to have been able to see it already. My friend saw 'Ong Bak' in Thailand, and I don't even think it is being reproduced in the US.

Actually, I've seen both Ong Bak and Hero - they were both playing at Otakon this year.

Ong Bak was tremendous; loved it. Hero wasn't really to my taste. While I love watching wushu stylized unarmed combat, the whole flippy sword chinese armed combat doesn't really thrill me much. And since the entire story of Hero was basically an excuse for as many duels as possible, it kind of left me cold... not to mention the fairly blatant Maoist propaganda aspect. I must admit that the cinematography was absolutely gorgeous, though.

Vash
08-10-2004, 08:30 PM
http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd40028.html

Chang Style Novice
08-10-2004, 08:34 PM
FWIW, I responded to those two about like Fatherdog.

The possible difference is that I think Ong-Bak is a kind of immature effort. It's a great start on a brilliant career, but I see the potential for much bigger and better things in Tony Ja's future. Like, Ong-Bak could be his Young Master, but it's not up to being a Dragons Forever, to use a Jackie Chan comparison.

joedoe
08-10-2004, 08:34 PM
My bad.:(

It was directed by Yimou Zhang, but it is being 'produced' (brought to) in the USA by QT.

joedoe,

Yeah, I live in Oz, but a friend got me the VCD from China. I guess the movie would not be to everyone's tastes, but I really enjoyed it. Can't complain when you have Jet Li, Zhang Xi Yi, and Donnie Yen all in the same movie :)

AmanuJRY
08-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Amen to that.:)

SevenStar
08-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass - and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Shaolinlueb
08-11-2004, 07:50 AM
I was always a fan of jackie chan so I have to say the mall scene at the end of Police Story. the scene in RUmbe in the Bronx where he fights the gang. For jet li I would have to say anything in Fist of legend. as for old school, I have so many old school movies they tend to all blend together after a while.

MasterKiller
08-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Bai Mei vs Hung Hei Guen in Executioners from Shaolin is cool. Bai Mei vs Hung Man Ting in Executioners from Shaolin and Fists of the White Lotus are both cool.

SimonM
08-11-2004, 08:29 AM

I guess, I just mean the one where Yoda just does multiple CGI flips and then levitates stuff. Gah! Not a favorite. But everyone is intitled to their own opinion.:)

AmanuJRY
08-11-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by SimonM
I guess, I just mean the one where Yoda just does multiple CGI flips and then levitates stuff. Gah! Not a favorite. But everyone is intitled to their own opinion.:)

Indeed.

And my opinion is; although it's all CG and not really a display of any MA talent, the fact that you get to see Yoda showing the skill that has been played up throughout the movies is worth it.

here's another good fight scene;

Clint Eastwood vs. 'The Swede' in Heartbreak Ridge.

FatherDog
08-11-2004, 09:43 AM
FWIW, I responded to those two about like Fatherdog.

The possible difference is that I think Ong-Bak is a kind of immature effort. It's a great start on a brilliant career, but I see the potential for much bigger and better things in Tony Ja's future. Like, Ong-Bak could be his Young Master, but it's not up to being a Dragons Forever, to use a Jackie Chan comparison.

Yeah, I'd tend to agree here. I must admit being a Muay Thai fanboy colored my perceptions a bit :D

Chang Style Novice
08-11-2004, 09:49 AM
If being a Tony Ja fanboy is wrong, I don't want to be right.

SevenStar
08-11-2004, 01:48 PM
red turbans vs yellow turbans - big trouble in little china

fights with the three storms - big trouble in little china

gang fight in china town - ring of fire

morbicid
08-11-2004, 07:00 PM
how about shredder vs. turtles in the teenage mutant ninja turtles movie - or splinter vs. shredder

mel gibson and danny glover go against jet li in Lethal Weapon 4

SevenStar
08-11-2004, 08:35 PM
since you mentioned tmnt -

raph vs casey jones - tmnt 1

raph vs foot soldiers - tmnt 1

raph and keno vs foot soldiers - tmnt 2

* leonoardo beheading vanilla ice - tmnt 2

* this didn't actually happen, but it should have.

blooming lotus
08-11-2004, 09:12 PM
okay.it's not a "fight scene" so much as a post fight scene, but I seen it english., and seen it chinese........it's a Jet Li, with crazy animal styled dude, who gets baited and temporaoarily put outta action by some past uncompetitive rivals in a dragon dance comp........... awsesome, interschool comps, and dirt as the dude is, can/'t help but admire his courage. totally feasible and worthy.

Ps.also luving the jet vs leading chicky yingyu ( english ) learning scenes

....... i lub u ..I love u.I luurve you.to everyone he meets there after , followed by kisses .male or f/male.. hoe cute and real is that?????? ;)

innocence is still a valued mark of man - hood .............

:p :D ;) :cool:

David Jamieson
08-12-2004, 12:40 PM
k wait, I also like Uma vs Darryl in KB2

I just saw it, the eye plucking scene is up there.

cerebus
08-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Lou Gossett kicking Richard Gere's azz (well, anatomically speaking it was a dropping side-kick to the balls :D ) in "Officer and a Gentleman".

And the fight between Chuck Norris and David Carradine in "Lone Wolf McQuade" (Kung Fu vs Karate and the only decent-looking stuff I've ever seen from Carradine).

And the little kid vs multiple attackers in "Iron Monkey". HeII, ANY fight scene in "Iron Monkey"! :D

SimonM
08-15-2004, 05:59 PM
I finally bought a copy of Iron Monkey (and a copy of "The Legend") and I have to agree. The fights in Iron Monkey are top notch. I like the rooftop fight between the Iron Monkey and Wong Fei Hung's father early on in the movie.

Also liked the fight between Iron Monkey and Cheif Fox's guards, very "keystone cops" like.

Chang Style Novice
09-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Shocked as I am to hear myself say it, I really like Duane Johnson vs. Ernie Reyes Jr. in "The Rundown."

Hell, I recommend the movie on the whole as a dumb comedic piece of "Raiders" ripoff. I think even maybe above "Romancing the Stone."

Hau Tien
09-05-2004, 09:00 AM
Jet Li... Fist of Legend.

There's a couple there... the fight with the Japanese master Akudagowa (My spelling is likely off) is great, as is the scene before it where he kicks the crap out of all the students first.

His fight with Ting An is also really good. And the fight with General Fujita... and his girlfriend's uncle...

Screw it... the whole mvoie is chock full of good fight scenes. I'm gonna go watch it again :P

AmanuJRY
09-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Shocked as I am to hear myself say it, I really like Duane Johnson vs. Ernie Reyes Jr. in "The Rundown."

Wow, I didn't realize that it was Ernie Reyes Jr. in that (we are talking about the scene with the capoira [sp?], right?).

And to add to my list, I finally got to see Kill Bill 2, and the fight scene between the Bride and Ellie Driver was tops, probably my favorite between the two.

"*****, you don't have a future!":D

Chang Style Novice
09-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Yeah, the fight vs. the rebels. He's the main one - the only rebel with lines, in terribly accented portuguese.

I didn't know it either until I watched the supplements on the DVD. Actually, all the fights in the movie were quite good.

Now I'm kind of hoping for some sequels. They could title them thematically, like

The Gundown

The Sundown (ending the trilogy)

Chang Style Novice
09-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Also:

The Tundown (set in a giant brewery)

The Fundown (amusement park action)

The Bundown (booty-shaking contest menaced by terrorists)

and of course

The Pundown (better left unsaid)

Kristoffer
09-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Spider-Man VS Doc Ock
in SM2

Chang Style Novice
09-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Which one? They clashed at least three times in the flick. If memory serves, I liked the first one best - right after the bank job, with Aunt May held hostage.

Vash
09-05-2004, 05:32 PM
That movie was the pho shizzle.

AmanuJRY
09-07-2004, 08:59 AM
CSN,

He just didn't look like the Ernie Reyes Jr. from The Last Dragon (or Red Sonya), so it was hard to recognize him. :D

Has he done anything else lately???

also;

The Hundown (period piece movie)

The Dumbdown (simplified version of the original)

The Mumdown (The Rock vs. The Mummy)

Phil Redmond
10-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Not the best fight scenes I've seen but they are really good.
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808590078&intl=us

FuXnDajenariht
10-19-2004, 12:40 AM
No one mentioned The Hunted? I liked those knife fight scenes alot. Was different and it looked realistic enough. Tommy Lee showed his age a bit tho. I also like that fight scene in that anime 3x3Eyes when they were in Tibet. The scene in "Gorgeous" wasn't too bad neither. Oh yea, can't forget the old skool Zatoichi flicks. They weren't all technical or anything but you gotta love em.

lol i can't remember anything else right now but those stuck out. Chow Yun Fat has some of the best gunfight scenes around but i can't think of any off the top of my head.

oh oh yea and that Brad Pitt movie Snatch had sum good sh!t in it. Best 2 second fight ever....

FuXnDajenariht
10-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Anyone seen a movie called Time and Tide? Its a Japanese movie.

Mr Punch
10-19-2004, 02:53 AM
There're too many... but my top one has to be

the Cripple fight in South Park.

Mr Punch
10-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Devilman vs Satan is quite cool.

In fact, as a change from Hollywood CG superheroes beating the crap out of Hollywood CG villains, 'Devilman' was a breath of fresh air, and a lot of the fights were cool.

Overall very odd movie tho. Don't think they'd decided if it was for adults or kids or very confused teenagers. The ending was typical manga-esque (boring and overblown - definitely a taste difficult to acquire for most westerners I think), the character development between Devilman and Sirene was non-existant, and ditto the half-daemon chick...

But since none of you know wtf I'm talking about I'll leave it there! :D Different enough to warrant watching though I'd say.

Icewater
10-25-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm partial to the fight between the chang-sings and the wing chuns in Big Trouble in Little China. One of my all time favorites...

morbicid
02-14-2005, 09:48 PM
i haven't gotten to see it yet, but the preview clips Ong Bak look awesome. has anyone caught this one yet ?

also... the club fight scene in collatoral (how do u spell that?) was awesome

AmanuJRY
02-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Icewater
I'm partial to the fight between the chang-sings and the wing chuns in Big Trouble in Little China. One of my all time favorites...

I agree.:D

Waxwood rod
02-15-2005, 12:43 AM
The street fight between Rocky and Tommy at the end of Rocky 5, yo.

Kristoffer
02-15-2005, 05:53 AM
Which one? They clashed at least three times in the flick. If memory serves, I liked the first one best - right after the bank job, with Aunt May held hostage.

I liked the one were they start on the roof and end up on the train. That was like ripped straight outta the comics. Loved that.

I'll throw in the entire movie Fight Club too. Great movie, very brutal fights.

Anthony
02-15-2005, 04:37 PM
A favorite fight scene that comes to mind is the final duel at the end of the movie Rob Roy. It's a very meaningful fight scene within the context of the movie and, for me, stands out for it's realism. Although I have never seen a "life and death" sword duel, I would imagine that it would resemble this fight scene alot more than anything from a typical kung-fu or hollywood action movie.

PangQuan
02-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Fist of Legend

Chen Zhen vs. Funikoshi

or

Samurai vol. 3

Miyamoto Musashi vs. Sasaki Kujiro