PDA

View Full Version : Dit Da Jow help

Starchaser107
08-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Hello all Iron Palm , Iron Body practitioners.
I am searching for a reliable jow to assist me in my iron palm training. I have found this website : http://www.ditdajows.com/commerce.c...d=5611835.17153

Has anyone had any experience with this product , or dealer ?,
or does anyone have any serious recommendations?
I need the jow relatively quickly because I'll be going back home by the end of the month.

thanks in advance.

SC107

Code Fu
08-24-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm very new at iron palm, but here's what I use:

http://www.eastearthtrade.com/catalog.php?query=photo&product=822

It's called Five Photo brand. It's got lots of sediment, and it's quite smelly. From what I understand these are good signs for jow.

The site from the above link looks kind of iffy, but I've never had any problem with them -- in fact all my transactions with them have been painless.

I've tried the jow from Wing Lam's site too. It was okay, but compared to the Five Photo it was very pale and it had no sediment whatsoever.

FngSaiYuk
08-24-2004, 08:42 PM
I considered buying from the ditdajow.com site, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have used the 5 photos brand, and in my use did a great job! I also would mix one part zheng gu shui to four parts of the jow for that nice tingly feeling.

I'd be curious to find out what is available on the net ( I don't have access to such things around here ) and which ones are most effective.

Code Fu
08-25-2004, 03:50 AM
From what I understand (what my sifu tells me and what poking around I've done) most iron body practitioners tend to make their own jow, or at least use their master’s recipe.

I think it's a question of personal taste and economics. The Five Photo brand stuff is 10 or 12 bucks for a 12oz bottle. I can go through that pretty fast, and that's just from applying some jow after using my mung bean bag. More advanced students will soak their hands in heated jow -- that can get expensive real quick when you're using the store bought stuff.

It takes time and some know how (more knowledge than I've got), but its probably much better to brew your own. Cheaper, and you could probably tweak the formula for your body type.

Any iron body masters out there who can confirm or debunk?

herb ox
08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Greetings brothers and sisters!

You know, the TCM forum has the same thread:

http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31993

but with some different responses. If you dig around in the TCM forum, there's also a few good recipes for Jow.

'Sides, that forum could use a little extra traffic ;)

... and I've used both 5photos and Wing Lam jow - I'd have to say WL's formula is lighter in appearance, but I've gotten deeper results with it than with the 5photos - though I've done the same thing adding ZhengGuShui to the 5 photos - it really gets the blood moving and kills the hand pain from accidentally backfisting a pointed elbow :eek:

peace and good luck

herb ox

FngSaiYuk
08-25-2004, 10:05 AM
I had a formula for it a while back (from the course I took on Iron conditioning), but I can't find it anymore. In any case, it's really difficult for me to get raw ingredients, so even though it may not be the IDEAL, I tend to just use 'packaged' formulas.

I'll try out the WL formula... Always good to hear of others experiences relative to mine.

Code Fu
08-25-2004, 10:41 AM
herb ob,

I'm interested in the ZhengGuShui that you mention. How much do you use? Do you grind it up first? When you mixed it with the Five Photo did you put the ZhengGuShui into the bottle, or mix it in on a per-use basis?

Thanks,
Jason

Code Fu
08-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Rats... forgot that FngSaiYuk mentioned how much he uses... 4:1 jow to zheng gu shui.

Where's a good place to buy some?

FngSaiYuk
08-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Code Fu
Rats... forgot that FngSaiYuk mentioned how much he uses... 4:1 jow to zheng gu shui.

Where's a good place to buy some?

Well, when I used to use it, I lived in LA where I could get it at chinatown or the local whole foods market. I lived in the SFV so I could also get it at Follow Your Heart in Canoga Park.

Now I live in the UP of Michigan just north of WI and I'm researching where I can get it on the internet that'll ship out here to me. No idea, yet.

Fen
08-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Here is a link http://www.ancientway.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=129 for some jow... I have not used them before. But one of my students has some and said they where ok.

~Jason

Starchaser107
08-25-2004, 04:53 PM
everybody, once again , thank you.
tao of wushu wow, that looks cool, I've decided to wait till I go home to place any orders... might as well see if any of my classmates are interested as well to make it worthwhile.
peace.

herb ox
08-26-2004, 07:30 AM
I've had good experiences with ancient way herbs. The business is run by TCM practicioner in Oregon (I believe), and he's down to earth - wrote me a personal email to let me know my order would be slightly delayed. However, when I got the bulk herbs I ordered I was nothing but pleased! The herbs appeared clean and the packaging is airtight in resealable bags.
Ancient way has some DitDaJow herb kits for a reasonable price... just add vodka or rice wine and you're dialed in! (of course, you do have to wait about 3-6 months!)

So, to my brothers in the backwoods - are you saying you have not a single Asian market in your area?:( Dang!

Here in CA we have a chain of Asian supermarkets (and I do mean super!) bigger than Safeway - of course, where I live, I still have to drive 45minutes to the nearest one, but I'd say it's definately worth it!

peace

herb ox

Code Fu
08-27-2004, 06:07 AM
In regards to the Ancient Ways site, is it best to buy the whole or the powdered herbs?

Also, does the type of alcohol used affect the performance of the jow?

Thanks, guys,
Jason

Code Fu
09-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Alright, I've got the Ancient Way jow herbs. The instructions that came with the herbs aren't terribly clear.

What method would you suggest for brewing?

~Jason

richard sloan
09-10-2004, 03:35 PM
I made my own.

It stank.

While it was cooking my cat smelled it, then turned his head and threw up all over the counter.

The stuff I have gotten from Shaolin is the best I have used so far- for sore muscles anyway.

Some of my friends that have gotten sprains and bad bruises (snowboarding and what not) love it.

emre
09-10-2004, 03:59 PM
I was moving once and put a huge jar of home-made jow in a duffel bag with a bunch of other things.

Then I got to my new place and dropped the duffel bag on the hardwood floor. I heard a crack, and saw a puddle beginning to form and remembered there was a jar of jow in the bag. It stank for a really long time. :p

FngSaiYuk
09-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by emre
I was moving once and put a huge jar of home-made jow in a duffel bag with a bunch of other things.

Then I got to my new place and dropped the duffel bag on the hardwood floor. I heard a crack, and saw a puddle beginning to form and remembered there was a jar of jow in the bag. It stank for a really long time. :p

I brought some on a flight once, in a corked glass bottle... The change in pressure popped the cork and it spilled out and stunk up the pocket of the bag that it was in (thankfully the pocket was waterproof and didn't get into my clothes).