PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to lift weights

wind draft
08-19-2004, 08:29 AM
I just started lifting weights like 2 times a week. I want to ask if anyone has experience a good method to train in lifting weight to gain speed and explosive power? What is a good routine to increase and not decrease in martial skills? Thanks.

MasterKiller
08-19-2004, 08:31 AM
You might read this thread I just posted.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32000

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-19-2004, 08:44 AM
also browse through the health and fitness forum. tons of good info there.

wind draft
08-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks. Masterkiller, I've read that already. It doesn't really state on a good routine Thanks.

David Jamieson
08-19-2004, 08:56 AM
tie them to your balls and stand in a horse stance on 2, 9 foot posts.

stubbs
08-19-2004, 09:22 AM
"and if you don't have any balls ask a friend if you can play with his" Jeffery, Rainbow
________
Vapir Air One Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

themeecer
08-19-2004, 09:22 AM
If it is a real heavy weight I will use a crowbar to lift it off the ground or put a dolly under that. It seems to work pretty well.

MasterKiller
08-19-2004, 09:30 AM
I thought this might be related to what you were asking:

MAX GROUP: Repeated maximal strength efforts

3 sets of 3 repetitions @ 90% of 1RM
2 sets of 2 repetitions @ 95% of 1RM
2 sets of 2 repetitions @ 97% of 1RM
1 set of 1 repetition @ 100% of 1RM

Total: 18 repetitions in 8 sets with an average intensity of 94.3% of 1RM. Pauses between sets: 3 minutes
Performance of the movements: explosive contraction

This kind of program is appropriate for reducing the strength deficit.

REF GROUP: Repeated strength efforts until failure

3 sets of 12 repetitions @ 70% of 1RM

Total: 36 repetitions in 3 sets with an average intensity of 70% of 1 RM.
Pauses between sets: 2 minutes
Performance of the movements: repetitions to failure.

This kind of program is appropriate for muscle hypertrophy, increasing absolute strength, or body building.

POWER GROUP: Power training method

5 sets of 7 repetitions @ 45% of 1RM

Total 35 repetitions in 5 sets with an average intensity of 45% of 1 RM.
Pauses between sets: 5 minutes
Performance of the movements: as rapidly as possible. This kind of program produces almost as much muscle hypertrophy as repeated efforts to failure (REF).

Note: The relative level of the training load was readjusted every week to the improving level of maximal strength (1RM). 1RM is the one repetition maximum or the heaviest weight the athlete can lift one time.

An example of a training program that will increase the maximal strength of the athlete, without increasing the muscle size (absolute strength), would be the program of the MAX group in Bührle and Werner's experiment (see Table 1). However, coaches and athletes should recognize the fact that improvement by this method is limited by the morphologically available muscular mass, in other words by the absolute strength level. Therefore, a gymnast's conditioning should alternate between muscle hypertrophy and maximal strength training, between the training processes shown in Figures 3 and 4 (Schmidtbleicher, 1992).

wind draft
08-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Master Killer, do you think I could do all 3 of those weight lifting starting with the first one down and take breaks in between? Anyone could comment on this?

MasterKiller
08-19-2004, 12:58 PM
I think you are supposed to alternate, like do MAX one week, POWER the next, etc...

wind draft
08-19-2004, 01:13 PM
thank you!

Toby
08-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Westside (http://www.westside-barbell.com) does explosive strength and speed. Google for some of their programs.