PDA

View Full Version : Yip Man Wing Chun Couplet

brody
08-12-2004, 03:38 PM
What does the caligraphy on both sides of the picture mean?

http://www.wle.com//products/b279p.html

brody
08-12-2004, 03:46 PM
woops, didn't mean to start a new thread on the same subject. user error.

Vajramusti
08-12-2004, 05:32 PM
I have a good translation somewhere- but my information retrieval system is technologically challemged.

On the top of IM's pic-- I think it is just Wing Chun Tong.

On the right - after the wing chun letters- it praises the art.

On the left it says among other things that "the art will shine in all of China"--- or something like that..

Hendrik or someone could translate that. If I find my translation or the translator- I will get back and post- unless someone else does.

Ho Kam ming has his own traditional tablets

and I noticed Wang Kiu does too in his seminar pics.

Joy

David Peterson
08-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi All,

Loosely translated, the couplet reads (R to L), "Pass on the art of Wing Chun undiluted, in order to create a mighty China." As explained to me by my late Sifu, the implication of the couplet is that we should always strive to pass on the complete art, not just our own interpretation, derivation or favourite techniques, so that each successive generation can draw the maximum benefit from what Wing Chun has to offer. In other words, while we may not use every word in the dictionary ourselves, that doesn't mean that we should remove words from it which another person may find of use. This supports the notion that my Sifu always put forward, that Wing Chun is a CONCEPT-based system, not a technique-based one, and as such, passing on the entire spectrum of knowledge contained within it, whether personally utilised by us as teachers or not, is the only way to see the system flourish and develop from generation to generation. By the way, next to the three characters above the portrait of Yip Man (which read "Wing Chun Training Hall" - Wing Chun Tong), is the signature of my Sifu, Wong Shun Leung, who did all the calligraphy used in this particular poster. Cheers!
DMP

Vajramusti
08-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks David
Joy

Vajramusti
08-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Further comment on David's good to the point post and representation of his sifu;s view as well.

Passing on the conceptually undiluted corpus of wing chun knowledge as Ip man urged- is not an easy matter,

As David pointed out and by implication- passing on only a teacher' s favorite motions and techniques is regressive....
and makes the art weaker and weaker....over time.

CFT
10-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Haha, thread revival!

Here is a wiki link to the 1st two chars. of the 2nd line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaxia

Huaxia (simplified Chinese: 华夏; traditional Chinese: 華夏; pinyin: Huáxià) is a name often used to represent China or Chinese civilization.

In Cantonese: Wah Haa.