PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here live through the Hurricane?

Royal Dragon
08-14-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm hoping our Florida office got obliterated.

Mediocrity
08-14-2004, 02:20 PM
We survived with nary a scratch.

But we're also in Kentucky.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-15-2004, 01:29 PM
just heard from my buddy todd last night. he's in daytona and he sat on his porch and watched it. yes i believe him absolutely. this is the same mental giant that blew his head off (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=237&highlight=head) and not only lived to talk about it, but had an amuature boxing match 2 years later.

he said that the sky turned midnight blue and purple and all kindsa ****. the sky was just going crazy, like the gates of hell opened right up and let loose a malestrom. he said it was the most amazing thing he's ever seen. i guess his family was yelling at him to come inside, but he gave them five accross the face.

he described it better than that, but i was really drunk when he called me back last night. ill talk to him again today and post if he mentions anything else worthwhile.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-15-2004, 01:55 PM
i just got off the phone with him and he said that there was lightning almost constantly and when it would flash the sky would light up aqua and marine colors and occasionally purple. i guess daytona got "lucky" as there were only 2 fatalities and not too many structures were completely leveled or anything. there's branches, mailboxes, gutters, powerlines, and all kinds of stuff littering the city, they still dont have power, and it wont stop raining.

Ray Pina
08-16-2004, 05:38 AM
There was some decent surf from all of that but I popped my knee and had to sit it out:mad:

Tak
08-16-2004, 08:15 AM
I was in orlando when it went through. It was down to a class 1 or 2 by then, so not a huge deal, although it still did lots of collateral damage and knocked out power and water for much of the region.

I went down to Port Charlotte on Saturday, where the hurricane hit land with peak force, and the whole area looks like it got carpet-bombed. Tons of people's houses were totally demolished; the hotel my mother-in-law manages was completely demolished (and some people rode out the storm in their rooms even though they were ordered to evacuate - VERY lucky to still be alive - the roof was torn off, walls were torn apart, appliances, beds, etc, were hurled around).

Restaurants and grocery stores were giving away their perishable food before it could spoil. Some people have generators, but the nearest working gas stations are 30-60 miles away, depending where you are. I estimate a month before Pt. Charlotte has power again, and a week or two before they have drinkable tap water. The streets are full of wood, tile, broken glass, downed power lines, etc.

Meat Shake
08-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Thats too bad. I wish the best for all of the victims of the hurricane.

TaiChiBob
08-17-2004, 05:03 AM
Greetings..

Although Orlando was spared the fury of the Port Charlotte area we were (are) still digging out of it.. the landscape has changed dramatically, many majestic old trees are destroyed and laying on buildings.. it is 4 days since Charley hit and many intersections are dangerously unregulated.. gas and perishable foods are still at a premium..

As for me, i lost my chimney, the roof vents, +/- 25% of the shingles, all the food in the refrigerator, my maple and cedar trees, and the privacy fencing is gone.. and, i feel fortunate compared to others in the area.. my neighborhood was brushed by a twister, and i spent Friday night and most of Saturday running a chainsaw to get access to some less fortunate neighbors..

I am grateful to have lost so little, i am encouraged by the remarkable spirit of people in a time of crisis.. and, i have learned much from this about the nature of the human..

Be well..

Ray Pina
08-17-2004, 05:33 AM
Great attitude! I hope all is well for you down there and that the next **** storm stays well offshore so we get more than a drive-by shooting of a swell up here.

Be well.
Ray