PDA

View Full Version : Getting VHS tape clip to Web?

YongChun
08-12-2004, 03:02 PM
I am wondering what's the best way to get some Wing Chun VHS tape clips to the web?

Ernie
08-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Buy an analog to digital converter or use the connections through the digital camera :)

using a converter and depending on the quality of the vhs , you might run into some audio sync issues

been doing this for a few years , takes some getting used to , but i converted my tapes to vcd [ in the 500 range all martial arts ]

great way to save stuff and share stuff

sihing
08-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Ray,
You have to get a video card and have it installed on your computer. Then you can hook up your VCR to your computer and make a video file. It's more complicated than just this, but that is the basics. After that you need some web space to put the clips on. I know someone that just bought a new digital camcorder and they connected the camera to the VCR and transferred the video to the digital video on the camera, all they have to do now is download it to a computer and there you go. Any computer experts on here?

Sihing

Opps, looks like Ernie beat me to the post, lol....By the way Ernie, how many CD's does it take to hold all your stuff...

YongChun
08-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks Ernie.

Any recommendations on converter or camera?

sihing
08-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Hey, I think there are places that can do this conversion for you Ray. I've seen them around here in Calgary, I would call up a electronics place like Future Shop and ask if they know of anyone that does this type of stuff in your area. They would put the video on a CD/DVD disk for you.

Sihing

Ernie
08-12-2004, 03:24 PM
http://www.adstech.com/products/API_550/intro/api550intro.asp?pid=API-550

started with that one , now i have a canon digital camcorder
but i converted everything already

james ,

man i got shoe boxes full of vcd's but it's better then boxes filled with tapes :)

now i have a dvd player that plays avi / divx /mpeg and so on so i convert everything to xvid or divx dvd quality on a cd can't complain

sihing
08-12-2004, 03:36 PM
yes, I'm going to have to buy a DVD player soon. And it's so much better on the space management too, lol. Yeah I can just imagine all the stuff you have, probably would take a week to just go through it all ah..

James

Phil Redmond
08-12-2004, 03:39 PM
I use a very high tech way of putting VHS video clips on the web.

First I put a tape into the VCR and hit play. Then I aim my digital camera at the TV screen voila... a video clip....LOL

Ernie
08-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Honestly ,
except for some old rare footage of really talented people that are no longer with us , all the other stuff is just one big blur :)

people just don't move the same anymore , to much marketing , ranks and belts

i love the back yard or old village stuff i have were you see this amazing individuals with such speed and grace

but that was then .......................

sihing
08-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Phil,
LOL, good one, old fashioned way ah....

sihing
08-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Ernie,
I have some old footage of stuff like that of my Sifu. It was after a long day of grading back in 90', and since the camera was there a practice session was inspired, WOW, some vintage stuff with grace and speed demo'd on that day. I used to watch that stuff constantly, and I honestly believe that it has helped in my development in WC.

James

AmanuJRY
08-12-2004, 10:09 PM
The cheapest, easiest way is to buy a DAZZLE a/d converter. It will accept stereo audio and a video in RCA or S-Video from your VCR and it comes with MGI video studio. Runs less than $40(us).

Shadowboxer
08-13-2004, 08:55 AM
if you would like for me to convert your clips for you.

AmanuJRY
08-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Correction, the a/d converter I was speaking of runs $50-$70 (US), here is a link;

Dazzle 80 - A/D video converter (http://google-cnet.com.com/Dazzle_Digital_Video_Creator_80/4014-9332_9-30590023.html?tag=pl&q=dazzle)

Matrix
08-13-2004, 09:39 AM
There are two reviews of dazzle on that CNET page. Both are Thumbs Down. Caveat Emptor.

Bill

AmanuJRY
08-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Matrix
There are two reviews of dazzle on that CNET page. Both are Thumbs Down. Caveat Emptor.

Bill

Well, I own that very one (Dazzle 80), the only problem I had with it was when I switched to XP, but an update fixed that. The video that I have converted using that was a bit washed out, but I can't say whether it was the Dazzle or my camera.:confused:

This is just the cheapest device I have found, I'm sure there are much better or full featured. IMO the best way is to have 'FireWire' (IEEE 1394) ports on your machine and a vid/cam with a direct D/V out, one 'FireWire' patch cord and your preferred software for production. Direct, simple and effective (although the more expensive way to go. Unless you pirate your software, which I'm not suggesting). Middle of the road methods would be; upgrading video card to one with RCAs or S-video (around $100-$200 us), or a different A/D converter.

Matrix
08-13-2004, 09:57 AM
Justin,

I'm not saying that it's not a good device especially for the money. I just think folks should investigate further before putting down their cash. Check other sites, ask around, whatever.

I may just look into myself. ;)

Peace,
Bll

Ali Hamad Rahim
08-13-2004, 10:54 AM
I used a dazzle vsh converter about $70. bucks @ best buy. And it works, good hunting, but the best deals is on e-bay. Oh yeah, be careful files names our case sensitive And they will change when they hit your internet server.

Ali Hamad Rahimdetroitwingchun.com

AmanuJRY
08-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Matrix
Justin,

I'm not saying that it's not a good device especially for the money. I just think folks should investigate further before putting down their cash. Check other sites, ask around, whatever.

I may just look into myself. ;)

Peace,
Bll

Definately, if a person has the $$ to spend, I would recommend the cam with a D/V out and a cpu with a firewire or usb 2.0 port, they would be more likely to stay with the tech. curve then. Go the cheap route (like I did) and you're in the stone age in a few short months.:D