PDA

View Full Version : 6 harmonies, 5 steps

Kaitain(UK)
08-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Hi again,
Just reading through some posts elsewhere and these two concepts keep arising.

Can anyone give me information on how these should be trained and conceptually what they represent in Taiji? I understand the five steps as merely forwards, backwards, left and right and nothing - is there more to them (I guess there must be)? The six harmonies I took as the relation between the joints and the correct movement that is striven for.

Any and all information appreciated - training solo at the moment so I don't have anyone to ask.

Thanks

Paul

Edit - I mean of course advance, retreat, look left, gaze right and equilibrium, I was just using basic terminology

Shooter
08-14-2004, 06:58 AM
It's odd that people are reluctant to discuss these very basic, and core components of taijiquan with you.

6-harmonies represent the essence of taijiquan's structure, movement and energy-management, and mind/intent.

5-steps represent the strategic method of applying taijiquan in a combative context.

Kaitain(UK)
08-15-2004, 05:05 AM
Hi Shooter - thanks for the response. I was hoping you could expand on the five steps - what and how you train them, basically some guidance to help me along with my solo training. I have a lot of friends I can train and spar with, but none of them train Taiji - I want to develop my taiji combatively, so I need some help :)

Thanks

Paul

Shooter
08-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Paul, I'm sorry I can't help you. There are too many things involved and most of it has to be appreciated in real-time to get the underlying meaning(s) of the ideas.

There are a lot of things you can pick up from text, but you have to have people who can work within a specifically structured training format. That again isn't too difficult to present in writing, but everyone has to be on the same page when it comes time to pressure-test the ideas. In doing so, at least one of your training partners has to be proficient in emulating various styles and methods used by trained fighters.

I'm surprised SPJ, Fu Pow, or a few other knowledgeable theorists haven't offered up some information for you. They're always full of it in these matters.

At any rate, I don't really see the need to train 5-steps or integrate 6-harmonies into your taijiquan. Taiji boxers all over the world are fighting successfully in all sorts of venues without knowing wtf that stuff is anyway! ;)

Since you're in London, I'd suggest contacting the wudang tai chi crew. They get by just fine without knowing much about 6-harmonies, or how 5-steps facilitate taijiquan strategic aspects. Perhaps they can show you how to circumvent those core elements and move away from the hokey BS upon which the founding masters based their taijiquan. :p

Just drill the techniques over and over again like every other modern, 'practical tai chi' boxer. Forget about being empty, neutral, and truly spontaneous. Forget about learning to blend and yield. Forget about leading by following. That crap is the stuff of mysticism and antiquity - has nothing to do with modern-day 'practical tai chi'.

All the best to you in your training

Bruce

scotty1
08-23-2004, 06:55 AM
I think I sense some sarcasm in your post Shooter.

Correct me if I'm wrong!:D

SPJ
08-23-2004, 05:37 PM
These are good and very good questions.

However, they are too general or too broad to answer.

To study how to fight with Tai Ji Quan.

You need to study Push hand first.

The 4 Zhen (fronts) and 4 Yu (corners) are imbeded in the practice of Push hand drills.

Three basic ways to fight with TJQ.

1) Hua Fa (neutralization and release of Jin)

2) Da Fa (hitting)
-neutralization and hit
-Qin Na and hit.

3) Qin Na (grappling) and anti Qin Na

I will be writing books to answer.

Sorry about the delay.

:)

SPJ
08-23-2004, 08:41 PM
5 steps.

Jin, Tue, Gu, Pan, Din.

Advance, retreat, move to the left, move to the right, central/neutral.

Zhuong Din (central/neutral):

You move one of your foot in between the opponent's 2 feet in the centerline. So that you may push forward.

Other steps are following steps.

For example:

The opponent is moving his right foot back, you move your right foot forward. vice versa.

The opponent is moving his right forward or center, you move your right foot back.

There are 2 basic drills in Flexible step Push hand (Fo Bu Twei Shou).

1) Advance 3 steps; retreat 2 steps: 4 Zhen Push method.

It is a 2-people-5-step drill.

2) Advance 3 steps; retreat 3 steps.

It is also called 3 rings tied (San Huan Tou).

These are from my notes.

Maybe you can find a book on Push Hand. There will be more explanations on how to practice the 5 steps.

Best of luck.

:cool:

SPJ
08-23-2004, 08:50 PM
If you are alone, you may be able to draw circles for the steps on the floor with a chalk.

You practice both sides.

Yes, it is very basic. But it is also very important.

Your steps follow your hands. Your hands follow your steps.

Your moves from the upper body follows moves from your lower limbs. Vice versa.

San Xia Xian Suei.

:)

SPJ
02-10-2005, 07:52 AM
hi;

Here is a link to my new book on the 13 body methods (Shen Fa).

Tai Ji 13 Shi (http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~29892.aspx)

:D