PDA

View Full Version : If you had to fight tomorrow...

El_CLap
07-29-2001, 09:44 PM
If you had to fight someone who you didn't know anything about tomorrow, or even a week from now, and you just had a little time to train, would you train any differently? Would you focus on something specific for a day or a week? Or do you always train like you're going to fight? Do you even train to fight? I mean, I know what I'm supposed to do if someone does a flying jump kick at me, but I've never trained for it. I would probably be so surprised that it would knock the heck out of me. Maybe. Or what about a boxer, who doesn't ever bridge. Just sticks and moves. I think I could handle that but so much time is spent on chi sao, that I don't know. Just a thought.

PHILBERT
07-29-2001, 09:56 PM
What I would do is train not only physically, but mentally. If I knew there style (Monkey, Mantis, JuJutsu, TKD, whatever), I would try to find info on the net and at the bookstores and martial arts shops around me on there style. Kind of notice at some of the stuff that there is in it.

I would then practice in areas I need practicing in. If there is a certain technique I don't have the best experience in blocking and counter, I would take time to focus on that. I would work out a little bit harder and deeper than usual also.

It would really depend on what the situation called for though.

PHILBERT

Losttrak
07-29-2001, 10:17 PM
Stretch. Eat some carbs. Buy some fruit for the next day. Learn the layout of the area we are gonna fight. Call up some friends so I have some backup in case of multiple attackers. Give the chick a smooch before I go then listen to some Method Man on the way there.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

wongfeilung809
07-29-2001, 11:18 PM
a lil meth never hurts

Martial Joe
07-30-2001, 02:48 AM
First of all I would not train phsyicaly.
Stretching is good but no lifting.

Yeah I am sure eating good is great.
This kid wants to fight me right now.It could be tomorow or whenever,I dont really care,I am not changing anything.If I had to really work on anything it would be entering.

And this kid is a really dirty fighter.He hit my friend in the head with a chain a few times when my friend was getting into his moms car,so I plan I bringing people.I will go thinking the way I normaly do...I will focus on just one thing,and that is to hit him.

That is my cenerio in a nutshell...

tnwingtsun
07-30-2001, 03:02 AM
lol@simpleangles
:D :D

whippinghand
07-30-2001, 06:55 AM
This is what training is for.

mun hung
07-30-2001, 10:24 AM
Right before the fight I'd drink a few cans of Red Bull, watch "Enter the Dragon" a couple of times (only the fight scenes) :D and find my lawyers number. ;)

Abstract
07-30-2001, 03:07 PM
that, and on my way to the fight, listen to "Duck Down" by BDP...trust!! it's the ULTIMATE 'get hyped' track...! ;)

JasBourne
07-30-2001, 04:27 PM
If I had to fight someone I didn't know anything about, and I had a day or a week before the fight, I would make it my business to find out everything possible about my opponent. The more you know about your enemy, the better chance you have of defeating him. No trick is too dirty ;)

martialdoulos
07-30-2001, 06:06 PM
If one has to fight tomorrow, how he will fare has been pretty much determined by his training so far. There is not much prep you can do, and by that I mean, mindsetting is all that remains.

If you have not fought against someone with his particular characteristics/style, then you are at a distinct disadvantage, and your performance will be a matter of how well you can adapt to something completely foreign at that time. No internet study will help you -- the only thing that will help is the fighting experience you have gained to that point.

We MUST continuously be fighting against those that are of different systems, learning to adapt to them, and TESTING what works and what does not. If your technique is untested against a given style, your adaptability is doubtful. Training must be done with boxers, kickboxers, kung fu men, karate men, judo men, jujitsu men.

If your sparring has not been against a sufficiently diversified group of people under stiff contact conditions, you are left to the realm of "luck" which is a place where we do not want to relegate our fate.

I see where ELCLAP was going with this, and he is correct. We must have trained appropriately LONG before the fight is to occur. If one has to fight tomorrow, REVIEW is all that remains. Learning is not something there is time for, because learning in the head is insufficient -- your approach (tactical and technical) must be planned, TESTED, refined and RETESTED. Without testing, technique is unproven, and the old adage from those who have engaged in lethal combat in that past is, "Never enter battle with an unproven weapon." Why? Because that is the way Mr. Murphy takes over and defeats you.

I strongly encourage everyone to re-evaluate their training methods, for it is TRAINING METHODS, and not technique, that make the fighter. And suffer no illusions, colleagues, if you do not consider yourself a "fighter", you ought not to consider yourself a martial artist. There is no such thing as a martial artist who is not a fighter.

"I will punish thy bodies in training, for verily, the more thou bleedest in training, the less thou bleedest in combat"
-- Rogue Warrior, Dick Marcinco

PHILBERT
07-30-2001, 08:37 PM
martialdoulos, my best friend does Aikido, and I never have seen Aikido performed before to the best of my knowledge. All I knew was that consisted of throws. We were gonna spar one Saturday afternoon, and the day before I ran over to the bookstore and bought Budo, by Morihei Ueshiba and read it that day (not the entire thing, but read a great amount of it). I then practiced at the gym sparring, and the park, and a few other places. The next day, knowing some knowledge (not alot compared my friend) we sparred and I won. He didn't know how to counter my attacks like I knew how to counter his.

PHILBERT

Shadowboxer
07-30-2001, 09:30 PM
I would do triangles and more triangles, plus all the groundwork I've learned at this point- just in case.

martialdoulos
07-31-2001, 03:16 AM
Not to argue, but I am...

I am speaking of taking a scientific, thoughtful, determined approach to the idea of winning on a consistent basis against a vast array of people -- the fight "tomorrow" being an example. I am not speaking of those instances of victory that we have all tasted, that may or may not repeat themselves. Such instances are chancy, as I said before -- relegated to fate. I do not accept this as sufficient.

The difference between "practicing" and "training" is manifold -- the mentality is completely different. One "practices" and art, and one "trains" for combat. There is a difference. Aikido men, unfortunately, do only the former.

I am speaking of fundamentally changing the manner in which one approaches the subject of training. Training includes not only technique, but supplemental conditioning, such as running, calisthenics, lifting, stretching, etc. Becoming a total athlete, for totality is the goal. Simplification of technique, testing of application, forging of body, focusing of will -- these elements are the foundations of CONSISTENT VICTORY.

If one thinks that I ever stated that reading wouldn't help a person to continue improving, he should re-read what was written, and examine my library...

vertical fist
07-31-2001, 04:34 AM
Good posts, martialdoulos.
"We MUST continuously be fighting against those that are of different systems, learning to adapt to them, and TESTING what works and what does not."

Are you sure there are no aikido fighters who don't train for combat?

El_CLap
07-31-2001, 03:05 PM
Wow. That was kind of what I was getting at just not as well put. Thanks Martialdoulos for your excellent posts.

Basically if I was really fighting tomorrow I honestly feel that I have not trained for it. I have not trained for every instance, and while I 'know' certain moves and techniques for countering most things, I haven't trained them sufficiently so that they are instinctual. I haven't tested most of them to make sure I can do them correctly. I have not been hitting a rock bag or a heavy bag to make sure that my hits (provided that I can get them in on a resisting opponent; another thing I need to train) have enough power to end the fight. Sure I think my stance is good and stable but I haven't really had someone try to take me down in a while. Anyways these are the things that bother and 'scare' me. I hope to remedy most of these rather shortly.

martialdoulos
07-31-2001, 03:55 PM
Thanks man.

There are some good Aikido men out there -- specifically the Tomiki stylists. They are the only realistic ones that I have personally seen out there. They do tournaments actually. Since Aikido techniques are totally defensive, its an interesting setup. One guy has to do X number of unexpected attacks with empty hand, knife, etc. If he can land the attack on the defender, he gets credit. If the defender can succesfully throw/immobilize the attacker, HE gets the credit. I've seen some very good technique from them.

However, as a former traditional jujitsu/aikido man, I can tell you that, from all my experience, I have never seen them train for matching of any sort. Their techniques simply are designed for an attacker who utilizes fully commited blows/grabs -- as opposed to the feinting and broken rhythm of a "matching" situation.

Judo men are the best combative throwers I've seen. They always train in randori against fully resistant opponents -- and they're just flat good at moving people. :)

Nexus
08-01-2001, 12:58 AM
I would try to get ahold of the guy and settle the dispute verbally even if I had to suck up my pride and appear to be the weaker individual.

And if that didn't work, I would fight him if/when he attacked me.

In the meantime, work on your fighting mindset, learn to punch "through" something, rather then just punching "at" something.

Learn intent, and use it to your advantageous.

Or, when it comes down to it, do something tricky to gain the immediately advantage.

Popular ideas:

1. Dirt in the eyes
2. Foot in the groin
3. Eye Gouge
4. Solar-plex Punch
5. Walk up to him telling him you don't want to do this, and then proceed to bash his face in.
6. Break something on him quickly and he will probably not fight back. This can be (arm, knee, fingers, wrist, neck!?)

- Nexus

Freedom is what you do with what is done to you. - Sartres

Super-Fist
08-01-2001, 01:19 AM
If I had to fight tomorrow...I'd prepare by drinking some Alize or some good ol' fashioned Remy Red Cognac.

mysteri
08-01-2001, 09:14 AM
One is weak because he makes preparation against others;
he has strength because he makes others prepare against him.
-- Sun-Tzu

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

mun hung
08-01-2001, 10:25 AM
What was that? I take it you don't fight much. Good for you. I really enjoyed your "6 elements of surprise". How about number 7. run for your life! :D

Nexus
08-01-2001, 10:51 PM
Most fights that I have nearly got in, have been with people who had something to prove in front of groups of people. Being the person who I am, and having MA experience, I had nothing to prove.
In these circumstances I will walk away and defend myself only if attacked while doing so.

In the fights I have been in without that option I have tried to end things quickly without anyone seriously getting hurt. The last fight I was in, the guy attacked me (he was obviously untrained) and I just let his incoming force run into my fist and he collapsed and didn't want to fight after that. I think all he had was a black-eye.

It is not common in most peoples lives to need to fight much. In fact, the only people I know who fight often are people who go out looking for fights. Although not fighting often really has nothing to do with skill, as long as you train with real life scenario/practical applications.

:eek: The best way to get a good buttkicking though is to randomly attack your teacher while he/she least suspects it, for instance while they is talking to the class or giving a demo. :eek:

- Nexus

Freedom is what you do with what is done to you. - Sartres