PDA

View Full Version : Just had to share....

Chang Style Novice
08-05-2004, 10:59 AM
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

- George W Bush :confused: :eek:

Full speech here. (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/08/20040805-4.html)

HiddenShadow
08-05-2004, 11:11 AM
what a f***in moron that bush is

MasterKiller
08-05-2004, 11:19 AM
You're not allowed to attend a Bush/Cheney speech anymore without signing a waiver that you support the re-election of Bush.

Scary stuff.

Chang Style Novice
08-05-2004, 11:28 AM
MK, I've read that elsewhere, and it's really weird to me. I thought the whole point of campaigning was to convert the undecideds and maybe if you're lucky some of the decideds for the other side.

Now they've made a policy of only preaching to the converted? Bizarre.

Meat Shake
08-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Yeah, GB was wearin his "favrit thinkin cap" when he made that decision.

@PLUGO
08-05-2004, 12:48 PM
I've never been more of a beliver in the burning bush as I've become these days?

huh?:eek:

Spark
08-05-2004, 12:55 PM
He's S-M-R-T

shrub
08-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Should Bush be arrested under the Patriot Act for uttering threats against Amercia?

Shaolinlueb
08-05-2004, 01:18 PM
man look at all that money haliburton is getting. good thing we arent spending it on important things like protecting the environment, our national treasures and the people who work for a living other then the military.

MasterKiller
08-05-2004, 01:51 PM
In other news, Halliburton just settled with the SEC for around 7 million dollars for reporting false income to artificially inflate it's profits in 1998 and 1999.....

Guess who was running Halliburton then?

The big Dick, that's who.

I still have the email he sent out company wide when he decided to accept the VP nomination....

MasterKiller
08-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
MK, I've read that elsewhere, and it's really weird to me. I thought the whole point of campaigning was to convert the undecideds and maybe if you're lucky some of the decideds for the other side.

Now they've made a policy of only preaching to the converted? Bizarre. I just find it disturbing that you have to submit your name to attend a rally. They've already demonstrated their willingness to abuse confidentiality A.K.A the CIA operative that Cheney outed to the press when her husband spoke out about the lack of WMDs pre-Iraq War.

red5angel
08-05-2004, 02:06 PM
not sure what's wrong with the quote unless you hate bush and go out of your way to give it your own spin. He's pointing out our enemies are looking to hurt us anyway they can, and the US is willing to return the favor.

Chang Style Novice
08-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Yeah, somebody should be having a necktie party by now for that Valerie Plame nonsense.

Chang Style Novice
08-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Read it more closely, Red. He probably meant what you said, but what he actually SAID was "They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

That means we never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people.

READDING COMPREHENSION 101!

red5angel
08-05-2004, 02:12 PM
That means we never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people.

right, and that's why I went out of my way to point out its spin to look at it that way.
It's funny to claim the guy is an idiot when you guys can all cackle and point at something you all UNDERSTAND and COMPREHEND, but still try to put your own spin on it. It's a laughable attempt at armchair politics. Some of you guys should work for Fox. Or maybe CNN.

Chang Style Novice
08-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
right, and that's why I went out of my way to point out its spin to look at it that way.
It's funny to claim the guy is an idiot when you guys can all cackle and point at something you all UNDERSTAND and COMPREHEND, but still try to put your own spin on it. It's a laughable attempt at armchair politics. Some of you guys should work for Fox. Or maybe CNN.

It is not our own spin.

It is what he said.

Diagram the godd@mn sentence. Find the subject verb and object. There is no ambiguity whatsoever.

red5angel
08-05-2004, 02:24 PM
no CSN and you know as well as I do that logic fails. You KNOW what he meant, and I KNOW what he meant. Because his grammar wasn't perfect means nothing, and turning that into some sort of ridicule is just silly. Starting a thread on it, then having all these people commiserating with it just goes to show why a guy like that can win again and do the job for another 4 years. There's so much smoke being blown no one can see the mirrors.

Vash
08-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Screw bush.

See, sexual innuendo and political statement all at once.

Chang Style Novice
08-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Actually, it's about whether you are willing to vote for a man so lacking in his own native language that he can't even say what he means.

red5angel
08-05-2004, 02:28 PM
See, sexual innuendo and political statement all at once.

bwahahahaaaaa!

Oh right CSN, cause the rest of us are paragons of American Society.

keeeerist if a few grammatical errors were my criteria for voting I'd have myself shot ;) If I were using those as propaganda I'd have myself drawn and quartered slowly for being more retarded then Bush.

Vash
08-05-2004, 02:30 PM
more retarded then Bush.

That's funny.

One day, I think cheney'll let bush actually do some thinkin' in that big ol' white house.

red5angel
08-05-2004, 02:31 PM
One day, I think cheney'll let bush actually do some thinkin' in that big ol' white house.

no thinking allowed in the white house.

MasterKiller
08-05-2004, 04:07 PM
It's not like this is the first sentence the man messed up. There is a reason he has held fewer press conferences than any president in modern history----he embarrases the GOP every time he opens his mouth.

Anyone know what Bush's Skull and Bones nickname was?

"Temporary"

joedoe
08-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Seriously though red5, the leader of any nation must be able to communicate clearly otherwise it can lead to all sorts of politcal and even diplomatic problems. What he said and what he meant are two very different things, and that can be a major problem especially for the leader of the most powerful nation on earth.

red5angel
08-05-2004, 09:03 PM
joedoe - anyone with a lick of common sense will understand what he meant. If this is all you guys got your gonna have to work harder to get that flip floppy Kerry in power ;)

joedoe
08-05-2004, 09:39 PM
joedoe - anyone with a lick of common sense will understand what he meant. If this is all you guys got your gonna have to work harder to get that flip floppy Kerry in power ;)

red5, I have no personal stake in this. Personally, who runs the USA is only important to me as far as they affect the nature of world politics. Otherwise, I don't really care who is in power.

My point is one that I believe is valid for any leader, at any level. If you cannot clearly communicate your thoughts and ideas to your audience then you have a problem. As native English speakers who have a good grasp of the nuances of the language, we are able to determine that he made a mistake and that what he meant is not what he said. What if that had been a speech to a foreign-language audience? Or even a group of young children?

This is an issue I have with some of the management in the company I work for. Language has power, and inappropriate or ambiguous use of language can land you in trouble.

For me personally, it was just something to have a chuckle about. Nothing more.

Toby
08-05-2004, 09:53 PM
I saw a funny quote yesterday on Slashdot: Capitalization is the difference between:

Helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

and:

helping your uncle jack off a horse.

So little things can make a big difference, like in Bush's quote. I think the guy's hilarious and scary at the same time. I hope he goes, but like joedoe it's not my country so it affects me less than you guys. I just hope he goes because he's a joke and doesn't deserve the position IMO.

Becca
08-06-2004, 01:00 AM
The really scary part is that he may not have said what he ment, but he did say what he's been doing...:(

MasterKiller
08-06-2004, 06:38 AM
joedoe - anyone with a lick of common sense will understand what he meant. If this is all you guys got your gonna have to work harder to get that flip floppy Kerry in power ;) What's a Flip flop....is that like calling yourself the war-time president one week, then calling yourself the peace-time president the next? Or repeating "The American people are safer" 70 times in multiple speeches, then a week later saying we are a country under attack? Or arguing for smaller government, while at the same time creating the largest governmental agency ever? Or trying to get an amendment to the constitution added to define marraige as a union between a woman and a man, then letting your VP's wife (Not your VP because that's too close) come out and say gay marraige is a state's rights issue?

cerebus
08-06-2004, 08:21 PM
MK has just "assassiminated" the correct!:D

Bush sounds like an idiot. He acts like an idiot. He LOOKS like an idiot. But I don't know, maybe he's REALLY a "genuise" like Blooming Lotus.

Felipe Bido
08-06-2004, 09:15 PM
www.dubyaspeak.com

Kymus
08-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
Yeah, GB was wearin his "favrit thinkin cap" when he made that decision.

lmao meat shake

Kymus
08-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
What's a Flip flop....is that like calling yourself the war-time president one week, then calling yourself the peace-time president the next?

Jeez MK, you're just so unpatriotic. I mean, really. We should never question our leader. Hey, are you sure you aren't a terrorist? I bet the terrorists love you! </sarcasm>

check this out: http://salon.com/comics/boll/2004/07/29/boll/index1.html

this is good too:
http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=42263

25 flip flops.. that takes some skill man. I'm sure the Chinese would tell him his Flip-Flop Gung Fu is great!

Mr Punch
08-07-2004, 03:45 AM
not sure what's wrong with the quote unless you hate bush and go out of your way to give it your own spin. It's not spin. He said the wrong words, which gave his sentence the wrong meaning. Grammar and syntax are important for basic human communication, especially for the leader of the most powerful country in the world. It doesn't matter if in this case everybody understood what he was talking about.

He's pointing out our enemies are looking to hurt us anyway they can, and the US is willing to return the favor. So wait a minute, what is he talking about?

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
Who is we? The Allies in the War on Terror? The citizens of the United States? Just those who voted for him? The War Cabinet? The Homeland Defence bods? Halliburton? OPEC?

And 'their country, their people'... so that includes the 'people of the country from where the enemies came' ie, not only the enemies themselves, but their people, ie civilian targets?

Nitpicking? Sure. Facetious? Maybe. Propagandist? OK...

But when words are what you use to define your actions, and thus your humanity, you'd better make **** sure your words are straight. This election, like most others IS a War of Words, and little else.

There's so much smoke being blown no one can see the mirrors.
Good point Red, about people focusing on the wrong issues, but again, what people say is an issue in itself.

LOL Toby and (unfortunately) MK.

Joedoe
I have no personal stake in this. Personally, who runs the USA is only important to me as far as they affect the nature of world politics. Otherwise, I don't really care who is in power.
I take it you were being ironic? :( We should all get the ****ing vote on this moron.

Becca
08-07-2004, 04:28 AM
Who is we? The Allies in the War on Terror? The citizens of the United States? Just those who voted for him? The War Cabinet? The Homeland Defence bods? Halliburton? OPEC?
He spacifically said "our enemies" and "us". Further into his "speach" he quailiies us and we buy implying that only he and his administration can fight "this war" properly. He never comes that close in this speech to identifying who the enemies are, but it would most likely read as "anyone who doesn't see it his way.

joedoe
08-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Mat
It's not spin. He said the wrong words, which gave his sentence the wrong meaning. Grammar and syntax are important for basic human communication, especially for the leader of the most powerful country in the world. It doesn't matter if in this case everybody understood what he was talking about.

So wait a minute, what is he talking about?

And 'their country, their people'... so that includes the 'people of the country from where the enemies came' ie, not only the enemies themselves, but their people, ie civilian targets?

Nitpicking? Sure. Facetious? Maybe. Propagandist? OK...

But when words are what you use to define your actions, and thus your humanity, you'd better make **** sure your words are straight. This election, like most others IS a War of Words, and little else.

[/b]Good point Red, about people focusing on the wrong issues, but again, what people say is an issue in itself.

LOL Toby and (unfortunately) MK.

[/b]I take it you were being ironic? :( We should all get the ****ing vote on this moron. [/B]

Mat, yes I care about his influence on world events. However he is the leader of a nation which I am not a citizen of so my personal stake in his re-election is indirect - I cannot affect the vote, so my position is that of an outsider.