PDA

View Full Version : WC's brother?

Spark
08-04-2004, 01:18 PM
I was speaking with a colleague of mine who was telling me a story about WC back when he left for Australia and how WC begged his brother to come to Australia but he refused and remained in HK to finish his training, which he did. He didn't say his name I guess he assumed I knew who it was. I've never heard of WC's brother and the only other person with the same name I'm familiar with is Hawkins. Does anyone know who this is?

Ultimatewingchun
08-04-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't know about all this begging stuff...but one of William Cheung's brothers, David Cheung, has spent many years in Australia (where he still lives).

David spent many years learning from and training with his brother, William...in TWC.

anerlich
08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Victor is correct.

Your colleague is either misinformed or has an overactive imagination.

AFAIK Hawkins and William Cheung are not related.

namron
08-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Dont forget King Kong! Another half brother I believe who also trained WC in Hong Kong.

David is another very good TWC instructor, who last I heard 'retired?' to Queensland some years ago.

Having trained under him some years back I can say that my memory his footwork and speed was very impressive!.

anerlich
08-06-2004, 11:19 PM
In "My life with Wing Chun", there is a photograph of a group on Yip Man's birthday in 1964, including William Cheung, and his younger brother, Benjamin. Benjamin is not mentioned anywhere in the text.

This one of very few references to WC's family in the book - most of it describes his activities with Bruce Lee and Yip Man.