PDA

View Full Version : Video Clips Will Help Unite Us.

YongChun
08-10-2004, 05:12 PM
I think the answer to many of the discussions are to have more video clips where people show their training and what they would do in certain situations. I just had a look at: http://www.windycitywingchun.com/movies/index.html

nice clips, nice form by Augustine Fong and the main thing very generous for sharing a lot of information. I see more and more people are doing this so that's a good thing and a more peaceful way to resolve differences and enlighten each other than to beat each other's brains in physically or verbally.

I have a question on how to do this:

1. I get a digital camera (don't know what kind?)
2. I take some video
3. Edit it with what?
4. How to convert to the various media formats like Windows media player, Quicktime etc.?

Vajramusti
08-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Ray-
Fong sifu is generous with his wing chun and ed of windy city is
good in sharing some of the materials on his windycity site.

Check out the moving single hand demo at the Fong's wing chun site:
http://www.fongswingchun.com/multimedia.html

Fong uses one hand while his partner uses both. Sifu Fong, if memory serves had strained his other shoulder for a little while
but spontaneously adapted to the demo he had coommitted to-
it requires quicktime 6 for viewing.

At the site there is also an extensive list of Cantonese wing chun related terms

and also a model curriculum which tries to organize the development of wing chun skills.... compared to teaching the old Hong Kong way- which was a different setting.

He also hasa question and answer section where he tries to briefly answer reasonable questions without reference to lineage.

There are group pictures. You will see Danny Chan there; his seniormost student and a simply awesome wing chun person and many other good folks too, including Nancy McDonald and Carina of www.little-raven.com/
She is not only a good wing chun person who can punch but she makes very good dummies, wooden bot jam dos and other good things. Most of the Fong students are not on the net and do not engage in oneupmanship or put downs..

On Ip Man's own chi sao- Ho Kam Ming is a major living source of info. since the two chi sao-ed a lot. Master Ho as part of his farewell will be at Fong's on August 21 and 22 by timely amd prior registration only.

Ernie
08-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by YongChun

I have a question on how to do this:

2. I take some video
3. Edit it with what?
4. How to convert to the various media formats like Windows media player, Quicktime etc.?

1 any '' digital '' camcorder will work but if it's just for internet , you could just get a digital camera , i have both just bought http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a80.html

the clips are recorded in avi format

2 i have a few programs , premiere , vegas 5 . but you won't need anything that heavy , the camera might even come with software mine can edit on the camera , then i compress it with http://www4.discreet.com/cleanerxl/ bootleg of course :D

you have to play with it seems tough at first but it's not

if you need help just email me

anerlich
08-10-2004, 07:51 PM
the clips are recorded in avi format

Nitpicking, but I have a Kodak LS633 and it produces video clips is Quicktime format.

Probably doesn't make much difference, but you'd probably want to make sure that the camera you buy produces its clips in a format you can easily work with.

AmanuJRY
08-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by YongChun
2. I take some video
3. Edit it with what?

1. if you can get a camcorder with digital video out. it will make your life a whole lot easier. And make sure your patch cable is compatible with your PC/MAC (i.e. firewire or USB 2.0)

2. this comes with practice (to get the best shot angle/quality, etc.).

3. Adobe premier is the best, but way pricy. The cam will probably come with MGI or Pennacle, which is just dandy for what you want.

4. the program (MGI/Pennacle/premier) will do that for you.

Have fun.:)