PDA

View Full Version : Moy Yat Family

BeiKongHui
07-12-2001, 01:22 AM
I am contemplating joining a new kwoon and the Sifu is of the Moy Yat lineage and since I'm not real familiar with the Moy Yat way of doing things I was wondering if any one out there whos trained in this lineage could offer up some general info about the MY Wing Chun and how it may be differnt or similar to other Yip Man lineages.

Thanks

"To the extreme!"
--Poochie

whippinghand
07-12-2001, 06:22 AM
That depends on WHO under the Moy Yat lineage. So, who is it?

Owen
07-12-2001, 05:21 PM
my experience in the Moy Yat family has been great. theres a Zen influence and relaxed mentality that makes training very hard easier for me. I really apreciate Moy Yats ideas about integrating kung fu into your life.
I could see it being very different with other Sifus though.

Jaeson
07-12-2001, 11:58 PM
William Moy
Henry Moy
Mickey Chan
Dunn Wah (Sunny Tang)
Kevin Martin
miguel Hernandez
Pete pajil
Benny Meng
You are in good hands with these Sifu's or anybody associated with them.
I left out a few but I thought this would help.

Martial Joe
07-13-2001, 12:45 AM
My sifu learned under Lee Moy Shan...he is in there too...

benny
07-13-2001, 07:35 AM
i have never done the moy yat system but i bought a heap of books from the vtmuseum and the thory behind what he does is one of the closest to the wsl system that i have ever read. the books are great.
one thing though i bought a video on slt. on the site it said that it was the combined info from 9 grand masters under yip man. now the only people that could even call themself that on the tape was Moy yat, yip Ching and Yip chun. now i bought the video to see the different ways people do it as i am interested how people interpret what yip man said or showed them. what is on the video is benny meng doing his own form and explaining it. now the thoery was the best video on ving tsun i have ever seen (except wong shun leungs video but that doesnt compare) but it was not what i was expecting. i know everthing on the video and i was expecting that but i wanted it to look at the differences and find out how and why they do it.
it cost me US$45 something which is about $90 australian. so i wasnt very happy with it.
but the books are great.

whippinghand
07-17-2001, 11:53 PM
If you can learn from Miguel Hernandez, out of the Moy Yat family, in New York, he is probably the best.

rogue
07-18-2001, 04:38 AM
I passed by a Moy Yat school when I was visiting Richmond. I may have to check it out the next time I'm over that way.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

Jaeson
07-19-2001, 05:07 AM
Good choice!
Miguel is one of the top Disiples under Sigung Moy Yat.
The best in NY,maybe not. Not as long as his Sihings Henry Moy and Mickey Chan still teach in NY.

mun hung
07-20-2001, 06:53 AM
I met Henry Moy last year, and I've gotta say that he's a real nice guy. :)