PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun guy clocks up a win...

Anarcho
07-30-2001, 04:57 PM
In a Sydney kickboxing tournament...

Kickboxing
David Rose
Rick Spain Kung Fu

VS.

Craig Scruton
Full Bore Lock Up

Ref stoppage second round

Interesting. To me, anyway.

JasBourne
07-30-2001, 05:15 PM
any online info about it? post link, please :)

Martial Joe
07-30-2001, 09:33 PM
I WANT PICTURES!!

He may have won,but did he fight like a wing chun guy or like a kickboxer?

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif

S.Teebas
07-30-2001, 10:27 PM
Rick Spain was a kickboxing champ before he began his training under William Cheung...you decide how much wing chun was used! :D

S.Teebas

anerlich
08-01-2001, 03:11 AM
Amazing how many people spout opinions based in disinformation.

Rick Spain was NOT a kickboxing champion before he started Wing Chun with William Cheung. He had done some Kyokushin before that, and entered some tournaments, but he was only 17 when he started Wing Chun with William Cheung.

He had over 100 amateur kickboxing matches and 37 pro fights. Among his achievements were winning a World Invitational Kung Fu (that's KUNG FU, not kickboxing) championship in 1982. This championship was fought with very light gloves and the rules allowed just about anything, including elbows to the back of the neck, etc. The championship was not held again as the number of injuries made it almost impossible to attract or retain sponsors for a repeat.

David Rose's fight last week was billed on the card as a kickboxing match, and fought under kickboxing rules, with judges and a referee from the World Kickboxing Association. So what did you see? (hint: kickboxing). If he won, did he fight well or not?

I've been Rick Spain's student for 12 years, and trained with David Rose for nearly 10.

I'm sure both would appreciate it if people checked facts, rather than post rubbish on subjects they obviously know nothing about.

Anarcho, were you at the show? It was a good set of matches, yeah?

Anarcho
08-01-2001, 02:06 PM
Nope, didn't make it myself, AbMan, I heard about it second hand. Just basking in your guy's reflected glory. :)

How frequently do you guys spar when training for full-contact competitions like that? And how long would most students train before they started getting into that side of their training?

anerlich
08-01-2001, 11:23 PM
Competition is neither encouraged or discouraged at our academy. The primary goal is to prepare students to survive violent crime.

However, some students want to compete, for the experience or because they enjoy it, and will be supported in their endeavors if they want to do that.

Sparring is required for all major gradings after the student has been there about a year.

Students preparing for matches need to have a set of skills that probably take at least a couple of years to develop. To compete effectively in kickboxing, you do need to work on extra kicking skills (as many WC kicks are illegal in competition) and we have found that boxing slips and body evasions are very effective when working with gloves on.

Sparring would be done 3-4 times a week, though these would not all be all-out full contact sessions (though a couple of rounds of each might be). Sifu will spar with the guys regularly and coach them while pummeling them. Dave Rose did some additional training at a nearby kickboxing gym (boxingworks) as well. One of the benefits of competing is that you do get to know and foster relationships with other MA organisations and teachers.

At 46, I'm a bit old for kickboxing competitions (amazing how much more slowly the bruises heal the older you get). I am seriously considering competing in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in a Master's division next year.

Anarcho
08-02-2001, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the info, AbMan. It sounds like a good set up...I'm thinking about moving into some type of full-contact competition myself, in the long term. I'm still too crappy at the moment to do much more than think about it, though.