PDA

View Full Version : Hero

HiddenShadow
08-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Has anyone herd anything about "Hero" yet ? It the new Tarantino film staring Jet Li. From the prevues, it kinda looks like a Chinese version of Bravehart. And if its anything like Tarantino's other films, it should be quite good. I believe it comes out later this month, and I look forward to seein it.

MasterKiller
08-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Tarrantino didn't make it.....he's just attached to the U.S. release through Miramax. They're using his name to drum up business.

HERO has been on DVD for like 2 years. I bought mine from MartialArtsMart last summer.

http://store.martialartsmart.net/dvd40028.html

It's harldy new.

HiddenShadow
08-17-2004, 11:04 AM
oh wow, Im st00p1d....is it good ?

MasterKiller
08-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it's cool. It's kind of like Crouching Tiger, but with a more Communist message.

HiddenShadow
08-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Nice, I'll definatly have to check it out then...please excuse my noobness

Starchaser107
08-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Is the sound in Chinese dialect only or is there english option

I know it says captioning in various languages including english, but what about sound?

Tak
08-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Hmm, I actually thought the message was more imperial, but what do I know? Then again, communism as it exists in china is pretty **** close to an imperial state anyway.

As an additional note, I can't wait for that peter pan style flying through the trees swordfight bull**** to go out of style.

MasterKiller
08-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
Is the sound in Chinese dialect only or is there english option

I know it says captioning in various languages including english, but what about sound? Chinese only sound.

GeneChing
08-17-2004, 04:32 PM
I kinda thought Hero was more of a filial piety tale - sort of Confucian really, which in this case, would be more imperialist I think. I don't see it as communist at all, unless you think of self sacrifice as communist.

Shaolinlueb
08-17-2004, 05:03 PM
i thought hero was oaky. i like crouching tiger better. more of a story to me. hero was good though, but its not the action epic film they play it up to be. its more of confusing tail if you dont pay attention.

norther practitioner
08-18-2004, 05:33 AM
Hero is one of the best cinemagraphic movies I've ever scene...

Good story, however, I've noticed some need to go back and watch it a few times to grasp all of it....

Fight choreography is very cool, as long as you like wuxia.

IronMonkey
08-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Before I talk about Hero, wanna say something... SCREW TARANTINO, AND ESPECIALLY SCREW MIRAMAX (BIG FREAKIN LOSERS).

Anyways, Im a go watch Hero on first day, I already saw it when I had the DVD (it got stolen, some SOB stole it) and it was great, so now Im just gonna go watch it in theaters.

SanSoo Student
08-19-2004, 07:56 PM
The first fight with Donnie Yen is going to own...:D

norther practitioner
08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I wish they used Donnie more, that would have been sick.. and that IS the lineup for any wuxia fans.. Jet AND Donnie.

Starchaser107
08-19-2004, 09:42 PM
zhang xiyi is all the line up i need

Judge Pen
08-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
zhang xiyi is all the line up i need

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Zhang, Jet and Donnie is a pretty sweet lineup. As for "peter pan" fighting, it has it's place in fairy tale/legend stories like CTHD, Hero and the matrix. Other than that, I prefer the down and dirty fighting like the Bourne Identity.

Starchaser107
08-20-2004, 07:19 AM
true dat

The Count
08-20-2004, 07:30 PM
I remember awhile ago all sorts of MA forums were filled with posts bashing Miramax on it's rendition of "Hero". What exactly did Miramax do to this movie that warrents such animus?

Lice
08-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by The Count
I remember awhile ago all sorts of MA forums were filled with posts bashing Miramax on it's rendition of "Hero". What exactly did Miramax do to this movie that warrents such animus?

I'm curious about that too. I guess I'll find out since I WILL see it in the theatres, even though I've had the DVD for almost 2 years now. Unless they royally fuxx0red it up, I'll bear no ill will towards Tarantino (who I like anyways) and Miramax. It'll be because of them that I can see in at the theatres at all since I never got a chance to see any of the 'art house' showings.

The Count
08-22-2004, 01:14 PM
I have not seen "Hero" yet and plan to see it in theaters. Therefore, I will not be able to tell what they changed. If it sucks then I know it was tampered with.

Shaolinlueb
08-23-2004, 05:06 AM
a bunch of my friends were saying they are going to dub it! god i hope not, they did that to shaolin soccer, but they didnt do that to iron monkey. hopefully this one wont be dub because of QT.

Tak
08-23-2004, 07:25 AM
OMG, the previews for this are horrible - I'm glad I saw it before they started flogging it in the US. (I hadn't seen any previews and didn't know what it was about prior to viewing it - I would prefer to watch EVERY movie this way.) The preview gives away the entire plot AND the ending! Although it seems rather confused about the finer points of the plot; maybe this is a poor attempt at creating surprise/suspense?

GeneChing
08-23-2004, 10:03 AM
We got something they don't have - an extra half hour of Hero.

Check out Hero - The Director's Cut (http://store.martialartsmart.net/dvd400281.html) :cool:

MasterKiller
08-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
We got something they don't have - an extra half hour of Hero.

Check out Hero - The Director's Cut (http://store.martialartsmart.net/dvd400281.html) :cool: Muthertrucker. :mad:

GeneChing
08-23-2004, 02:35 PM
:D

norther practitioner
08-24-2004, 04:31 AM
dammmmmit Gene...

Now I have to buy this one too.... I

The Count
08-24-2004, 06:17 PM
You know, you'd think that Miramax would have Quinten and Jet going around promoting this. So far Ive only seen Quinten mention it once. Where's Jet though? He is not seen anywhere promoting his own movie.

Starchaser107
08-25-2004, 07:07 AM
He was on BET 106 & Park last week promoting this movie,
I'm sure he's going around promoting it otherwise.

GeneChing
08-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Jet's on the cover of our mag (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=531), Shamballa Sun, Men's Health and now IKF. I'd be really interested in the opinions of anyone who has read any of the other articles and compared it to our coverage (which is online for free at the link above - but buy our magazine please! Support this forum!)

I'll be honest with you and say that the people who have seen the Director's cut of Hero say that it's almost impossible to tell the difference between this longer version and the previously released version. That's probably not the best sales strategy, but I endevour to present our products honestly to you all. I have yet to see the new verion myself. Apparently, the parts that is the most noticeably longer are two fight scenes, which of course has me really intrigued. I may wait to see it on the big screen before I go for the Director's cut. But watch our ezine (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/index.php), we'll have something up for you fresh on Hero by the end of the week.

Tak
08-25-2004, 11:19 AM
I saw the director's cut, but never the original release.

But I can see where they would have cut parts out - some of the more protracted fight scenes, and the scene where the qin army is attacking the calligraphy school.

brothernumber9
08-25-2004, 12:02 PM
there's something about a scene with a bazillion arrows flying through the air at one time that just makes you for an instant turn into keannu Reaves and say

"woa"

GeneChing
08-25-2004, 01:47 PM
I've only seen the VCD and DVD standard version. Where did you see the Director's Cut, Tak?

MasterKiller
08-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Jet Li interview:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=493&ncid=762&e=6&u=/ap/20040826/ap_en_mo/film_jet_li

GeneChing
08-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Hero got a nice write up in the SF Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/27/DDG478DLQJ27.DTL) this morning. Now let's see how it does at the box office...

Tak
08-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Gene:
It was a copy I found online. Hold on a sec, the MPAA is at the door...

Shaolinlueb
08-27-2004, 10:49 AM
it got 3 1/2 stars in the local paper this morning from syscal and whatever.

IronMonkey
08-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Omg am I glad I saw this in theaters! This version is uncut and on the big screen it blows you away! I can't believe I had to wait in line for this movie last night (premiere day, nationwide), and so I got front row seats, lol. Screw Miramax, good thing Tarantino made sure this wasnt dubbed. This movie got good scores everywhere, and as for me, I of course give more credit than it deserves :D

Shaolinlueb
08-28-2004, 07:58 PM
`eh i still dont like the movie. what i did find interesting was the only time they were flying in their fights and walking on water and such was when thyey were thinking about it.

GeneChing
08-30-2004, 09:50 AM
We just got a cease and desist letter from Miramax. We will no longer be offering Hero at MartialArtsMart (http://www.martialartsmart.com). :(

MasterKiller
08-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Is there a time frame for you to take it offline? Like, if I order the extended version RIGHT NOW, will I still get it?

GeneChing
08-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Sorry, we're shut down as of now. And they're requesting our sources, so it's an aggressive campaign to shut everyone down.

You can't say I didn't give y'all the chance, but it's quick or dead when it comes to Miramax.

Judge Pen
08-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Like selling the DVDs hurt the movie here in America. I bet everyone that bought a DVD from you went this past weekend to see it on the big screen.

Brad
08-30-2004, 04:42 PM
So, what do you do with instock copies?

Shaolinlueb
08-30-2004, 07:23 PM
sell them exclusivly through paypal is what im guessing gene will be doing... ;) right?

Li Kao
08-31-2004, 04:55 AM
What a drag that MiramAXE is blocking all the distribution of this film. Glad I got my copy last year, but still, it sucks for someone who sees the movie at the theater for the first time and wants to get a copy.

I'm glad they at least kept the movie subtitled -- have you tried watching CTHD with the English dubbing -- it's pretty ridiculous if you ask me, although I know alot of people prefer dubbing over subtitles.

Vash
08-31-2004, 07:07 AM
I was about to go to martialartsmart.com and order the extended version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argh!

That movie ownzord. The element which really got me was how the emporer one minute wanted everything, as the 6 Kingdoms were "nothing," while the next minute he was "understood" by Broken Sword in that he just wanted peace for his people. Nameless' revealing this was pretty cool.

And Jet's taking all 'dem arrows at the end was pretty cool, too.

A good movie.

Kristoffer
08-31-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by IronMonkey
I can't believe I had to wait in line for this movie last night (premiere day, nationwide)

Uh..
It was out on the cinemas here and in the rest of Europe for 2 years ago. Howcome it took so long to get up in the US? It's usually the other way around

GeneChing
08-31-2004, 09:39 AM
We sold out the few copies we had of the Director's cut of Hero. We are completely out of stock and will not offer them again.

To quote Marley, "You ain't gonna miss your water until your well runs dry".

MasterKiller
08-31-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
Like selling the DVDs hurt the movie here in America. I bet everyone that bought a DVD from you went this past weekend to see it on the big screen. Wrong. I've had that DVD for at least a year, and I won't go see it at the movies. I've watched it 6 or 7 times already...I'm not going to give the Studio Machine $16 more if I can avoid it. I have a sweet setup at home, anyway. I prefer watching movies in my living room to a noisy, crowded, freezing theater. Plus, DVD offers a better picture. No scratches, no dust...and if my wife wants to blow me during the film, we don't have to cover her head with a jacket.

Shaolinlueb
08-31-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
No scratches, no dust...and if my wife wants to blow me during the film, we don't have to cover her head with a jacket.

you know, thats sig worthy material! ;) :D

red5angel
08-31-2004, 12:03 PM
saw it last night for the first time (wanted to wait until I could see it in the theater.). I liked it, pretty intense.

GeneChing
09-02-2004, 09:28 AM
I gotta see it on the big screen. I've been waiting for years to see it on the big screen. It's a big screen movie like all of Zhang Yimou's films. Plus, despite Miramax issues, I got to support any major martial arts movie release. I even went out to see 80 days (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=517)....

David Jamieson
09-02-2004, 01:04 PM
The US movie making and distribution system is strictly controlled by a very small consortium if you will.

probably less than 100 people actually control everything in regards to american movies.

Marlon Brando (rip) had some real interesting barbs about the whole business of moviemaking in the US.

they wanted him to stfu real fast after he started stickin it to the man towards the end days.

anyway, movie people are self absorbed @ssholes on teh production and distribution end. Actors are pawns until they get enough dough to produce or direct and then they fall into the ranks with the other evil controlling overlords who control the industry.

It is amazingly corrupt. Too bad really, it just means we have to watch reems and reems of endless remakes of old movies because they are so inbred they haven't had a new idea in ages. They feed off each other constantly stealing ideas, constantly plagiarizing stuff outright etc etc.

And even to the point where they gove the impression that the art form is the work of the distributor or producers!

Hero is a case in point. Q had NOTHING to do with this film whatsoever except that he bought distribution rights. He didn't write, produce, direct, nothing. He laid down some cash and now it"s "Hero presented by Quentin Tarantino".

Now don't get me wrong, I think its great the he is giving exposure to work that would otherwise not be, but at the same time I think he oversteps the boundaries of decorum by letting the idea exist that he has anything really to do with any of it.

It is akin to me buying gone with wind and then re-releasing it as my production!

Lice
09-02-2004, 06:19 PM
While you won't get any disagreements from me about the poor shape the movie industry is in, I have less of a problem with Tarantino's name getting slapped on Hero. The exact same thing happened with Iron Monkey, if you recall. He'll be the first to say he had nothing to do with it and has never taken credit for any of the creativity of the movie.

But, let's face it.. slapping his name on it will sell a lot more tickets. Everyone involved knows that. Sure, I'll roll my eyes when someone asks if I've seen the new Tarantino movie, but at least it's interest in a movie they probably would've never otherwise had an interest in. Besides, then I get to look cool for saying I've had the DVD for almost 2 years and can explain that Tarantino has **** all to do with it.

Kristoffer
09-03-2004, 03:13 AM
I agree with Kung Lek

GeneChing
09-03-2004, 02:02 PM
His name definately adds to the box office sales. It'll be interesting to see if Hero can retain #1 box over Labor Day weekend. There's actually some strategy behind what Miramax is doing. Ultimately though, it comes down to us supporting the movie or not. You can take a stance that you're not going to feed Miramax, but then you also kill Hero. If Hero does well, it'll open the door for more CMA movies in general release. If it does poorly, then all is for naught.

Odin of Wei
09-03-2004, 09:51 PM
I seen this movie like a year ago. I think I rented a chinese import.

It was purty...and just because of that I want to see it on the big screen...edited or not.

Now buying it is another question...if I buy it I might look for the import with it being the full version.

Why must they edit greatness? :rolleyes:

And I hate torniteno. Hes good for bring many films over to the states. People like us appreate that. But then again there is hatred in my heart for anyone that completely steals.

And if you must ask watch Resivior dogs...then watch a Ringo Lam film starring Chow-yan-fat called City on Fire. Not just the same plot BUT you'll even see the same way they hold the guns.
Kinda sad really...

Kill Bill 2 was better than 1 but it still sucked majorly. That was the worse wushu I seen.
But Gordon was good acting in it. :cool:

GeneChing
09-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Hero retained #1 movie over Labor Day, bringing in $11.5 million. Labor Day is traditionally one of the worst holiday weekends for movies, sicne most people want to grab the last days of summer outside. So, Miramax did OK, all told, $30+ million in the first two weeks, not bad for a Mandarin language film that sat on the shelf for three years before coming to America. Does anyone know the stats for CTHD for the first two weeks?

I think the addition of Tarantino's name was crucial to the marketing of Hero. I wonder how much he was paid for that?

norther practitioner
09-07-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm sure it was plenty....

We also have to remember, he's a fan of the genre`.

GeneChing
09-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Love him or hate him, he's done a lot for 'the genre'. I'm very mixed about what he's done with Hero. I wish Hero could have stood on it's own, but I'm sure that his name did help sales tremendously, and it's all about sales. We all complain here about Miramax, Tarantino, and misrepresentation of our beloved KF movies, but when it comes right down to it, money talks. Looks like Hero made some money, and that's great for the future of upcoming films. Sure, it's money for Miramax and Tarantino, but as long as someone makes money, Hollywood will remain interested in 'the genre'.

Odin of Wei
09-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Love him or hate him, he's done a lot for 'the genre'. I'm very mixed about what he's done with Hero. I wish Hero could have stood on it's own, but I'm sure that his name did help sales tremendously, and it's all about sales. We all complain here about Miramax, Tarantino, and misrepresentation of our beloved KF movies, but when it comes right down to it, money talks. Looks like Hero made some money, and that's great for the future of upcoming films. Sure, it's money for Miramax and Tarantino, but as long as someone makes money, Hollywood will remain interested in 'the genre'.
I didnt notice anything cut.

Just the intro...where they didnt put in the sub on the china DVD. :D

norther practitioner
09-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Gene has caught the 22 and introduced it to all his friends.

GeneChing
09-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Sorry, I lost you on that one NP. Is 22 a form of herpes? If so, that wasn't me, it was Design Sifu. :p

Odin of Wei
09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Sorry, I lost you on that one NP. Is 22 a form of herpes? If so, that wasn't me, it was Design Sifu. :p
What does that have to do with anything?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GeneChing
09-10-2004, 05:57 PM
This is a web forum. How dare you ask such a question.... ;)

Odin of Wei
09-10-2004, 10:46 PM
This is a web forum. How dare you ask such a question.... ;)
Because it is a web forum another thread should be made because it has nothing to do with the current subject.

And if you forgot it was Hero. :D

GeneChing
09-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Really, the difference was only a O vs. a PES, so you can surely understand my confusion. Thread jackings have been made for much less. :p

OK back OT, after two weeks as #1, Hero dropped to #4. Resident Evil took #1, followed by Cellular and Without a Paddle. Hero took in $4,420,000 last weekend, bring it's total take at three weeks to $41,652,000. Still looking for information on CTHD's take for the first few weeks. Anyone?

norther practitioner
09-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Catch 22.. Catch 22

not catching the 22 (we'll go more into that later)...

The catch 22 that is making money.

GeneChing
09-15-2004, 09:01 AM
It was the tense usage that confused me. I'm not sure it has the same meaning when you put catch 22 in the past tense. I was close with the herpes tho, yes?

Li Kao
09-17-2004, 02:40 AM
First off -- Gene, here are some links to box office numbers for CTHD:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2000/DRAGN.html

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/crouching_tiger_hidden_dragon/numbers.php

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190332/business

Also, Box Office Mojo has a neat little chart called the "Wire Fu Index" which has a list of the all-time top grossing movies that have "wire kungfu"
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=wirefu.htm

Regarding QT's involvement with Hero -- in general, I think it is a positive thing. Obviously, he is a huge fan as we are of Hong Kong cinema and kung fu movies, so while some argue that he is only doing it for a buck, I think the exposure helps the genre as a whole.

A few years back, QT "presented" a movie in the states under his Rolling Thunder company called Chungking Express, by director Wong Kar Wai. I was unfamiliar with this director, but picked it up out of curiosity and ended up being mesmerized. Since that initial exposure, I have collected all of director Wong Kar Wai's movies and he has become my favorite director of any genre. Had QT not released this picture in the states, it is likely I may have never had the fortune of discovering this genius director.

(Note to Hero fans: the director of cinematography on Hero, Christopher Doyle, is also the cinematographer on all of Wong Kar Wai's movies, which is one of the main reasons Wai's movies are so visually entrancing. Also, if you want to see some more of Tony Leung (Broken Sword) or Maggie Cheung (Flying Snow) in dramatic roles, there is no better place than Wai's films -- either one or both of them appear in almost all of his movies! They are both in Days of Being Wild, Ashes of Time, and In the Mood For Love. Tony is in Chungking Express, Happy Together, and Chinese Odyssey, while Michelle has a great role in As Tears Go By. These are all fantastic dramatic movies which I highly recommend! If you need more motivation -- Zhang Yimou's next film after Hero -- House of Daggers -- features Canto-pop star Andy Lau, who is also in Wong Kar Wai's As Years Go By and Days of Being Wild)

Getting back to Hero -- I am glad they kept the subtitles -- dubbing would have been corny, although I wasn't happy with some of the changes, at least from the DVD version I have. In the version of the DVD I have, the words that Broken Sword writes in the sand are "All Under Heaven" and in the cinematic version this is changed to "Our Land" -- which seems to lose some of the relevance. I thought "All Under Heaven" was more appropriate as the Chinese emperors were known as the "Son of Heaven". "Our Land" is a little more generic and bland if you ask me ... ah well, a minor complaint I suppose.

Odin of Wei
09-17-2004, 09:11 PM
As of tonight I seen it 3 times! :D

Shiyu
09-20-2004, 04:55 PM
WOW. I've seen it twice...I swear to buy it the day it comes out on DVD tho! :D

RENEGADE_MONK
09-21-2004, 04:53 AM
If anyone is interested in a copy pm me

GeneChing
09-22-2004, 05:43 PM
So it now has a cumulative gross of $46,090,351 at week 4, compared to CTHD $13,450,791 at week 4 (thanks Li Kao!). Of course, you'd have to calculate for inflation...

Starchaser107
09-22-2004, 07:29 PM
hey guys,
does hero have more than one ending depending on the release?...
I watched the movie and the hero died in the end , but a friend of mine who has a dvd says that in his movie the hero is escorted out by the soldiers and set free?
i'm thinking he didn't watch it till the end

GeneChing
09-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Hero is clinging on to the top ten and #10 and will surely be bumped by next week. It's total after five weeks? $49,246,000

So Miramax has the last laugh on all of us who complained about the delayed release and the Tarantino presentation. With a 2142 screen opening, Hero earned the spot as the highest-grossing late-August release in history.

Given the success of Hero, Sony Pictures Classics is gearing up House of Flying Daggers for release in December.

GeneChing
10-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Hero is now at number 14, off the top ten as predicted, grossing $1,224,000 this week, bringing the total take so far to $51,139,000.

GeneChing
10-11-2004, 10:42 AM
So I finally went to see Hero on the big screen. It was very enjoyable - it's such a big screen experience. My little DVD sans widescreen TV just didn't do the film justice.

However, I think I noticed a significant change in the Miramax theatrical release from the Hero DVD. There's a scene in the beginning when Jet's character, Nameless, is being strip searched before meeting the Emperor. In the DVD, there's a clear shot of Jet's butt. In the theatrical release, I think it was edited out - that scene was still there but it looked like they had digitally imposed another strip searcher to obscure Jet's assets, similar to what happened in Eyes Wide Shut. I didn't realize this until a little while after the scene played, and I was waiting for my wife, who was late, so I was constantly looking over my shoulder to see if she came in. Anyone else notice this? It reminds me of the digital underwear they were planning to put on the goalie in Shaolin Soccer. I never saw the theatrical release of that so I don't know what happened - in the end....

What's up with Miramax? Ashamed of man ass?

Shaolinlueb
10-12-2004, 06:09 PM
So I finally went to see Hero on the big screen. It was very enjoyable - it's such a big screen experience. My little DVD sans widescreen TV just didn't do the film justice.

However, I think I noticed a significant change in the Miramax theatrical release from the Hero DVD. There's a scene in the beginning when Jet's character, Nameless, is being strip searched before meeting the Emperor. In the DVD, there's a clear shot of Jet's butt. In the theatrical release, I think it was edited out - that scene was still there but it looked like they had digitally imposed another strip searcher to obscure Jet's assets, similar to what happened in Eyes Wide Shut. I didn't realize this until a little while after the scene played, and I was waiting for my wife, who was late, so I was constantly looking over my shoulder to see if she came in. Anyone else notice this? It reminds me of the digital underwear they were planning to put on the goalie in Shaolin Soccer. I never saw the theatrical release of that so I don't know what happened - in the end....

What's up with Miramax? Ashamed of man ass?

or they a bunch of ****phobes.

Jet Johnson
10-14-2004, 06:46 AM
It reminds me of the digital underwear they were planning to put on the goalie in Shaolin Soccer. I never saw the theatrical release of that so I don't know what happened - in the end....

Didn't see it in the theatre, but the butt shot is in the DVD.

GeneChing
04-22-2015, 08:59 AM
On Saturday April 25th, San Francisco Symphony is performing a very special concert. Read Tan Dun’s Martial Trilogy (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1218) by Gene Ching

GeneChing
02-18-2020, 03:54 PM
Box Office: 'Parasite' Heads for Huge $50M-Plus in U.S. After Historic Oscar Win (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-parasite-heads-huge-50m-us-oscar-win-1279671)
5:00 AM PST 2/18/2020 by Pamela McClintock

Globally, the South Korean film celebrated its best picture victory by crossing the $200 million mark.

Bong Joon Ho's Parasite continued to make headlines following its historic Oscar best picture victory.

Over the long Presidents Day holiday, the South Korean dark comedy-thriller made its biggest push yet in the U.S., expanding from 1,060 locations to 2,001. The move paid off as Parasite raced up the chart to No. 7 with $6.8 million — the film's top weekend gross to date (indie distributor Neon first opened the film in select art house cinemas in early October).

Globally, Parasite celebrated its Academy Award victory by zooming past the $200 million mark for CJ Entertainment despite the fact that it opened in many key markets — including South Korea — months ago. This past weekend, it earned another $12.8 million for a foreign tally, through Sunday, of $161.1 million.

Its worldwide gross of $205 million includes $44.49 million in ticket sales in the U.S., where it now ranks No. 4 on the list of the top-grossing foreign-language films of all time after passing up Instructions Not Included ($44.47 million), not adjusted for inflation.

Box office analysts put Parasite's final U.S. gross at $50 million or more, the top showing for a non-English-language film since Zhang Yimou's Hero 18 years ago. Overall, Hero ($53.7 million) ranks No. 3 behind Roberto Benigni's 1997 hit Life Is Beautiful ($57.6 million) and Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon from 2002 ($128.1 million).

Some think Parasite could even approach $60 million.

"It has become a must-see movie in a theater even though it is available on home video," notes Comscore's Paul Dergarabedian. "The only two movies people were talking about over Presidents Day were Sonic the Hedgehog and Parasite."

Parasite is the first non-English-language film to ever win the Academy Award for best picture. It also won for best director, best original screenplay and best international picture. Also among the film's glittering array of awards is the Cannes Film Festival's Palme d'Or.

The pic's post-Oscar boost will be among the best in modern times, according to Comscore. A U.S. gross of $50 million would put the bump at 29 percent, on par with Slumdog Millionaire, which won the top Oscar prize in 2008. The only best-picture winner since 1998 to see a greater percentage gain was Million Dollar Baby 15 years ago (34 percent).

Parasite is the widest non-English language release in the U.S. since 2004's Kung Fu Hustle, which played in 2,503 theaters.

In yet another milestone, Parasite passed 2017's I, Tonya ($30 million) to become the top-grossing release in the three-year history of Neon, run by Tom Quinn, not adjusted for inflation.

PAMELA MCCLINTOCK
THRnews@thr.com
PamelaDayM

THREADS
Parasite (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71321-Parasite)
Hero (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?31961-Hero)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?5071-Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon)
The Academy Awards (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?20798-The-Academy-Awards)