PDA

View Full Version : Bagua Hsing-I In Santa Barbara County?

xicano7
08-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Hi. I will be moving to the Vandenberg area, from L.A., and would like to know if there are any real martial arts instructors in this area. I've looked online and see that there are alot of schools, but nothing that I'm looking for. I am a beginner, and would really appreciate it if anyone can let me know if there is any real training in this part of Ca- Lompoc, Solvang, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, etc. I am interested in any quality Bagua, White Eyebrow, Wing Chun, or Hsing-I. Thanks alot

jacob360
08-19-2004, 10:05 PM
There was Wing Chun in Santa Barbara, but I'm not sure if it's still there. Here's the contact info, but it's a couple years old:

Santa Barbara Wing Tsun
PO Box 40115
Santa Barbara, CA 93104
(805) 895-9056
Armando Dominguez

Let me know if you find anything, I'd seriously consider driving down there. I live in San Luis Obispo.

The central coast is pretty sparse when it comes to traditional Chinese martial arts. I do take Tai Chi (Yang short form) at the Wushu Taichi center here in SLO, but it's focus is on health. My instuctor knows Tai Chi (Chen and Yang), Bagua and Hsing Yi, and how to fight with them as well, but they'll only teach applications in private lessons (I think $75/hour), and only after you've taken Tai Chi for a couple years with them. They won't even let me into the Bagua class until I've completed the 24 and 48 form Tai Chi (about two years). By then, I'll probably move back to LA, and find a good instructor that teaches everything, probably Jason Tsou (I've heard alot of good about him).

PEACE

jacob360
08-19-2004, 10:16 PM
If all you want is to learn how to fight well, Chuck Lidell's gym, SLO kickboxing (slokickboxing.com) is here in SLO, they have Muay Thai and Submission Wrestling. He recently beat Tito Ortiz in the UFC. Also, John "The Train" Hackleman, the guy who taught Chuck how to fight, teaches Hawaiian Kempo at his gym in Arroyo Grande, The Pit. (thepitslo.com)

I had my heart set on TCMA, but considering what we've got up here, and wanting some practical fighting skills, these two gyms are some good options.

PEACE