PDA

View Full Version : This guy is hardcore...

WinterPalm
08-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Chiu Chi Wai
http://users.skynet.be/sb018200/default.htm

X-Warrior
08-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Uhmmm, OK forms but as a junior in sparring, I would have liked to see the application of the forms to be more certain of the 'hard coreness' of the demonstrators. I liked the throws though but missed the finishing (or submission) techniques that finishes the opponents on the ground.

-X-

SiuHung
08-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by X-Warrior
Uhmmm, OK forms but as a junior in sparring, I would have liked to see the application of the forms to be more certain of the 'hard coreness' of the demonstrators. I liked the throws though but missed the finishing (or submission) techniques that finishes the opponents on the ground.

-X-

X, not evey form in Hung Ga shows extended application. That's up to the knowledge base of the individual practitioner. But I will say that rarely does it finish with a submission.

David Jamieson
08-06-2004, 06:54 AM
He lives in Calgary and runs a dit dar clinic there.

For a man of his age, he is remarkably fit and still practices.
By all reckonings. :D

Starchaser107
08-06-2004, 07:48 AM
why does he laugh while doing the form, is he adding personality to it or feeling his qi?

Fu-Pow
08-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
why does he laugh while doing the form, is he adding personality to it or feeling his qi?

If it's the "Iron Wire" set you are referring to then they actually "express" the 5 emotions. Happiness being one of them.

Tak
08-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Hmm, maybe that would be a nice change from other people laughing while I do my forms...

Starchaser107
08-06-2004, 11:20 AM
expressing the five emotions

that's a really cool concept, southern kung fu is deep

hasayfu
08-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Si Gung Chiu Wai is as hardcore Hung Gar as they get.

I can't speak for the other demos on that site but the two clips give a glimps of the man. He is one of my inspirations.

For the laughing, it is a breathing exercise to the Qi-gong aspects of Tit Sin and Sup Ying (which is what he is demonstrating). IT's technically not expressing an emotion though there is a relationship as the set works the 5 elements

South Paw
08-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Here is an older article on Grandmaster Chiu Wai, when he still was living in Hong Kong.

Chiu Wai was born in Hong Kong in 1931 and learnt the art of Hung Kung Fu and the ancient Chinese traditional medicine from his father Chiu Kau. He won many important competions in China: in 1958, when he was 27 years old, he classified first in the form tournament, in Peking.
He won many others championships organized in the Southern China in the 70's, 80's untill 1985. In 1986, in a big international tournament, he conquered the second place in free hands forms and the first place in sparring forms with his son Dennis (Master Chiu Wai was 55 years old!).
Many of his pupils are amongst the strongest fighters of full contact fighting in Hong Kong: his son Dennis is one of them. His other son, Ambrose, was instructed both in Kung Fu style and in the ancient Chinese medicine, too.
Today he continues the practice and the teaching of Hung Ga in his gymnasium/clinic in Hong Kong. Many Hong Kong film actors were Chiu Wai's pupils. When Master Chiu Wai was young, he visited many villages in Kwantung with his father in order to disclose Hung Gar Kung Fu. This is why he is known in all of Southern China. He today is called "The King of Hung Gar".
Chiu Wai is a master still bound to the old teaching methods: he has only chinese pupils with reference. Students are full of good will, but they must pass hard tests. Only at this point they can be admitted to the school. This selection still persists despite the poor flow of people in the other schools. The request for admission in the Chiu Wai's school is still very high.
Master Chiu Wai released some interviews, expressing his ideas about martial arts world. Today there are many good "trainers", in fact martial arts are assuming a sport aspect, while the martial one is slowly disappearing: so the trainers' task, is exercising good athletes, while the "masters" work is educating pupils. They have to create skilled fighters, which practise their art with big responsibility. In fact an excellent fighter cures the internal aspect of this art and not only the technical knowledge.

Kind regards,

Fu-Pow
08-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by hasayfu
IT's technically not expressing an emotion though there is a relationship as the set works the 5 elements [/B]

Hence my quotations around "express." :rolleyes:

jo
08-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by hasayfu
Si Gung Chiu Wai is as hardcore Hung Gar as they get.

Harder than the Original Loh Faan Mastah Killah Numbah One Fightah of
the NYC Chinese Freemason's H'ung Muen Hung Gar class....JACK SPRINGER?

WinterPalm
08-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Where would I read articles on this guy? I only got the link from another forum that I cannot remember where though?
Thanks.

hasayfu
08-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Here's a nice story:
http://www.hunggar.republika.pl/mistrzang.html

It parallels the one I wrote but never got published when he visited Lam Kwoon right before his trip to Poland.

One Finger Zen
09-03-2004, 11:14 AM
this guy looks like the guy in S.I.T.E.S!!

is it him?? i'm sure he was wearing the typical studded hung gar wrist bands!

peace, OFZ

brothernumber9
09-03-2004, 12:09 PM
it's that guy's elder brother

diego
09-03-2004, 08:29 PM
lol i have never seen hungga chikung performed properly...if you didn't know what is going on in the first video you would almost think that he is on LSD tripping out on the pretty colors and funny thoughts running rampant within the minds eye:D

he waving his arm slowly then starts giggling...reminds me of acid-trippers just hitting full peak

no disrespect it just reminded me of something...thanks for the link.

One Finger Zen
09-04-2004, 05:16 AM
Does anyone know if his bro is as good as this guy at hung gar and has come as far along the path as his elder bro, so to speak?

Thanks, OFZ

;)

WinterPalm
09-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Glad you guys like the clip! My Sifu says this guy is an example of how one can practice Hung arts into their old age and not only maintain health but continue to cultivate a martial art that does not seem to let up with age. I've read some accounts of his one to one and it sounds pretty impressive. Nevermind that guy is seventy three in the video!!
Long live kung fu!!

diego
09-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by WinterPalm
Glad you guys like the clip! My Sifu says this guy is an example of how one can practice Hung arts into their old age and not only maintain health but continue to cultivate a martial art that does not seem to let up with age. I've read some accounts of his one to one and it sounds pretty impressive. Nevermind that guy is seventy three in the video!!
Long live kung fu!!

73 eh:) looks like a fit mid-fifty year old. peace

WinterPalm
09-05-2004, 01:09 PM
The man was born in 1928! Now that would make him 73 when the video was filmed and 76 now!