PDA

View Full Version : Shooter said this - explain

Kaitain(UK)
08-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Hi - dunno if Shooter posts here anymore or not, but he wrote this on Bullshido:

"The 4 Corners are the tactical shape of the body as they apply the 4 Directions. Let's not forget though...we're talking about something very dynamic and omni-directional. In training these ideas, the Tai Chi forms are masterpieces. They were arranged by some very introspective people who had tremendous acuity to the internal order of their understanding, and martial expression. They were capturing common movement patterns that they had observed in themselves, and the people they crossed hands with.

The 4 Corners represent these basic movement patterns and their methods of contact. The 4 Directions represent the bio-mechanical theories for powering the 4 Corners. "

I don't want to colour this with what I think it means - I'm more interested in hearing what you think about the relation between the four directions and the four corners.

Cheers

Paul

Kaitain(UK)
08-13-2004, 12:55 AM
ok so noone bit :)

My understanding of the four corners was they were to be used when one failed with the four directions, a kind of fallback. I was told that the four corners were harder techniques, whereas the directions could be used in a softer manner.

When I'm sparring or doing freeform pushing (with strikes and throws) then the corners often come out as my first option.

I know what I'm doing feels right, but I'd be interested in learning other's understanding of the four directions and four corners. Shooters stuff makes sense to me so if anyone would care to expand on what he had to say I'd be interested.

Thanks

Paul

yangchengfu04
08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Shooter can be found on Bullshido.net Leave a message for him there.