PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Whipping Hand

Sihing73
07-13-2001, 09:31 PM
Hello,

I have noticed that in many of your posts you only give half answers. I was wondering why this may be. If you truly have knowledge to share then why not do so in a manner condusive for others to learn? Some of your replies in the quikness post in particular to Martial Joe seem to have little value. Again, if you truly have something to share then why hide behind less then complete replies? Unless, you really don't know the answer which is also fine :) After all we are all here to share and learn from one another, right?

Just curious I would have emailed you directly but did not see an email address :confused:

Peace,

Dave

BTW: Sometimes those that make the most noise have nothing worth hearing.

Martial Joe
07-13-2001, 09:49 PM
I dont think there is a significance to it.
I know that wing chun isnt boxing and that boxing isnt wing chun...

Whipping Hand said that wing chun isnt boxing but boxing is wing chun,well if wing chun isnt boxing there is no way boxing is wing chun,it is quite clear this way.

Sihing73
07-13-2001, 10:43 PM
Hi MJ,

I understand your point but I am still curious as to why some if not all of Whipping Hands answers are so cryptic. This is the point of my post and question. I used you as an example, although I am sure there are many to choose from.

I am sure Whipping Hand has much to offer and posesses a great amount of knowledge. However, this is worthless if it is not shared. To be shared knowledge must be relayed in a manner which is accessable to those it is being given to. Many people hide behind cryptic sayings in order to mask a lack of knowledge, again not saying this is the case here. I would prefer to discuss this with Whipping Hand directly as there may be things I can learn from him, unfortunately his profile lists no email address. Thus this post.

Peace,

Dave

Martial Joe
07-13-2001, 11:56 PM
Well you can really say that he most likely holds a great amount of knowledge because no one here knows that accept for him...
...And as for the things he sais being so cryptic,he is iether to lazy to say things and needs something big to put him into gear.Or on the otherhand he just isnt to bright,but I dont think anyone would say something about boxing and wing chun like that unless they had something very intelligent to back it up or they are just plain stupid or confused...

No one will know untill he answers...

NOTE:I am not calling Whipping Hand stupid...

IronFist
07-14-2001, 12:12 AM
"Whipping Hand said that wing chun isnt boxing but boxing is wing chun,well if wing chun isnt boxing there is no way boxing is wing chun,it is quite clear this way. "

Let's reword this.

"A rectangle isn't a square, but a square is a rectangle."

That's a true statement.

Still, I realize it's different here, but the form of that statement can hold true some times.

Ok, i'll go back to my corner now.

Iron

whippinghand
07-14-2001, 08:29 AM
Good point Iron Fist. I'm glad somebody could make some sense of it.

Everyone else.... I will say one thing. I TRAIN Wing Chun, I don't practise it. What do you think that means?

But by all means, keep this discussion going. I like it.

Sihing73
07-14-2001, 01:26 PM
Hi Whipping Hand,

Thanks for making a "contribution" to this topic. I would still like more input whihc actually answers a question. I really do not see any point in continuing this if you have decided not to be forthcoming.

I would still like to discuss things with you directly via email so please feel free to contact me, my email address is listed in my profile :)

BTW, I may be visiting in Ottawa in early September. I believe this is about 4 hours from Toronto, where your profile indicates you are located. Perhaps we could meet during my visit.

Peace,

Dave

Gazza
07-14-2001, 08:47 PM
Hi there I do enjoy reading your stuff,you have
much wit. However it looks like you put much thought,effort,(practice) into your posts rather than just letting it out naturally as something you just do (train). Do you know what this means?

stay cool
Gary :p :D

EmptyCup
07-14-2001, 11:36 PM
I also live in Toronto. If you come up here when you go to Ottawa, let me know as I have an interest in meeting you. You have almost two decades worth of experience in the art and have learned from numerous teachers from varied lineages. I'm sure we could exchange much usful information with each other. I'm always open to improvement and I think there is much I could learn from a meeting with you. :)

Sihing73
07-15-2001, 12:14 AM
Hello Empty Cup,

I am sure that there is much I could learn from you as well. I am always open to meeting other people. The problems I run into are usually related to work or family. Time is hard to come by when my #1 priority is my family.

I recently accepted an offer to train some members of a karate school on a monthly basis although I would prefer not to. Sifu Chow was asked to train them and decided he did not wish to make the commute. He offered me the opportunity to train them as a means of making some extra money to cover the cost of my going back and forth to NYC. I do not make bad money but having six kids can make it goe quite fast ;)

The reason I would be coming to Canada is to support a member of Augustine Fongs lineage who will be hosting Sifu Fong for a seminar. This is Sifu Fongs first visit to Canada, to my knowledge and should be a good time for all. I am hoping that, if I can make it, I will be able to swing some extra time to visit with some fellow Wing Chun family members.

Peace,

Dave

BTW: For anyone in the NY/NJ area I will be commuting once a month on a weekend so if anyone would like to meet on a Saturday let me know. It looks like early evening or late afternoon would be available for me. This would be once a month in addition to the class I attend on Tuesday nights.

EmptyCup
07-15-2001, 12:38 AM
When is the exact date of Augustine Fong's seminar? Is it in Ottawa or Toronto?

Sihing73
07-15-2001, 01:35 AM
Empty Cup,

I believe it is the middle of September. I know it is Ottawa but I misplaced the email with the details. I have sent off a request for the details to be sent to me again. I think it is being hosted by Patrick Gordon but it is not listed on either his webiste of Sifu Fongs site as of yet.

As soon as I have more details I will post them.

Peace,

Dave

Conversely, should you ever visit Philly feel free to look me up. Right now I am a bit out of shape but as I am now training others I have put firming up a priority. I'll bet by the seminar I will be almost my old self :p At least I know I'll be old, LOL.

whippinghand
07-15-2001, 02:19 AM
I know exactly what you mean. However, I am very particular about what comes out of my mouth, as well as my hands. I like to be as accurate and precise as possible.

whippinghand
07-15-2001, 02:22 AM
What exactly is the question?

As for being forthcoming... I will be forthcoming on MY terms, not anyone else's.

My e-mail address is now available.

[This message was edited by Whipping Hand on 07-15-01 at 05:32 PM.]

Sihing73
07-15-2001, 03:41 AM
Hello Whipping Hand,

Thanks for the email address. I have sent you a message directly in the hopes that we can begin a productive dialogue.

Peace,

Dave

Gazza
07-15-2001, 04:35 AM
I'm sure you are,I was just playing around ;)

Thankyou I like your posting.

Gary

sunkuen
07-15-2001, 05:46 AM
I've been watching this forum for awhile now and I think Whipping Hand is simply showing us good wing chun.I for one give thanx to whipping hand for sparing us the long winded replies some experts feel are necessary.

Watchman
07-15-2001, 06:53 AM
What's wrong with being long-winded?? :confused: :p