PDA

View Full Version : how to know if it's kung fu?

GuSpeed
08-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. For you people who study kung fu could you please tell me what you guys do in class?

In my kung fu class, we stretch then do drills in horse stance and other stances. We then get a break and work on forms. Is this similar to how other schools teach?

The kung fu study I practice is "eight animals eight methods". Not that I'm skeptical about the art but I'm just curious. My Dai Sigung who made up this style in the 1974. He stuided choy lay fut from his father and learned techniques from other style from his friends. I'm just curious how good can this style be?

I don't know if any of those matters, but I really do enjoy the class and all the stuff that I learn.

Fu-Pow
08-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Sounds like a made up style....oh well....if you like it then why even bother to ask us?

Or is there something more.....?;)

GuSpeed
08-11-2004, 07:34 PM
sometimes I feel skeptical and not sure if it's a good fighting art. But apparently I can't even keep up with my any of my classmate in a spar. I guess it's a good style but just made up recently.

Shaolin Dude
08-11-2004, 09:45 PM
in my school we stretch, do line drills, and then forms. sometimes we spar, padwork, and stance training.

GuSpeed
08-11-2004, 09:47 PM
pretty much from all the experts here I shouldn't worry that it's cho suey? I mean it's not like we are a well known school or something cause we're not. Thanks for the input anyhow.

David
08-12-2004, 12:58 AM
So long as you're not being extorted in fees, the ability of the seniors impresses, and you don't mind the lack of lineage, then carry on.

If it was me, it would have had to have had the mother of all recommendations to convince me to go there, just because of the lack of lineage, but that's a personal bias.

The lesson plan seems normal for kung fu. Hopefully, you're not wearing karate gi's... ;)

Good training,
David

GuSpeed
08-12-2004, 07:14 AM
Actually I've been in it for a long time now and he has never charged me a dime!! I learned kung fu from him as a child and stop and now just got back into it. He say that I'm family and he won't take money from me unless I was making decent money which I'm not. I think that's really cool.

Usually is there any other trainings that other kung fu school do? Like additional work out to better their kung fu or just practice more kung fu? Thanks in advance for all these newbie questions.

David
08-12-2004, 08:40 AM
You haven't mentioned any power-training or conditioning. Some styles do those and some don't and I don't know what CLF normally does.

Rgds,
David

Knifefighter
08-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow
Sounds like a made up style... All styles were made up at one point or another. Just because someone makes up a style doesn't necessarily make it better or worse than another style.

Fu-Pow
08-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Knifefighter
All styles were made up at one point or another. Just because someone makes up a style doesn't necessarily make it better or worse than another style.

Your statement is so ridiculously general that I can't argue for it....or against it.

Nice try at a troll though....this ones not biting.;)

joedoe
08-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Well, if they aren't able to throw chi balls and run up walls and fly, then they aren't a real kung fu school :D ;)

Aqira
08-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Actually I agree with the statement every style was made up at some point. As well there are so many styles and martial arts developed all over the world.

But then again the style that lasted was always critiqued adjusted tested and improved as it developed. So both sides are right and wrong.

But is it Kung-Fu? no its martial arts

Do you learn, are you improving, what other schools can you train at instead in your area, what are you looking to do, what is important to you are just a few questions that could help more if you find those answers.

GuSpeed
08-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Thank you for all the inputs. I think this is the school for me. There's power breathing if that's what you mean by conditioning.

David Jamieson
08-13-2004, 05:12 AM
but I really do enjoy the class and all the stuff that I learn.

For me, that's good enough.

kungfu is something you strive for. In any discipline.

cheers