PDA

View Full Version : just a thought about endurance

jun_erh
08-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Of course as someone who runs alot it benefits me to say this so keep in mind that bias. Let's say you go shopping at the mall. You walk around for like an hour. Then some guy grabs your bags as you head to your car OR SOMETHING. If you don't have much wind, you may not be able to chase the guy down, and if you have to fight the guy you may not have much wind left after the chase. particularly if you are totally worn out by the mall crawl.

A more general point is that a warrior should be ready for a challenge at all times, so general endurance is important.

IronFist
08-09-2004, 04:18 PM
I see your point, but walking around for an hour would hardly "wind" the average person.

(knock on wood)

Serpent
08-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Iron, you get winded watching someone else walk around for an hour!

IronFist
08-09-2004, 10:20 PM
That's why I said the "average" person. :D

blooming lotus
08-10-2004, 12:31 AM
lol............. crazy dudes....cardio is important and break it down however,. anyway you get it, is a good way.if an hours shopping walk is all you can manage, just make steps deliberate and use what you can........... do try to get a little xing ku ( hard work / lil sweat up ) in your week though ha.................... 's long as your moving , t's better than sitting out the round.......... something is something............. make it consitent, chop it up a little and you're on your way.........................

Tak
08-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Actually, IME the "average" person does get winded walking around a mall for an hour or two. At least the average metropolitan US person.

Another viewpoint: If you're outnumbered, outweighed, or outweaponed, hth are you going to run away if you don't have any wind?

jun_erh
08-10-2004, 11:12 AM
I wasn't even thinking about that but yeah the one application of running is it can improve your running in a fight situation.

stubbs
08-10-2004, 11:27 AM
yeah but if u look like 220lb + meathead then they'll probably leave you alone and steal the weak skinny guys shopping :D
________
G4a-el transmission (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_G4A-EL_transmission)

jun_erh
08-10-2004, 01:46 PM
probably true most of the time. It's not exactly a scenerio that bears close examination. But, in college I had a roomate who was a drug dealer. One of his old gang buddies from brooklyn came up once and he said they would always pick the biggest toughest guy to rob. Just for that much more of a thrill.

Chief Fox
08-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Why the heck would you chase down a theif that just stole your bags? Would you risk your life over $100 in clothes from Old Navy? You have no idea if the theif is carrying a weapon or if he is expecting you to chase him into much worse situation. So I would just contact Mall securtiy and give the most accurate description that I could. I wouldn't be winded at all.

jun_erh
08-11-2004, 06:14 PM
I would chase the guy down, kick his ass, and take my stuff back. By the time you got to mall security the guy would be long gone. Plus, I spend way more than 100 and don't spend it at that wack place

blooming lotus
08-11-2004, 06:25 PM
just had this little reasonabley fit cantonese colleague fall prey to the exact same thing, except it was her cell......she chased the guy down, caught up to him, but had no self defence skill so she didn't know what to do nxt..............lol...........

Thank god for ma ha ;)..............:p