PDA

View Full Version : closing the gap

stubbs
07-29-2001, 09:25 PM
how does wing chun close the gap between themselves and their opponent. as i understand it, wing chun works best for short range (correct me if i'm wrong as i don't do wing chun) so how do you close in over a couple of metres? does you shuffle, walk, jump, skip. some of those are too slow and others make you loose you centre of gravity and connection with the ground.

stubbs

"satisfaction loses,and humility gains"

EmptyCup
07-29-2001, 09:39 PM
i was taught to cross touch or jump in. Check my post "Entering Techniques" for more detail on the way I was taught and the way others do it, or teach it...

Sihing73
07-29-2001, 09:50 PM
Hello,

Footwork varies from one lineage to another so there are really many different answers to your questions.

I have found that it is not advantageous for me to "chase" an opponent. I would rather let them come to me. After all, they have to be able to reach me in order to do any damage. If they can reach me, I can, most likely, reach them too.

I think you will find that most people will establish a bridge and then move from there. For deep chasing Bic Bo is pretty useful and pretty fast. But, the disadvantage is that your feet are prety much in a straight line and your balance is weak side to side. You will also find that in the knife form there are stepping methods which will allow you to cover a meter or two very quickly, but they are pretty far along the learning curve.

Peace,

Dave

burnsypoo
07-29-2001, 09:52 PM
Quick answer "use your legs and go in". But maybe going out to engage the opponent isn't the best thing to do?

I think that a lot of WC people get caught up in the "wing chun stance" for fighting. (that is to say, ANY "stance"). There's no reason to assume any kind of side stance when you're 20 feet away. Don't waddle, shuffle, hop, or even jump over, just walk like a human being. When you get within a step's distance to strike, then you do what you have to do. Within that range, the fight is on, and you must close the distance as quickly as possible, in the best way. Using an arrow horse, jamming horse, whatever, you'll use whatever's appropriate once contact is made. It's the classic Wing Chun answer. "it depends". Anyone who has a defined way of "entering an opponent" is leaving a very big hole in their armour.

When you're witihin that "one step-hit" distance, then one of three things will happen. You move to get him, he moves to get you, or you both move and meet each other at some point. (none of those necessarily head-on).

We need visual sensitivity to guide us to the proper positioning, and let our reflexes and timing take care of the rest once we've gone in. If it means a kick to the knee and a lop to the lead hand, fine, whatever. If it's just blasting up the middle and eating up his centreline, cool, whatever. It really doesn't matter right now, because it will totally depend at the time.

Stepping drills are VERY important in this respect, as you really need to be mobile enough to capitalize on any opportunities. Maybe you'll flank him as he comes forward to attack you. Maybe you'll angle in on him and trap him. Maybe you'll "kick the post" as he's trying to fend you off with his foot.

"Successful" gap closing, is about having proper positioning coupled with good timing which are both taken advantage of with visual sensitivity. It's not about a certain technique that you may or may not use.

Burnsypoo.

Armin
07-30-2001, 07:49 AM
Hi Stubbs!

"We" do it like this: I don't do anything until he is close enough to attack me with his longest attack (if he's bigger than I am) without another step - normally that's sidekick-distance. That's my "point of no return", because if he reaches that distance it's impossible to get away without being hurt.

If he gets into this distance, that's the point where I move forward, bringing forward both hands and one leg and thus occupying the centerline. Due to his coming forward, too, I get into hand-distance with one step (remember: every kick ist a step ...) and I may hit him already with a kick.

Armin.

jesper
08-01-2001, 11:50 AM
I tend to agree with Sihing73. Dont go to your opponent wait for him.
I have found that the best aproach for me is to wait until my opponent is within reach, and then counterattack as soon as he sets himself up for the attack. Its all about timing, and it will take a while to learn. But once you get it its a very effective technic.

The reason is that if you manage to hit your opponent while his commited to your attack, most people will freeze up for a split second because the brain cant compute whats going on. Its the same effect as the karate shout, which contrary to many beliefs do work if done properly.
As for you hitting him, it doesnt have to be a hard strike, slapping his arm or foot works just fine, just remember the immidiate follow up or its all for nothing.

Sifu Tony
08-05-2001, 07:26 PM
I too agree with Sihing 73. To speak of closing the gap, is to speak of you needing to get to the opponent. In a REAL fighting situation in the street, You should be trying to avoid the fight, so that makes the distance between yourself and the bad guy, his burden. Unless we are speaking of a sporting event,and Wing Chun isn't a sport, there are very few times when the closing of the gap should be the problem of the Wing Chun fighter. If the other guy wants to do you harm, let the distance between the two of you be his problem. To hit you, he must be able to reach you, so he has to move to you, and as Sihing 73 pointed out, if he can reach you, you should be able to reach him.

Sifu Tony Massengill
3rd Generation Lineage Instructor
Ip Man Family Wing Chun Kuen
www.wingchunkungfu.cc (http://www.wingchunkungfu.cc)