PDA

View Full Version : Tcm Schools

Jin
05-04-2001, 04:50 AM
Hi All

Anyone knows any good TCM school in Canada especially in edmonton?..I just found out that i fail one of my engineering course..now i'm really screwed...hur~!

Take Care
Jin :(

Kevin Wallbridge
05-04-2001, 09:21 PM
I teach at the Academy of Classical Oriental Sciences in Nelson BC. It may not be Edmonton, but we have the highest academic standard of any school in Western Canada. Nelson is also a pretty spectacular place.

All post-secondary schools in BC are accredited by the BC Private Post-Secondary Education Commission. When the Academy was accredited we were one of the few schools, of any kind, to ever be granted full status unconditionally. Shortly afterwards there were photos of the Academy on display in the PPSEC main office in Vancouver, as an example of how it is done.

The program is very tough, Chinese language (Mandarin) is required for completion of the program, only about 50% make it through. As well, Qigong and physical culture is a key aspect of the program, not just an addendum.

When the new licencing exams for acupuncture were given last fall 40% of applicants failed. All of our graduates passed.

With the creation of BC's Traditional Chinese Medical Practitioners and Acupunturists College, the first professional governing body to cover all aspects of the profession in North America, there will now be four different specializations. Two three year programs, one for Licenced Acupuncturists and one for Licenced Herbalists. A four year Practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine program. A five year Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine program.

Look for the website at www.acos.org (http://www.acos.org) but if you want to get in this fall you'd better move fast.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

Jin
05-04-2001, 11:23 PM
Dear Sir

thank you for your help, i appreciate it.

I'm thinking of dropping Engineering. Could you please approximate the total cost of studying in your college (ie.tuition, living expenses, accomadation..etc.)?

thank you for your kindness
Jin

Ps. I did not know that we live so close, i'm in Penticton right now for the summer. May i ask where did you learn Xinyi?

Kevin Wallbridge
05-05-2001, 11:26 AM
I'm looking at this hours before I'm leaving for Ontario for 4 months, so I don't have any numbers at my finger tips. However you can contact the school (they keep normal office hours) at acos@acos.org, or 1-888-333-8868, or 1-250-352-5887. Talk to Debbie Sigfusson, the administrator, she can fill you in on all your questions.

As for Xinyi, I train with Eric Tuttle. Eric is a disciple of Yu Hualong, a Xinyi master in Shanghai. In fact Eric just spent the winter in Nelson and plans to do the same thing next fall. He is from Kingston and I'm going there to train Yin Fu Bagua for the summer. So if you are interested in Chen, Xinyi or Bagua then Nelson is actually a pretty good place to be.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

PerfDavid
08-14-2002, 11:24 AM
I was wondering if anyone new about the correspondence schools for traditional chinese medicine. I have seen a couple on the net, and wanted to know what people thought. Are they any good, bogus, thorough, or not worth it?
I have an extensive background in western medicine and wanted to broaden my knowledge base. I also saw that one has to go to China for the clinical part. Any idea how long it is?
Anyway, any bit of information would be helpful to know if I am following the wrong path. BTW, there are no schools in my area, and I am not planning on moving to be near one. This would just be a hobby.
Thanks

"Wei wu wei"

TaoBoy
08-22-2002, 05:30 PM
Which schools have you seen?
Can you post the links?

PerfDavid
08-22-2002, 08:59 PM
So far the main one I am looking at is www.tcm.medboo.com

They are affiliated with TCCATCM, from which I have heard is the premier institute.

I have emailed them and they are sending me some names and addresses of people here in the USA that have done this course, so I can ask them their opinions.

Do you or anybody know anything, I am desperate for information. I really want to do it, but do not want to waste my time learning from a hap-hazard program.

The other site I did not find to my liking was
http://www.bhmai.edu.cn/english/

This is more of a continuing education place. These are the only two programs i have found.

Let me know what you think.
David

TaoBoy
08-25-2002, 05:17 PM
PD,

I couldn't open the first link. And I don't know anything about the organisation presented in the second.

My preference is to study with a bricks and mortar institute - I find these correspondence schools are general easier on students and provide poorer quality tuition and less support. Why do you want to study by corresepondence? Are there no local TCM schools?

Final thought - visit www.acupuncture.com - they may have some info.

PerfDavid
08-25-2002, 06:18 PM
I am sorry about the first site it is:
http://tcm.medboo.com/

I am just wanting to learn this info for personal knowledge and growth. I was planning on going to China afterward and spend one week with the school in their clinical setting and the other visiting the rest of China.

The second web site sends out cd roms that show how to use this knowledge clinically because they have filmed it at their school.

Anyway, I am just wanting input if anyone knows anything.

Also, you are right, no schools in my area. Plus, I have a highly prosperous career and do not have the time or plans to attend a school setting in a classroom.

Thanks,
David

Repulsive Monkey
08-28-2002, 08:01 AM
I'm sorry but its impossible to learn Chinese Medicine through correspondance and would severely frown upon any college that offers such a course.
Any college that says its possible to learn Chinese Medicine and be able to practice it vis correspondance is well into the realms of medical negligence.

tri2bmt
09-07-2002, 05:08 PM
I am going to be taking an introduction course into chinese medicine based more on philosophy and some clinical practice involving a weekend seminar.
I don't think that will infringe on the whole needing a school and teacher there if it's just knowledge and basically studying the ideas behind the system.
The school is located at acupuncture.ca.

urban tea
10-03-2002, 12:48 PM
I agree with Monkey. If it is almost impossible to learn kung fu from instructional videos, what makes you think you can heal people watching videos?

A sifu once said, "Learning from videos? You guys can't even do it right when I"m here, how are you going to learn from a video?"

Kung fu is not easy that's why it means "hard work."

Chinese medicine is only more internal and difficult.

You have a background in western medicine but the TCM approach is way different. And whoever said going to a clinic in china for a week, that isnt' long enough.

You need to find a sifu/doctor who is willing to accept you as a student. THen you'd stay for at least a year to learn, not everything, but just something.

And this student/teacher relationship doesnt' cost money. Then you'd have to worry about learning that dialect of Chinese to learn and communicate better.

Nexus
10-04-2002, 09:38 AM
We have a school for Oriental Medicine, T'ai Chi, Chi Kung and Massage Therapy (soon to come) here in Anchorage Alaska. Visit http://www.touchoftao.com for more information.

cha kuen
08-10-2004, 09:48 PM
I am in San Jose and I'm looking at a few different Chinese Medicine Schools.

East West Medicine in Sunnyvale (since 1998)
American College of Chinese Medicine - San Francisco (since 1980)
Chinese Culture and Health -Oakland (Since 1980)

The rankings have the SF school as a top 10, while the others aren't in the top 10.

The question is...some people say that the TCM school is just to get enough knowledge to pass the state license exam. But some people don't look at a school just by the pass rate.

The Sunnyvale one is closest to my house. If I was just worried about passing the exam and not about anything else, I would just go to the Sunnyvale School. I plan on taking seminars from well known masters to learn the deep and good stuff anyways.

OR

I would go to the SF one, but it's just so far ! ! 45 minutes...

Has anyone been to these schools or had freinds study there? Any opinions?

woliveri
08-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Poll several students from each school. Get their opinions regarding the Teacher's Openness regarding material beyond the classroom. If you get the same answers from each group then I would select the one closest to you or the least cost.

A story to indicate why:

I know a TCM Doctor who is Chinese. He went to school here in Orange County and even though he is Chinese he was STILL taught only enough to pass the exam. TCM is still handled very much like Most Traditional Kung Fu is so you'll have indoor students and outdoor students. So this particular guy went back to his homeland of Taiwan and learned from a close friend and relative and thus was brought to a higher level. This is something you need to be concerned about, or at least I would.

So, if it were me, I would learn what I needed to to pass the state board then the real learning would begin. Since I have made good friends with many Chinese TCM doctors I would have no problem getting training at a higher level.

You know one high level TCM Doctor but whether or not he takes students is another story.

BTW, what is the charge up there to attend their school.

HTH,

cha kuen
08-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Hey wolveri

All the schools are around 27-30k for the entire program. I heard a few people advise me to stay away from the Oakland school and the SF school is in the top 10 rankings so I am leaning toward them.

I will visit the school first and I do agree that the real learning is from master's not just classes.

I know one in Hong Kong but I don't know if he will teach me, he said he will but I dont know if he is serious. The one you introduced me to in LA mentioned that he is thinking about teaching but he is still in the thinking process.

There's a student of Share Lew in San Diego that teaches classes and seminars so I could learn from him and also Efrem Korngold in SF, which I heard is also good.

GeneChing
09-20-2017, 08:33 AM
China starts them young. I wonder how akin this might be to the Wushu promotion programs they have rolled out in elementary schools.

Traditional medicine courses rolled out in Chinese schools as 12-year-olds learn acupuncture (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/14/traditional-medicine-courses-rolled-chinese-schools-12-year/)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/china-watch/China%20Watch%20supplement/Hangzou-6_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJ vuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg?imwidth=450
The news has divided Chinese society CREDIT: JACK SOLTYSIK/CHINA DAILY

Frank Hersey, beijing
14 SEPTEMBER 2017 • 1:25PM

Children as young as 12 in China’s Zhejiang province will learn the benefits of massage, how to eat in line with the season and how to administer acupuncture.

The province has become the first in the country to add traditional Chinese medicine to the curriculum, in what could be a provincial race to curry political favour.

Starting this term, children in the final year of primary school in the wealthy eastern province will have a weekly Chinese medicine class taught by their schools’ science teachers, who have been trained by the Zhejiang University of Chinese Medicine over the summer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/09/14/TELEMMGLPICT000083606008_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqek9vKm1 8v_rkIPH9w2GMNoGXySPv9M1Jbe0Fc3Bi1Fk.jpeg?imwidth= 1240
A child walks past various herbs and ingredients used in Chinese traditional medicine for sale at the Caizhuanyue Market in Yulin CREDIT: AFP PHOTO / JOHANNES EISELEJOHANNES EISELE/AFP/GETTY IMAGES

The Zhejiang education authority has had to respond to concerned parents, explaining that the course content will not be part of school exams.

Chinese media reports that 100,000 textbooks have already been distributed and a further 600,000 are quickly being printed.

Fang Jianqiao, the president of Zhejiang University of Chinese Medicine, said that at the 2011 national parliamentary congress, committee members had called for traditional Chinese medicine to be added to the curriculum “not just for the medical knowledge, but the culture and philosophy behind it and as a way to boost young people’s confidence and pride in their country”.

In February 2016 the State Council, China’s cabinet, released the "Strategic Development Plan for Chinese Medicine (2016-2030)" which seeks to push knowledge of the medicine into campuses and homes and also promote Chinese medicine abroad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/09/14/TELEMMGLPICT000000507713_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq5sXhkGf 5k4c028Vyj7yi7lMCS0zh4LBYUz8X_g6XOyQ.jpeg?imwidth= 1240
Workers weigh Chinese herbs at a Chinese medicine shop in Hong Kong CREDIT: KIN CHEUNG REUTERS

Professor Fang said that the whole country will soon have the course and that Zhejiang got there first. “Our province is devoted to Chinese medicine. In fact, Party General Secretary Xi is committed to Chinese medicine. When he visited a community hospital in Xi’an in February 2015, he remarked ‘We also like to go to see Chinese medicine doctors.’

“Primary and secondary students learning Chinese medicine isn’t just to help them improve their own health, it’s also a way to get Chinese medicine’s scientific values and spirit into every household. Instilling a love of our country’s traditional culture in primary and secondary school students will be good for the health of the whole society,” Professor Fang told the Qianjiang Evening News.

Reactions have been mixed. "Poisoning yet another generation,” "Let's also start courses in fortune telling and palm reading” are some of the comments on Sina Weibo, similar to Twitter. Yet many people believe in the principles as a way to live healthily and use Western medicine to treat acute illnesses.

In 2015 China won its first Nobel Prize in a scientific discipline for a discovery that stemmed from Chinese medicine, though the jury specified that the prize was not being awarded to the tradition.

Tu Youyou discovered how to extract anti-malaria drug Artemisinin from the artemisia annua plant which has been used for centuries in China to fight the disease, though her practical methods were modern.