PDA

View Full Version : Legs and Back Training

IronMonkey
08-14-2004, 01:19 PM
1. Im looking for exercises that can really increase the strength of my back so I dont have to slouch and so my back wont hurt at all. I dont have access to gym equips and stuff, only two dumbells at home and my body, heh.

2. Ok, my legs are real weak, mostly my knees, but I already know how to condition them. I wanted exercises for calve muscles and for thighs, please help.

IronMonkey
08-14-2004, 10:07 PM
cmon guys, help me out please, heh :D

Toby
08-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Deadlift, squat and pullups.

IronFist
08-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Legs - Hindu Squats

How heavy are your dumbells? Maybe you could do some kettlebell exercises with them.

IronMonkey
08-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Legs - Hindu Squats

How heavy are your dumbells? Maybe you could do some kettlebell exercises with them.

10lbs each, heh, they work good enough for me, I am only 14 anyway, so what are kettlebell and how do you do Hindu squats?

Toby
08-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by IronMonkey
... I am only 14 anyway ...Ignore my earlier recommendation.

fa_jing
08-16-2004, 03:24 PM
That much weight won't really be enough for your legs. I think Hindu Squats, horse stance, bridging would be good for you. Sorry, don't have time to explain, I might get to it later.

IronMonkey
08-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
That much weight won't really be enough for your legs. I think Hindu Squats, horse stance, bridging would be good for you. Sorry, don't have time to explain, I might get to it later.

I was thinking about doing Horse stance, and thats probably what I might do. Thanks anyway.

fa_jing
08-17-2004, 07:02 PM
you should combine a static and a dynamic movement. static=horse stance dynamic=hindu squats. You will like the effect better. Try one before the other for a week then switch for a week. By then you probably figure it out. Make up your own variations. Go at your own pace, and work hard and you will achieve results. If you can practice the basic 4 kung fu stances it is good exercise too. Also, run sprints if possible.

bung bo
08-17-2004, 08:41 PM
to get your legs strong you can do one-leg squats. and you could do reverse hypers for your lower back and pullups for your upper. you should stick to bodyweight since your bones are still growing.(or keep the weight not insane heavy.)

_William_
08-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Hmmm... I always thought it was a myth that heavy lifting stunts growth in teenagers?

I hope this isn't true, because I'm 15 and one of my favorite things to do is lift.

But then there might be some truth to it... I measured my height a few weeks back and found that I hadn't grown a whit since a year ago. I was horrified, until I realized that people are taller in the morning so I measured my height in the morning instead of the afternoon and I was indeed slightly taller.

So I suppose my growth rate has slown down, since I used to grow taller really rapidly.

I suppose maybe this is just natural changes and not a result of weight training? Maybe someone can give me their opinion on this. My routine consists of bench press, pullups, cleans, and squat, and I go fairly heavy.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether heavy lifting can really stunt growth?

blooming lotus
08-18-2004, 04:55 AM
very cool to hear a young guy getting into it :p :D

I have a back curviture in my lumbar ( mid - lower back ) region and If I don't do some strength exercises I get a little weak and sore myself.

To improve strength here, I do pushups ( knees are fine if it's all you can until you're strong enough to do harder) for about 50 at a time as many times in hour as I can manage. The good thing about this exercise is that by moving your hands to different angles and widths you get to target different muscles, but your body will tell what's working as you experiment.

You can also use those weights to clasp in front, raise directly verticle through your center line, knuckles facing, move them above your head and circle down and out widely in a big circle with your arms squeezing through your back when you do it.

For your lower back you can try laying on the ground , hands under chin, flat on the floor, and keeping your legs really really straight, raise them high as you can, and bring them back down slowly.

I like my thighs and I'm quite strong there. I like to do wide squats all the way down , back really straight and butt pointing like you want to poop high on the wall behind you. (Funny but good work.) I do 50 - 100 of these at times and if I have more energy, I do some with my legs closer together, knees almost touching and feet directly ahead.

for my claves, which are also really good, I just do sets ( groups ) of 50 raises on my tippy toes. I usually change the direction my toes are pointing in and out after each set for about 4 sets until I'm back to my original position.

Oh. and It might be worth , for both thighs and calves, to take your dumbells and tackle some stairs, either really quickly running up, with hands and weights by your side, or really slower and low with weights in a curl to your chest. Maybe you can even try jogging up on your toes. try for around 5 -7 flights minimum at a time and don't forget to enjoy your progress. ;)

welcome to our forum

:D :cool:

cerebus
08-18-2004, 05:03 AM
Please ignore Blooming Lotus. We taught her wrong as a joke. :D :D

blooming lotus
08-18-2004, 05:09 AM
Look Cerubus.

That was really good advice . Let the kid do something useful and take some advice that 'll further his progress.

For god sakes :mad:

rubthebuddha
08-18-2004, 08:45 AM
scary enough, bl was pretty much right. at 14, he should work more on general strength and coordination than pure brute strength, and doing what bl suggested in that specific post would accomplish that.

i'd also suggest (sigh) running and a variety of sports to make sure all the parts and pieces work together.

blooming lotus
08-18-2004, 08:57 PM
why scary ??!!??......... for gods sake you all get carried away with yourselves!!!!!!!!

So I drink sometimes and my typing skill sufferrs. you pi*s me off!!!!!!

Ps: still studied more than most of you, and you'd still kiss my as* ( or wanna chat min ) if we met in person.......... the guy was asking for advice in earnest. he is 14 and potentially on a path to greatness...... lvl 1 for a lvl one pre - early teen programme mr . I'm so strong I ''ve never acheived 1/2 the things crazy B has :rolleyes:

Now be kind and help the kid if you have anything more to add........ remember , he has only dumbells and considering his age and that he has a budget to consider.....

help the dude out already!!!!!!!!!!! ( if I didn't cover it myself)

Ps: little dude: If you can't afford a boxing bag, you can practice with your wall ( just don't connect so often ;) )

this will help your back muscles develop, your strike form and your core.

Anyone else???

Cheers lil babe. you'll find here that sometimes folks are more concerned with looking good or popular than giving good and useful advice, but I'll always have you covered. Pm me If you want more specifics.....

Regarless of how nasty or intimidating they seem, really they're Pus*y cats and we're all rooting for your success ;) :D :)

IronMonkey
08-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Your cool Bloom :D Thanks for the advice, and yes, on a path to greatness indeed :D May sound silly, but I want to achieve something that only a few have, after all, my idol is Bruce Lee :D Also, just to add...

1.What is Reverse Hypers? (bung bo said it)
2. Forget about the budget, as long as I dont have to buy a whole training gym, heh.

I will start my own workout this Sunday and here is the place I might talk about my progress. Thx for advice guys. Always just add different exercises here that you think might help. :)

Toby
08-18-2004, 10:40 PM
... I want to achieve something that only a few have, after all, my idol is Bruce Lee :DYou want to be a movie star? :confused:

It's funny to see Eyebrows trying to garner some support before the kid learns better.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 03:12 AM
and this from W*nks who haven't even mastered their own bodies ( pls see push up thread) :rolleyes:

have the numbers in support. you're still a conceited wa*ker to me.........

Toby
08-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
and this from W*nks who haven't even mastered their own bodies ( pls see push up thread) :rolleyes:

have the numbers in support. you're still a conceited wa*ker to me......... I resemble that remark! :mad: I'm most certainly "master of my domain". Oh wait, maybe that's not what you meant ...

bung bo
08-19-2004, 07:04 AM
IM--reverse hypers--lie prone on the floor, put your hands behind your head and come up by using your lower back. it's like a crunch except your body is going in the opposite direction. you can do these off a bench or a bed to make them harder.

good luck. i agree that bruce's determination is inspiring. he is someone that truly knew himself.

Shaolinlueb
08-19-2004, 08:08 AM
at 14 you should probably jsut do machine work outs that work the back, rowing, stuff like that.

IronFist
08-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by bung bo
IM--reverse hypers--lie prone on the floor, put your hands behind your head and come up by using your lower back. it's like a crunch except your body is going in the opposite direction. you can do these off a bench or a bed to make them harder.

Are we sure about that? I thought reverse hypers required a special machine...

bung bo
08-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Ironfist--i think so, but i might be wrong. whatever they're called, thay will tone up your lower back. good mornings pretty much did away with my lower back pain. and core work

rubthebuddha
08-19-2004, 02:05 PM
ironfist -- bung bo is right. they're also called supermen, and they're decent for a lot of the posture muscles on the lower and middle back. folks with weak asses and hamstrings may feel it in these places a little too.

the good: no gear is needed. if you want, you can hold a dumbbell behind your shoulders or a medicine ball behind your head to make them more fun.

the bad: the range of motion is very limited, hence the term HYPERextension -- you're already at straight posture, and now you go beyond it. these are a good exercise after you've already done some good ROM work.

the ugly: do NOT leave your keys in your pocket when you try these. :(

Toby
08-19-2004, 04:42 PM
2/3 down (http://www.westside-barbell.com/louies_equipment_line.htm).

IronMonkey
08-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Toby
You want to be a movie star? :confused:

It's funny to see Eyebrows trying to garner some support before the kid learns better.

LOL! No not a movie star, Bung Bo has the idea I think. And thanks Bung, I will try that exercise.
Shaolinlueb: I dont like working with machines.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Are we sure about that? I thought reverse hypers required a special machine...

I don't know about yourselves, but I definately am. of course you can work with make - shift apparatus. As long as you remember to squeeze through your lower back / butt, drawing your stomache muscles in and down as raise as opposed to your raising through your stomache and let it hang out frontly.

Ps: the boy already said he wanted some information on muscluar endurance developement and bwe ( considering lack of facility and equipment) .... and if he did want to be a movie star , I might even be able to give him a contact :rolleyes:

can we get overselves now and just help the dude out a lil??? Yous think??

Toby
08-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Ps: the boy already said he wanted some information on muscluar endurance developement ...When did he say that? Not in this thread. He said:
Im looking for exercises that can really increase the strength of my back ...Strength != endurance.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 07:51 PM
I could've sworn he said that at the begining of the thread though I again , I've beenbusy so may've remembered wrong

Ps: Iron monkey : hyper is short for hyper extend and reverse is probably in relation to your back or rear muscle of that group ;):P

Toby
08-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Ps: Iron monkey : hyper is short for hyper extend and reverse is probably in relation to your back or rear muscle of that group ;):P Correct! Reverse hyperextensions. Well done!

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 08:07 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

well god help us ., we're agreeing :eek: .that's 2x in 24 hrs..........

IronMonkey
08-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Ok, now I mostly need some quads and hamstrings exercises. Post any that you know of.

blooming lotus
08-21-2004, 11:44 PM
weighted lunges and work your side kicks ( well chambered) for some good high vol sets.

IronFist
08-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Ok, now I mostly need some quads and hamstrings exercises. Post any that you know of.

Deadlift and full ROM squats :)

blooming lotus
08-22-2004, 04:36 AM
he already said he only has some dumbells.

You could tell him about / give him links to shots of pistols though

Serpent
08-22-2004, 05:40 PM
There's nothing to stop him doing deadlifts and full range squats with dumbbells, if that's all he has. Especially if he loads the weight on as much as possible. Also, lunges and pistols, with dumbbells or without. Stair lcimbing with dumbbells is another possibility.

IronMonkey
08-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Ok, thanks guys.