PDA

View Full Version : My Work out... Please Critique

Shen Zhou
08-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Here my workout please critique. I understand that no man is an island and what works for you may not work for me and vice versa but here is my work out and schedule. I am a vegetarian so my diet consist of mainly beans, rice, veggies, boca burgers and hot dogs, bread, and snacks. My diet is the worst because I don’t eat breakfast most of the time and eat only one time a day most days. So I could use some help in this area if any one has a opinion. I dont take any supplements except crentrum 1 a day. But here is my workout routine

Sunday 1 mile hike with 100lb sand bag strapped to my back

Monday – Friday Mornings 6am
Lunges roughly ½ mile (maybe less length of my street) with sandbag on back 100lb
Jump rope 10 minutes last 2 minutes as fast as I can non stop
Bag work three 3 minute rounds first 2 minutes relaxed and technical last minute all out. (Punches and kicks)
50 pushups

Monday – Friday evenings
100 push up program. Added hand stand push up
bench press light weight 100lbs 6 reps 10 time each
Bar Curls light weight 35 lb 6 reps 10 time each
50 push ups/ with a couple of hand stand push ups
CRUNCHES: 20
SIDE CRUNCHES: 20
SIT AND TUCKS: 10
V-UPS: 10
FLUTTER KICKS: 25
6-INCH CRUNCHES: 10

Basketball on thrusdays..... (like wind sprints)

I hate running but I have also started running about ½ to one mile every other day or every two days. I have to do things that I can do alone since I don’t have a workout partner. I am about 6’4 230 lean body build.

Thanks

Shen Zhou

IronFist
08-16-2004, 10:48 AM
What are your goals?

Shen Zhou
08-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Well My goals are endurance, strength, mobility, speed, leg strength, body attributes (ie body defination) explosive power, body conditoning.

You know Iron i have never really sat and thought about it as in goals. Working out was just somthing i did and it made me a better ahlete. What I am really hoping to get out of this work out is endurance and explosive leg power for movement, lifting, sweeping, kicking, and pushing.

Toby
08-16-2004, 07:33 PM
I like it. Much more endurance based than most of us. But I really like the sandbag stuff. Fix up your eating habits though. You especially want to be eating right after exercising.

IronMonkey
08-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Nice workout dude :) Sure is a whole lot of work but I guess in the end it pays off, keep it up. Sure influenced me a bit. I need to start some workout too, Im too lazy these days.

Shen Zhou
08-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Yeah my eating habits sucks major. I got the idea of the sandbag from the Marines PT. Thats the hardest thing I have ever done when I first started. I could feel it all over my body. I bought an old GI bag from the army surplus store and filled it with play sand and it works ok. So i guess i just have to get my eating habits right and i will be ok. Thanks for your comments

Shen Zhou

IronFist
08-17-2004, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't do the 100 pushup program AND handstand pushups. That will probably be too much.

Unless I read your post wrong, that sounds like what you are doing.

In fact, I would drop all chest/triceps/shoulder work except for the 100 pushup program while you are on it.

Shen Zhou
08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
In fact, I would drop all chest/triceps/shoulder work except for the 100 pushup program while you are on it.

Why is that Iron? Am I working the same set of muscles with the push up program and the weight lifting?

Toby
08-17-2004, 06:48 PM
It's because Iron's shoulders grow bigger just from reading your post and he doesn't want to look any freakier than he already does :D. Your body will soon tell you if it's too much. For me it would be, although 100lb isn't much (for the bp). Handstand pushups would kill me though, as would the total volume of stuff you're doing. But if you can handle it, good luck to you.

IronFist
08-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Shen Zhou
Why is that Iron? Am I working the same set of muscles with the push up program and the weight lifting?

Only drop the weightlifting that involves those muscles. The pushup program is pretty strenuous, especially toward the end, and you don't want to overtrain. It's already pretty high volume and you don't want too much volume.

blooming lotus
08-18-2004, 09:26 PM
I'm prodimantly a strict vego myself ( though being a chick for common sense sake- a meat fix x 1 per month post cycle is a good sacrifice toward optimal health)

I don't really see a huge problem with your work out regime, but I would suggest minimising carbs, upping iron ( like leafy greens and mushrooms occassionally) and going for a lil bit more on individual muscle group endurance......... It's a small xing ku sesh ( hard work sweat) for a great long term benifit..........

also, as a vego I seriously reccommend investigating a good multi - vitamin..........

oh and working some seriously dense sand bags myself and in lieu of some good strapping, I really recommend a good serve a calcium daily.........

Ps : Iron fist has su*ky cardio and endurance capability ( good as his body and lift strength is ) ............

for a vego diet , generally speaking, the rawer the better , just don't neglect your hot food intake ;)

PPs: weights and bwe target simialrly but not same nor withsame distribution...... going against the grain and telling you that accuracy, endrance skill 'll top strength any sunday.......

firm on that one. what do you want, to master your body or or lift a shyte load of weight???

my philosophy vs theirs........... bearing in mind that they'd rather be big and pretty than functional ( though they'll argue
:rolleyes: ) ;)

cheers

BL

Serpent
08-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
firm on that one. what do you want, to master your body or or lift a shyte load of weight???

These two things are not mutually exclusive. You really haven't learned anything yet, have you?

my philosophy vs theirs........... bearing in mind that they'd rather be big and pretty than functional ( though they'll argue
:rolleyes: ) ;)

Once again, so blatantly wrong. When are you going to stop assuming you know and just actually listen to what we say?

Toby
08-18-2004, 10:47 PM
:rolleyes: )Yep, I'm all about looking pretty. Matter of fact, PTP is a very popular bodybuilding program. What we do has nothing at all to do with functional strength.

Serpent
08-18-2004, 10:50 PM
^^^

This, Eyebrows, is called sarcasm. Look up Sarcasm in your dictionary. It'll be listed under 'S'.

rubthebuddha
08-18-2004, 11:09 PM
serpie -- when was the last time you saw BL admit she was flat out wrong? her fitness knowledge base is one of the least informed i've ever seen, yet she acts like a guru. she's probably the worst speller this forum has ever seen (she makes even diego look like a talented english professor), yet she teaches english as a profession. she claims genius-level intelligence, yet consistently winds up on the factually proven wrong side of the fence, and vehemontly denies and/or ignores the truth when it's sitting right in front of her.

the closest she comes to admitting wrong is when she says she's tired or she knows she has proof around there somewhere and will get back to us. the good thing is that she's consistent. the bad thing is that she's incredibly blind to the idiocy of her ways. i'm not degrading her as a person, as she seems like a cool enough cat, but we don't talk to lkfmdc because of his gloriously welcoming personality. he's on the forum to share views, as is BL. i've been able to get coach ross to relax and calm down and even see the light on a thing or two, but i've had no such luck on BL, and neither has anyone else.

being right all the time isn't what knowledge is about -- it's about getting more and more of it while refining or replacing your old and inefficient/incorrect wisdom. one can't do this without each experimentation, logic, self-evaluation and the scrutiny of other informed parties. even the most intelligent scientists have their findings reviewed by lesser-intelligent peers, simply because scrutiny of others in the know is imperative to show something is fact and not fluke, truth and not oversimplification.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 03:10 AM
says the fat boys who can't even push their own weight for morethan 30 secs........ you're w*nkers and egotists......... know when you're beat and accept a lesson morons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serpent
08-19-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
serpie -- when was the last time you saw BL admit she was flat out wrong? her fitness knowledge base is one of the least informed i've ever seen, yet she acts like a guru. she's probably the worst speller this forum has ever seen (she makes even diego look like a talented english professor), yet she teaches english as a profession. she claims genius-level intelligence, yet consistently winds up on the factually proven wrong side of the fence, and vehemontly denies and/or ignores the truth when it's sitting right in front of her.

the closest she comes to admitting wrong is when she says she's tired or she knows she has proof around there somewhere and will get back to us. the good thing is that she's consistent. the bad thing is that she's incredibly blind to the idiocy of her ways. i'm not degrading her as a person, as she seems like a cool enough cat, but we don't talk to lkfmdc because of his gloriously welcoming personality. he's on the forum to share views, as is BL. i've been able to get coach ross to relax and calm down and even see the light on a thing or two, but i've had no such luck on BL, and neither has anyone else.

being right all the time isn't what knowledge is about -- it's about getting more and more of it while refining or replacing your old and inefficient/incorrect wisdom. one can't do this without each experimentation, logic, self-evaluation and the scrutiny of other informed parties. even the most intelligent scientists have their findings reviewed by lesser-intelligent peers, simply because scrutiny of others in the know is imperative to show something is fact and not fluke, truth and not oversimplification.
Of course. I'm guessing that while addressed to me, this was actually directed more at bl?

Serpent
08-19-2004, 05:05 AM
says the fat boys who can't even push their own weight for morethan 30 secs........ you're w*nkers and egotists......... know when you're beat and accept a lesson morons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bwaaaahaaahaahaaaa!

We're not fat, we can all, I'm sure, push at least our own weight for a lot more than 30 seconds, and next to you we are far from wankers or egotists.

We are also not beat, as we are correct and you are wrong, as usual.

There is no lesson to accept.

We are not morons.

When, oh when, will you even begin to get it?

:D
:rolleyes:
:D

rubthebuddha
08-19-2004, 08:49 AM
bl,

here's a CHALLENGE for you:

we don't believe the majority of what you say because it doesn't make sense to anyone here but you, nor do you ever provide evidential backing to support your knowledge.

you seem intent on convincing us that you're right -- i can't think of another reason you'd still be here, as you are consistently taken to task for what you post.

so if you want to convince us that you're right, provide support for what you say. you've been asked dozens of times for support, but you don't give it, yet you seem frustrated when we call bull**** on most of what you say. i don't understand how you can't see the flaw in your logic. if you want people to believe you, give them a logical, supported reason to believe you. otherwise, you're just spinning your wheels, and you're going to continue to be ridiculed on a daily basis.

abobo
08-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi Shen Zhou,

Addressing the issues before the thread went all cRaZY:

You have a lot of pushing but not pulling. Balancing the two is good for your shoulders, so consider doing pullups or rows.

Shen Zhou
08-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Your commemts make alot of since. I will incorporate more pulling in the workout and cut out some of the working of the same muscle group..... thanks for you help all

Shen Zhou

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm happy to accept correction and new information but, because I like to know or understand on a deeper level, I ask more qusetions and try on other alternatives. By immaturity, I mean that, I am usually a busy gal and at least I give you benifit of the doubt for the experience you claim. You rant on about how I am all lies and unfortunately the information rarely even gets considered. What is so god*ammed hard to believe??!!??

I hate narrow mindedness and judgementalism even more :(

ridiculed or not, alot of you just seem uninformed and silly yourself........ but I have stuff to say and querey, so I'm just going to go ahead and learn and share a lil.

Thanks for the phsychological thought provocer though, because your mentality, proccessing skill and understanding is a point of discussion in itself.

Toby
08-19-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm happy to accept correction and new information but, because I like to know or understand on a deeper level, I ask more qusetions and try on other alternatives. By immaturity, I mean that, I am usually a busy gal and at least I give you benifit of the doubt for the experience you claim. You rant on about how I am all lies and unfortunately the information rarely even gets considered. What is so god*ammed hard to believe??!!??You are so full of ****. What about the recent spelling and grammar discussion? You repeatedly refused to accept correction and new information. You gave no-one the benefit of the doubt, not us nor any of the university websites we referenced. Instead you went with "your logic", which was wrong all along. And you claim to teach? I pity your students.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 07:18 PM
I do give the benifit of the doubt that your quals and information was what you've read, learnt or theorised on good grounds. I still disagree about the logic of ownership apostrophe use, and my spelling mistakes are probably greatly due to alcohol. big deal, doesn't mean the content lacks merit. It's tough out here and I'm drinking a lil,.so sue me. I know alot of really well educated folks who do worse and still have valid information to pass on ( but we won't talk about your own previous mind warping speed addiction because I value good or different information from any source) ...........

Ps: yes, still teaching and feeling the love from my skill;)

Toby
08-19-2004, 07:25 PM
I still disagree about the logic of ownership apostrophe use, and my spelling mistakes are probably greatly due to alcohol.Who said it's logical? English is hardly a logical language. But it's correct. Also, you can't say that correcting 7* by saying "coming" should be "comming" and citing your imaginary rule is a spelling mistake. That's poor understanding of the subject you're supposed to be teaching, at university level no less. Poor students. At least it somewhat explains the reasons behind Chinglish.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 07:41 PM
and I admitted I may've screw*d up on that one..........I can accept being wrong.and yourself??

Still isn't a blanket confession though and by no means comprimises anything else I have to say.like when I occassionally prove yourself wrong, so omfg you're human??!! :rolleyes: big deal....moving on....you were saying??

Toby
08-19-2004, 07:48 PM
and I admitted I may've screw*d up on that one...Really? I never saw it. And I tried really hard to help you out in that other thread. Repeatedly. With examples. And evidence.

... I can accept being wrong.and yourself??I'm never wrong ;). Seriously, I'm often wrong. Just not as often as you :p.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 07:54 PM
like the "evidence" provided for the ownership apostrophe?? really??.well I just checked the apostrophe thing with another native NZ teacher and he logicises and uses it the same???!!......

you're not often wrong ha??.... good to know :rolleyes: ....wouldn't be a mere mortal either right??

People f*ck up sometimes. big deal???

Toby
08-19-2004, 08:08 PM
So you still deny the facts of apostrophes being used to indicate possession? I thought you just said:
I admitted I may've screw*d up on that one...

like the "evidence" provided for the ownership apostrophe?? really??.well I just checked the apostrophe thing with another native NZ teacher and he logicises and uses it the same???!!...Well, if he logicises (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=logicises) I wouldn't put much faith in his opinion. He's allowed to use apostrophes for contraction. Does he also (like you) deny the existence of the possessive form? Interesting. I hope he doesn't teach English as well.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 08:19 PM
when I said I may've messed up , I was referring to correct spelling of coming / commming, but I just did a spell check on each way and each came up as correct. Who gives a damm anyway??

and now you're telling me that not only am I , a qualified and educator wrong, but so are my collegaues when you're not even learned in this field yourself??!!?? Ahha, really taking your advice over the educated contingent :rolleyes: ;) ;) ...what would we do without you??

IronFist
08-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Apostrophes indicate missing letters, and sometimes posession.

"Toby's" means either:

1. Something in possession by Toby
2. Some missing letters, like "Toby is" or "Toby has," etc.

"It's" means IT IS and is NOT possessive.

"Its" is possessive.

Examples:

It's going to rain. (it is)

Toby robbed a bank and stole its money. (something belonging to it)

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 08:31 PM
hmm........:confused: .are you agreeing with me Ironfist???

Ps: you do realise that your last post is in direct opposition to what nearly everyone else here would have people believe??:eek: :o :p

Toby
08-19-2004, 08:41 PM
when I said I may've messed up , I was referring to correct spelling of coming / commming, but I just did a spell check on each way and each came up as correct.Reference? I just pulled down ed. Pearson, J., The Concise Oxford Dictionary, 10th Ed., 1999, Oxford University Press p284:

come ... [as adj. coming]...

No reference to comming BECAUSE IT'S NOT A WORD. While I was at it, same reference p62:

apostrophe a punctuation mark (') used to indicate either possession (e.g. Harry's book) or the omission of letters or numbers (e.g. can't; 1 Jan. '99).

Does the Oxford English dictionary get both these wrong? And I should believe you over it? The Oxford English Dictionary is arguably the definitive reference for the language. Not that I needed it to tell me you're wrong. What was your reference again?

Who gives a damm anyway??Your students? Surely they want to be learning correct information instead of Eyebrows gibberish.

and now you're telling me that not only am I , a qualified and educator wrong, but so are my collegaues when you're not even learned in this field yourself??!!?? Ahha, really taking your advice over the educated contingent :rolleyes: ;) ;) ...what would we do without you?? Yes, despite your remarkable qualifications as "a qualified and educator" :rolleyes:, you are so 100% wrong on this.

With Iron's case, "its" is AFAIK the only case in which possession isn't indicated by an apostrophe. Another example of the less-than-logical English language. His other example "Toby's", shows the two cases of normal usage of apostrophes. He's not in opposition to what everyone else is saying. He's illustrating a SPECIAL CASE. But keep grasping at straws.

*Can't hold back*
**** you're a moron.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 09:00 PM
and you are understudied........... agree to disagree ??.can you be that grown???

Toby
08-19-2004, 09:06 PM
No, I won't. That'd be conceding that you may be right, which isn't the case. What exactly am I understudied in? I studied high school English Literature mainly as a necessity for university entrance. I hate humanities, so didn't take it further. I'm an engineering graduate and postgraduate student approaching the end of a PhD term. Now you: what qualifications do you have in English? Can you provide one reputable reference to support "comming" or "possessive apostrophe usage is wrong"? Didn't think so.

Serpent
08-19-2004, 09:14 PM
and you are understudied........... agree to disagree ??.can you be that grown???
No one will agree to disagree because there is no room for difference. One is completely correct and the other is completely wrong. No grey area to agree to disagree over.

YOU ARE WRONG!

Again.

blooming lotus
08-19-2004, 09:35 PM
okay narrow minded dude.......... of course in the grown up world you make alot of sense yourself ........ whatever you say babe :rolleyes:

thanks for another meaningful comment

Toby
08-19-2004, 09:59 PM
okay narrow minded dude ...Narrow-minded? Because we fail to embrace lunacy? Fair enough, then. :rolleyes:

Toby
08-19-2004, 10:03 PM
... of course in the grown up world you make alot of sense yourself ...Do you have evidence that he doesn't? Strikes me, Serpie probably has a lot to offer in real life, just like in forum land. You, OTOH, have nothing, based on your forum persona.

Serpent
08-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks, Tobes.

okay narrow minded dude.......... of course in the grown up world you make alot of sense yourself ........ whatever you say babe :rolleyes:

thanks for another meaningful comment
bl, accepting proven fact and dismissing proven wrongness is not being narrow-minded. It's living in the real world - somewhere you obviously need a large map drawn with bright crayons to find.

blooming lotus
08-20-2004, 02:03 AM
right! there are definately "arseholes" in the real world who act this way because they haven't dealt with their own issues enough to rise above their need for anger and or degrading comment. If I broke out some other psychology ref books , yes. I probably could show you were it says mirroring in the way some posters do here, ( saying about others what you feel about yourself ) is a means that alot of people use to avoid confronting their personal issues.
You can shoot back at me, but I understand why you act like this regardless.

cheers

Toby
08-20-2004, 04:17 AM
No, I'm pretty sure when I say you're a dickhead, I just mean you.

blooming lotus
08-20-2004, 04:23 AM
I'm not trying to convince you any more to speak about the topic, nor to even be nice about it. Contribute what you wish.

IronFist
08-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Toby
No, I'm pretty sure when I say you're a dickhead, I just mean you.

Best quote evAr :D

blooming lotus
08-20-2004, 07:21 PM
figures you'd appreciate that.........

like we don't see your own dag / wanna be / would if you could be dag on occassion.........

oh: cool is good , but how's the other side of the fenc MR. cool and judgemental has two sides of the coin??

True story, I think you're a developer. Good body , but kinda out there at times..........rock gods

but like we all ( :eek: :eek: I am not human because I 'm just too purfectly honnied) don't have an inner dag........ I'll fess and don't even care if you do.... you guys make me old..........

image is everything ha??

then you get older and it don't matter jack. You just tend to get real already and come what may.....

Serpent
08-21-2004, 02:38 AM
figures you'd appreciate that.........

like we don't see your own dag / wanna be / would if you could be dag on occassion.........

oh: cool is good , but how's the other side of the fenc MR. cool and judgemental has two sides of the coin??

True story, I think you're a developer. Good body , but kinda out there at times..........rock gods

but like we all ( :eek: :eek: I am not human because I 'm just too purfectly honnied) don't have an inner dag........ I'll fess and don't even care if you do.... you guys make me old..........

image is everything ha??

then you get older and it don't matter jack. You just tend to get real already and come what may.....
You what?

IronFist
08-21-2004, 09:00 AM
then you get older and it don't matter jack.

It doesn't matter.

Please don't teach your students this crap. The last thing we need is MORE people saying "don't" when it should actually be "doesn't."

IronFist
08-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Toby
With Iron's case, "its" is AFAIK the only case in which possession isn't indicated by an apostrophe.

There's also

Their --> Theirs

Well, wait, maybe not. "Their" is already possessive so it's not like you can make it more possessive.

Nevermind.

The point is every once in a while someone will write "their's" or "your's," neither of which is correct.

blooming lotus
08-21-2004, 10:09 PM
another correlation according to Iron ( as less educated on ther subject as he respectfully is)

Trolling aside. you do realise half the time you unbeknownst agree with me???

cerebus
08-21-2004, 10:19 PM
No bl, every time you THINK he's agreeing with you, you really don't have a clue WHAT you're trying to say.

blooming lotus
08-21-2004, 11:50 PM
:rolleyes: wouldn't m,atter what I said right?? don't care your aggreessive and emotionally violent.

later dude.

IronFist
08-21-2004, 11:55 PM
another correlation according to Iron ( as less educated on ther subject as he respectfully is)

[homestar runner]

I'm sorry, what?

[/homestar runner]

Are you talking about grammar? I will destroy anyone on this board when it comes to English grammar.

But I should point out that I'm talking about real English grammar, not BL-grammar.

blooming lotus
08-22-2004, 04:43 AM
BL grammar is perfectly acceptable out of school and my grammar speed and accuracy score wasn't so shabby at teacher school myself.

You're probably the more sober more often, so for now, the point's yours.:cool:

rubthebuddha
08-22-2004, 09:38 PM
iron -- journalism degree, former editor, etc. suck it, *****. that, and we have several gents who are currently editors. :p

IronFist
08-22-2004, 11:34 PM
^ Who is "we?"

With all your skills can you translate BL-isms into English?

Toby
08-23-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
There's also

Their --> Theirs

Well, wait, maybe not. "Their" is already possessive so it's not like you can make it more possessive.

Nevermind.

The point is every once in a while someone will write "their's" or "your's," neither of which is correct. AFAIK those words don't exist. I can't think of a context in which I would use them anyway. So Eyebrows, because Iron came up with a nonsensical example that supports your wrong argument, then you're right?

Me: There exists a usage of the apostrophe that indicates possession as well as that of contraction. Here are web and book references and examples.

Eyebrows: I found one ("its") actual example and two ("your's", "their's") nonsensical examples therefore there doesn't exist a usage of apostrophe that indicates possession, only contraction.

Do you see the flaw in your argument? To prove me wrong and you right you would have to disprove any example I could come up with and prove that there are no valid examples of possessive apostrophes. To prove me right I only have to come up with one, which I did with references.

Which is just fundamental logic and totally beside the point that you're totally wrong on this. Just like you were when you logicised "comming", complete with dodgy Eyebrows grammar rule.

blooming lotus
08-23-2004, 02:49 AM
for starters, I think you've been around these boards a little long to make sense yourself at times and second, that's going to be hard to top so I'll just leave you with it

rubthebuddha
08-23-2004, 12:30 PM
^ Who is "we?" the royal we. as a mod in two different forums, i have the online equivalent to two duchies or two baronies -- which means both seven and i are like demigods. so we're allowed to use the royal we as we see fit. suck it. :mad:

With all your skills can you translate BL-isms into English? does the expression "you can't polish a turd" sound familiar? no matter how good the polisher, they can't change the fact that a well-shined turd is still a turd.

IronFist
08-23-2004, 04:19 PM
^ lol rtb, that was awesome :D

blooming lotus
08-23-2004, 09:55 PM
a turd is turd and since I'm too busy to talk shoit I'll leave you all with it.