PDA

View Full Version : Mo-Style

Eddie
08-16-2004, 02:46 AM
I am gathering info on a sword style called Mo- style. This is the same Mo-style as the religion Mo-ism from the founder Mo Tz (his real name slips me now) who opposed confucious. I have a basic idea of the history, but I need more. I was also wondering if there are others who practice this style.

From my understanding, this style is the mother of Japanese Kendo, and they use the Miea Dao (formally known as the Mo- Dao) which is very similar to the katana.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Eddie

norther practitioner
08-16-2004, 07:16 AM
It is related to the Larry and Curly styles.. :D

sorry, I have no info on this.:D

GeneChing
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Ok, I don't know about a Mohist based style called Mo, but there is Mo Jia, more commonly known as Mok Gar (cantonese). One of it's more famous exponents was Mok Gwei Ying, Wong Fei Hung's 4th wife.

As for the sword, do you mean a Miao Dao? I think that's named after the Miao minority. Can you nail down the Chinese character for us?

CLFNole
08-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Are you taking about Mo-Dung sword, which is better known by its mandarian name Wu-Tang Sword. They were famous for their sword style and it would be linked to Taoism.

Peace.

Brad
08-17-2004, 07:45 PM
and they use the Miea Dao (formally known as the Mo- Dao) which is very similar to the katana.
Sounds like he's talking about a Miao Dao though.

Eddie
08-18-2004, 05:51 AM
thanks for the replies,
Im not looking for wutang. Miao Dao sounds more like it. Its similar to the katana, but the hilt is more like the sai (if that makes sense)? If what I have been told is correct, I suspect that this is mostly where the katana came from.

The style is still taught in beijing, and the chinese charactors is not that of Mok Ga, but as I said the same as in Moism (which is also the same mo which is found on bridges before the builder's name 'Ghr Mo ')

I tried to get some info on a sword forum, but so far no luck. As I said, it is said that this style is the mother of kendo. Its very much like kendo, but only with chinese 'flair" (to steal CLFNole's words).

Gene, which styles uses the Miao Dao , and do you sell them?
ed

Brad
08-18-2004, 06:44 AM
http://www.jiayo.com/videos/classical.html Check the bottom of that page to download an example of a miao dao form. Some Pigua groups use Miao Dao and you can find vcds for sale here: http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd/coll_pigua.htm

GeneChing
08-18-2004, 10:18 AM
My understanding of the Miao Dao was that it was named after the ethnic minority known as the Miao. I could be mistaken here, since I've really not done very much research here. The Miao is one of the largest of the 60+ minorities in PRC - see Miao (http://www.china.org.cn/e-groups/shaoshu/shao-2-miao.htm). In the West, we tend to only think of the Han people as Chinese, but there are actually many different cultures in China, many like the Miao which are almost tribal. Many of these minorities have their own unique martial heritage.

I'm not sure about the Mohist connection, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. As CLFNole says, Mo can also mean 'martial' in Cantonese; it's the same character as Wu in Wushu.

Shaolinlueb
08-18-2004, 11:34 AM
well im watching this movie called the shaolin drunken monkey, (no monkey kung fu in it at all.) and the begger training the people is named MO, so maybe its after this movie? no?

Eddie
08-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Gene and the others,
Once again thanks for the reply. I had a look at the miao dao on the jiaoyo site, but the use is different to this style im talking about. Ok let me explain.

The style which I am referring to is very similar to Kendo. It’s a double hand sword style, and strikes are often from over the head position. There are a few basics, like the 100 character strike, the ten character strike and the 1000 character stakes, and then a few others. I did get some info after I have been surfing the net, and your link helped a little as well.

I don’t have to much time now, but over this weekend,
I will post some of my findings to this site. We are installing wireless internet at my office, so I will be able to surf the net the whole weekend without worrying about stupid telephone bills.

Give me until early next week, and I will post my findings. The Mo is not Cantonese Mo btw.

Ed