PDA

View Full Version : A Question about Lineage??

Hungfutkune
08-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Hello all in the Wing Chun world. I have a few questions and am wondering if anybody can help me.

I just started doing Wing Chun in Shanghai, and so far it's been great. I have been having private classes for a few months and have just completed Siu Lum Tao. My Sifu is originally from Foshan (Fotshan?) in Guangdong Province. His Sifu is Mai Yaoming. Has anybody heard of this sifu? and my other question is from what lineage does this wing chun derive from?

Unfortunately I cannot ask my sifu, as I don't speak Chinese and he does not speak english. Which makes for interesting classes but it does force me to be more observant.

Is there many different lineages and do they differ much? I noticed that on a web site, I saw a version of Siu Lum Tao but some of it's movements differed to the ones I learned. Hope to hear from somebody soon!!

Thanks!!!

Vajramusti
08-15-2004, 09:36 AM
If memory serves re a past post-
your sifu's background could be from the Sum Nun line.
Rene- if he sees this may give some more information...
since he is from that line.

If you are learning the forms well and developing skills to go with it
at this stage I wouldnt worry about the differences.

There are some differences even in the slt accross lineages.

Even when the understood principles are the same in different wing chun lineages-in the details there are differrent methods at times in teaching them.

dfl
08-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Mai Yao Ming (aka Mak Yiu Ming) comes from the Cheung Bo (his grand teacher) lineage, according to Leung Ting's book, "Roots and Branches of Wing Tsun". The pictures presented therein show a strong flavor of YKS/SN WC, IMHO.
Every WC teacher does things slightly different depending on his/her own understanding and experiences. Sometimes the sets are done entirely differently, even in the same lineage, due to different interpretation of theory. It is best to follow your own teacher's way because he may have a different interpretation on things than the other guy whose video you see on the net.

Hungfutkune
08-15-2004, 11:27 AM
DFL, thanks for the info on my lineage question.
I totally agree with you in regards to following my teachers way of doing things. I studied hung gar for 4 years (Tang Fong lineage) in the past and I am a strong believer that all lineages are good, I just want to know which lineage I am learning so when I return to Canada, I can find other people with the same Lineage and concepts.

Also, excuse me for my ignorance but could you tell me what your abbreviations stand for ie: YKS/SN, WC (i assume wing chun) and IMHO.

Thanks again!!

AmanuJRY
08-15-2004, 11:41 AM
YKS = Yuen Kay-San
SN = Sum Nung

YiWan
08-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Hello all in the Wing Chun world. I have a few questions and am wondering if anybody can help me.I just started doing Wing Chun in Shanghai, and so far it's been great. I have been having private classes for a few months and have just completed Siu Lum Tao. My Sifu is originally from Foshan (Fotshan?) in Guangdong Province. His Sifu is Mai Yaoming. Has anybody heard of this sifu? and my other question is from what lineage does this wing chun derive from?

Hi Hungfutkune,

in your post about your teacher from Shanghai, "Looking for Wing Chun in Shanghai", I was giving you answer already... So now Im copying it just from there... :

Hi,
Mak Yiu Ming sifu is an exelent master in Fatshan. His students have won many times Fatshan Jíng Mo Chi Sau Bei Choi some years ago.
His lineage is " Wai Yuk Sang - Cheung Bo - Wong Kut Chuen - Mak Yiu Ming.
I know Mak sifu since 1999 and think, his wing chun is good, really good !!!
greetings
YiWan

Hungfutkune
08-16-2004, 05:05 AM
Thanks Yiwan,
I never saw the post in the other forum, but thank you for reposting it here.

What lineage of Wing Chun do you do Yiwan??

Thanks to everybody for the info!!

CFT
08-16-2004, 05:13 AM
HFK, you must pay more attention! ;)

Ivan's sig. at the bottom of his post explains all.

Hungfutkune
08-16-2004, 05:20 AM
Oops, Sorry!
Is my face red now!!

YiWan
08-16-2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Hungfutkune
Oops, Sorry!
Is my face red now!!

:-)
look there :
Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun (www.wing-chun.cz)

greetings
YiWan