PDA

View Full Version : Scott Sonnon has moved into my kwoon

rubthebuddha
08-20-2004, 09:04 AM
aye. read the subject. then read it again.

coach scott sonnon has apparently relocated to sleepy bellingham and, after looking around for schools in the area, he settled on ours. he just wrapped up an agreement with sifu recently. we have a lot of floor space, so it works out well.

he's going to teach the softworks (http://www.rmax.tv) stuff. i know little about it, but i know about his sambo background and other training methodologies, so i can trust it's good stuff.

this is in addition to the wing tsun, muay thai and (later in one's wt training) escrima we've been doing for years, so it'll really round us off well.

i'll keep you fancy-pants folks updated as i get more information from sifu and scott (who, along with the two guys that he has as assistants, seems like a nice chap).

questions?

IronFist
08-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Ask him if I can have some free videos :D

MasterKiller
08-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Can I get a price break on camo pants?

red5angel
08-20-2004, 12:27 PM
sucker punch him when he's not looking so you can get the "I punched Scott Sonnon and all I got was this ******* t-shirt" t-shirt.

FooFighter
08-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Rub:

I knew about his softwork seminar and wanted to attend it. However I dont have the neccessary background knowledge to make it worth it for me.

I think I should get the neccesary knowledge before I attend his softwork seminar. Likewise I am planning to get certified in CST next Spring of 2005 which by then I will have plenty of actually experience and knowledge of CST system. It is my opinion that the Softwork seminar sound very promising but it would be better for those who have previous knowledge of Sonnon's Softwork theory and technology.

Rub, I hope you pick his brain and have a chance to learn something from Coach Sonnon. From what I have heard from a direct student of his from New Jersey, he truly a gentleman and a talented coach. Please send my regards to Coach.

Sincerely,
Bao

FooFighter
08-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Rub:

I knew about his softwork seminar and wanted to attend it. However I dont have the neccessary background knowledge to make it worth it for me.

I think I should get the neccesary knowledge before I attend his softwork seminar. Likewise I am planning to get certified in CST next Spring of 2005 which by then I will have plenty of actually experience and knowledge of CST system. It is my opinion that the Softwork seminar sound very promising and ground breaking but it would be better for those who have previous knowledge of Sonnon's Softwork theory and technology.

Rub, I hope you lucky enough to have some time to speak and learn from Coach Sonnon. I think he is an exceptional coach and thinker. From what I have heard from a direct Ross teacher under him from New Jersey, he is truly a down to earth, funny, and talented coach. Please send my regards to Coach. I think he knows me as foofighter.

Sincerely,
Bao

Shinobi22
08-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Hes won many challenges including against guys like elvis sinosic UFC30 winner who said on Sonnon s website hes now a "convert." I dont know how much i buy that **** since it sounds more like Sonnon bought him off and paid him to say that.

Really would appreciate a REAL opinion from a KFM Mod! Let us know what his class is REALLY like! Too much mysterious hype surrounding the guy like hes some comic book hero. I dont really care if hes a FORMER world champ in sombo. I want to know what this "softwork" martial art he created is like and how he manages to con people to pay so much for his seminar.s I dont think the GRACIES even charge as mch as he does!

FooFighter
08-23-2004, 07:33 AM
Shinobi22

I have read some of your comments on Coach's forum and I would hope you will have learned something about your abrasive
approach.

While I admire your method of doubt which I think it is one of many ways of gaining knowledge. However your cynicism and attitude is not mature, morally sound and critically objective at this point. Your behavior will not positively influence anyone in your cause. It appears your concerns and comments are negatively biased from the start and you appear to be indeed a "hatAH" to use Ebonic here. Please dont be offended or take this as a personal attack on you or me defending Sonnon. I am just trying to tell you how you are comming across to me or maybe others? If you dont care how you come off and dont care about how people think of you then it clear you also dont care about other people's opinions. So asking your questions without common courtesy and respect is a waste of time and not in anyway sincere in my opinion. Does this make sense?

I dont know Coach Sonnon personally like I dont know you personally, I am not a Coach Sonnon's arse kisser and I dont get pay by him to say anything positive about him. I have benefited much of what he has taught tho' and I would not say he is 100% correct. Moreover I would think it would be wiser if you change your approach in dealing with people and should hold your judgement or cynicism until you have worked with his system or with Sonnon personally or someone who is an expert of his methodology. To make any assumptions about anyone without first hand experience is much like racism and a sure sign of ignorance.

Shin, maybe being more friendly and polite in asking your questions would help you gain more answers and influence than being abrassive? You can get more bees with honey than vinger is the old saying. If you follow my advice here maybe it will improve your interpersonal skills and help you out in business. Best wishes, Be well, and your success is our success.

rubthebuddha
08-23-2004, 09:15 AM
shinobi obviously has a stick up his tookus about this, and unless a review says something horribly negative about scott, he won't be happy.

i'm not going to say it, nor am i going to sell scott's wares. all i did was say he's a nice guy -- which he is. he knows many times more about fitness than anyone here, my guess is that his martial knowledge parallels his fitness knowledge.

if shinobi was honestly curious about what scott's up to, he'd look into it and find out what he can. he's not, though, and his sentiment is obvious.

Suntzu
08-23-2004, 11:37 AM
the correct term is "hatAH"..... not "hatER" :D

RTB - you would do well to pick he brain........ from what i gather.... his "softwork" stuff is bacially drills with varying performance goals.... and not mutually exclusive to just beating the crap out of each other....

rubthebuddha
08-23-2004, 12:01 PM
i plan to. i'm sure that he, like my sifu, know quite well the martial variant to "killing me softly." :o :D

FooFighter
08-23-2004, 07:17 PM
RUB:

Please tell us your own personal experience of Coach Scott Sonnon. I am glad you will have an opportunity to learn from one the few respected authorities on atheletic performance and Russian martial arts. Again please send my regards.

Suntzu:

I have corrected my ebonic spelling of "hatah." Thanks for pointing out my proper spelling of hater in standard English.

Be well and enjoy your week....

By the way, as someone who have worked with Coach Sonnon CST system and owner of many of his books/videos. I would say that "softwork" and "bodyFlow" theory in relation to wing chun gung fu is proper chi sao practice. I mentioned this for RTB's sake since he and I are gung fu brothers in Wing Chun.

rubthebuddha
08-23-2004, 07:51 PM
señor bao -- scott's teaching on tuesdays and thursdays, and last thursday was his first class at our place. however, i didn't hit it up -- other thangs to do. i will get the chance to in the near future, so i will gladly post my thoughts.

Meat Shake
08-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Hmm... Sounds very interesting. Please do let us know what you think rtb, with a detailed description of the class if possible.
:)

SevenStar
08-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by FooFighter
While I admire your method of doubt which I think it is one of many ways of gaining knowledge. However your cynicism and attitude is not mature, morally sound and critically objective at this point. Your behavior will not positively influence anyone in your cause. It appears your concerns and comments are negatively biased from the start and you appear to be indeed a "hatAH" to use Ebonic here.

His method sucks. He downed a 40 oz of haterade and this is the result. Notice his quote from the main forum:

"He doesnt need to kick my ass to be legit. So what if he can fight? There are plenty of great fighters that suck ass as teachers. I wanna know from some one REAL (not paid off) if his "softworks" is legit for making ME better."

What better way to find out if it can make HIM better than by going to see him? (which I doubt he'll do). Just because his method works for rtb, for example, doesn't mean that shinobi will have the exact same result - could be better or worse, and that outcome depends on a number of factors.

In a nutshell, S22 just has his panties in a wad because an external guy is talking about internal stuff.

rubthebuddha
08-25-2004, 12:03 AM
foo's right, though. s22 is fishing for negativity, and if i start sonnon's classes and conclude that softworks must have been made by God himself and handed down through scott, s22 would still be hatin. i'll offer feedback for the rest of the forum, as folks like foo, meaty, you (seven), and sunnytzu are honestly interested in what i can absorb.

and no, ironfist, no free videos for you. i'm still hoping he'll show me some of his bodyflow stuff. :D

Suntzu
08-25-2004, 08:07 AM
WE HAVE BODY FLOW AT MY GYM :D :D :p ..... of course it's brought to you by the same folks that bring you BODY Step :rolleyes: ... BODY Combat :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and BODY Pump :rolleyes: .... and are trying to take over OUR gym time.... tell Sonnon he needto put the smackdown on that crap Russian style......

Meat Shake
08-25-2004, 10:46 AM
"and "BODY" Pump"

"body pump" eh? Most people just call them swedish made ***** enlargers.
:eek:
:)

FooFighter
08-25-2004, 10:56 AM
BodyPump is a group fitness Fad class that was popular about 4 years ago when I was a personal trainer for New York Sports Clubs. I remember clearly when the Oz founders of BodyPump came to NYC to certified some instructors in it.

However I completely unaware Coach Sonnon had a certification program for BodyFlow and it could be taught in a group fitness class. I wish there was a group BodyFlow class taught at my gym.
If there were a BodyFlow class, I would not appear to be so strange when i do my BodyFlow on mat area and it would be cool to do BodyFlow with some hotties to House or Techno music in the fitnnes room. I will have to contact my CST resources about this intel.

Sincerely,
Bao
Your Success is our Success

rubthebuddha
08-25-2004, 11:00 AM
i'm going to take a guess and say scott's body flow and the local gym bunny body flow are two entirely different animals. i could be wrong, though.

Suntzu
08-25-2004, 11:15 AM
2 ENTIRELY different animals..... a hand full of well maintained middled age women doing crappy tai chi... pretty good yoga... and some stretches..... meanwhile we box AROUND them listening to Bruce Springsten's Philiadelphia for the 100th time.....

rubthebuddha
08-25-2004, 03:17 PM
that's what i figured, hence the term "gym bunny." i firmly believe that if i say the term "gym bunny" in any way relating to scott's teachings, he'll show me that softwork doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't hurt. :D

FooFighter
08-26-2004, 10:24 AM
How is the softwork seminar doing? What have you learned, RTB?

rubthebuddha
08-26-2004, 11:03 AM
i have not started yet. as i said, when i have information, i will post it.

IronFist
08-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
and no, ironfist, no free videos for you.

Oh well. It was worth a try :)

FooFighter
08-27-2004, 09:32 AM
RTB:

No need to send my regards to Coach Sonnon... I communicated with him and sent my regards to him on the seminar. He told me school had a good vibes and he was feeling it. Good luck and please us updated.

Bao

MasterKiller
08-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Do I get a deal on camo pants or what? :mad:

rubthebuddha
08-27-2004, 01:46 PM
dude, you live in oklahoma -- you should be able to find camo pants in just about every 7-11.

lazy asshat. :rolleyes:

:D

Meat Shake
08-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Any news yet?

rubthebuddha
08-30-2004, 02:52 PM
patience, young meatwalker. hm. that sounded bad. which makes it all the more funny. :D

anyhoo, no.

he teaches two nights per week, and i haven't been able to hit 'em up yet. i'm spending most of my free time looking for employment in houston.

from conversations with him, it looks like softworks is going to be a combination of all his best goodies -- the sambo, body flow, etc. i dunno if he's going to do the club bells as part of the class, or do other seminars on them.

lkfmdc
08-30-2004, 03:01 PM
someone else to play with when I visit the family?

FooFighter
09-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Rubthebuddha:

I will going to Coach Scott Sonnon Softwork program. I am traveling all the way to WA from NYC, wow... I am so happy I am going to attend this seminar because I get to meet Coach Sonnon, learn something new "softwork", visit another wing chun academy, meet a fellow wing chun brother and the KFO moderator of this forum, maybe workout with RUB and demostrate some of my atheletic and gung ful skills. This way he can be my evidence for those dumb dumbs who doubt my skills. LOL.

Rub, I hope you be a good guest when I come into your town. Right now I am looking on internet for good plane tickets and moderately priced hotels in your area. Can you help me find a hotel near your Kwoon? Dude, Pm me.

Bao

rubthebuddha
09-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Bao,

i was going to pm you, but i figured i'd put all the information out for the masses, in case anyone else interested or registered is lurking:

for lodging ...

better pricing: http://www.bellinghamvaluinn.com/
nicer rooms: http://www.bellingham-hotel.com/

the val-u-inn is about a quarter mile from my kwoon, and the lakeway in is about another 100 meters further than that.

for flying, you have two options:
1. fly into seatac airport (SEA) or vancouver airport, then take a puddle jumper to bellingham airport (BLI), then taxi to the hotel,

or a much better option,

2. fly into seatac, then take the airporter shuttle (http://www.airporter.com/airporter/airporter.html) from seatac to bellingham.

i suggest the shuttle, because a trip that adds a flight to bellingham's airport costs about $100 more, then you have to taxi 4-5 miles to the hotel. however, the shuttle picks you up right at seatac and, after about a two-hour drive, drops you right off at the val-u-inn (it's one of the regular stops). the shuttle costs $55 round trip from/to the airport, plus a couple bucks for the driver tip if he's a nice chap.

other good purposes of these hotels -- they're next door to/across the street from some good restaurants, two grocery stores, the bestest smoothie shop ever (emerald city smoothies), and within walking distance of downtown if your legs aren't dead after the seminar.

overall, i suggest flying to sea-tac, shuttling to bellingham, staying at val-u-inn, and downing mad amounts of smoothie at ECS. :)

that's the good news. the bad news is that i may be moving before then. my fiancée lives in houston, and a recent job development/opportunity may be taking me there. i'm not all that eager to leave bellingham (the city is friggin gorgeous (http://admissions.wwu.edu/photo/2.html)), but with my better half in another state, my home is no longer here. i may still be around -- it all depends on the jobness. i'll let you know what turns up.

-david

FooFighter
09-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the great intel and you being an insider does help me alot. Hopefully I wanted to ask if my girlfriend want to join me, but than I remembered that I should not be practining monkey business before training. LOl. Anyways I do hope you will stay along enough for the seminar and to meet your gung fu brother. Dave, I need a guide around your city....

Bao

rubthebuddha
09-02-2004, 03:21 PM
if i'm around, i'll show you around. but, as a famous vulcan once said:

the needs of my cutie outweigh the needs of the foo.

FooFighter
09-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Rubby:

For the up comminghttp://www.rmax.tv/softworkcert.html SoftWork seminar I have decided to focus most of my free time doing bodyflow now on a daily basis in addition to my current workout program. Today I purchased "Beyond Cross Training" softwork based educational series that included Ultimate Grappling Shoes http://www.rmax.tv/bct.html.

I have invested in Coach Sonnon's products before was pleased and now I hope to get these products soon by next Tuesday. I am curious more than ever in what Coach Sonnon will have install for us at his seminar. This will be my first time I ever went to a non wing chun seminar to learn from a non-sifu in wing chun. I do not know what to expect and I am very nervous because the material covered in the seminar is over my head and abilities to be quite honest. I never did any serious specialized grappling before (I have toyed with BJJ but never seriously) and/or Russian based martial arts.

In any case, I hope I will learn something practical to bring me closer to wing chun mastery and most importantly I hope I can share my martial experience with those around me at this seminar. If anyone want to know more about these series, than PM me or asked me later after I studied and applied it. Oh yeah, if anyone has any knowledge about softwork and thevideos I purchased, please share with me your insight.

Rub, I noticed your school is teaching SOFTWORK. Can you tell how is that going? I dont think I will teaching SOFTWORK when I get back home. I'm too selfish at this point to share any cutting edge I have other the wing chuners in my area. LOL. Kidding.

Sincerely,

Shinobi22
09-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Can you tell us if youve even watched a class yet what his classes are like?

rubthebuddha
09-15-2004, 02:31 PM
when i have information, i will post it.

Meat Shake
09-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Rub, estas flojo o no bisto un clase?

rubthebuddha
09-21-2004, 01:56 PM
je ne parle pas l'espagne.

no, i haven't gone to any. his classes are after all the rest of mine, and i have more important things to do at night -- like work on finding a job in houston. if i'm still here in a couple weeks, i'll be going to his softworks seminar, and i'll post my thoughts then.

Meat Shake
09-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Houston?
Simple dude. Just sell crack and turn tricks, youll be ballin in no time.
:eek:

;)

rubthebuddha
09-21-2004, 10:00 PM
actually, i turn tricks to feed my crack habit :eek: :( :o :D

Serpent
09-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Isn't that what your girlfriend is for?

rubthebuddha
09-22-2004, 09:01 PM
yeah, but i'm in bellingham and she's in houston. (http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=xTowJeV.wimQQVd6MsEKU7USFw--&csz=bellingham%2C+wa&country=us&tcsz=houston%2C+tx&tcountry=us) the distance is indeed a pain in the taint, and it makes it difficult for me to go into a business partnership. for the time being, it's just a one-man show. :o

Serpent
09-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Ah, I see. Be sure to switch hands regularly or she'll spot the greater definition on one side when you next go to see her.

FatherDog
09-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
Ah, I see. Be sure to switch hands regularly or she'll spot the greater definition on one side when you next go to see her.

You mean you don't double-fist it?

Meat Shake
09-26-2004, 12:55 PM
"
You mean you don't double-fist it?"

No no... I just call it my watch. Its always got two hands and a face on it.

MonkeySlap Too
09-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Well I'm jealous. Bought the clubbells when they first came out. My buddies Vince and Brandon are original knuckle draggers. My other buddy Barry is trading illustrations for free stuff.

Well, when my Baby-Bell is big enough, I'll come viisit your school RTB... can't wait. While I'm not an RMA guy, there are enough similarities to what I practice that Coach sonnens work has really improved my game.

Good stuff.

Serpent
09-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by FatherDog
You mean you don't double-fist it?
Sure I do. I just didn't want to assume that you could and then embarrass you if you couldn't. ;)

rubthebuddha
09-26-2004, 10:50 PM
MS2 -- good stuff. i may not be here much longer (moving to houston) but if you do plan on coming, let me know, as i'll connect you with my sifu as well as give you the skinny on how best to do the bellingham thing. also, sifu would probably love to do some tossin with you, as he studied with someone in your greater SC family in san antonio a ways back.

MonkeySlap Too
09-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Cool. Cool. Appreciate it.

MonkeySlap Too
09-27-2004, 12:09 PM
I may be up somewhere around but not on the holidays...

fa_jing
09-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
Well I'm jealous. Bought the clubbells when they first came out. My buddies Vince and Brandon are original knuckle draggers. My other buddy Barry is trading illustrations for free stuff.

Oh you know Barry up here, too? Small world.

FooFighter
09-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Dear David,

I sent you several messages but you have not reply back. I dont know why? Perhaps you can answer my questions here? Are you still going to the soft work seminar? I sure hope so because I would like to have an inside friend in that area. I will traveling from JFK to SEA and will be in your region by the afternoon. I also asked if you could do me a huge solid? If it isnt too much trouble for you, could you pick me up at the airport? I am trying to save as much money as possible and second could you purchase for me a four foot rod (staff) at home depot in your area which would cost anywhere from 2-4 beans which of course I will pay you back in full. Thanks you in advance.

Sincerely,
Bao Tran

PS. You can Pm me your message. I dont want anyone here knowing our business.

rubthebuddha
09-29-2004, 02:00 PM
and i've replied several times, but you never clean out your inbox.

i am moving to texas in 16 days. as it stands, i don't know what my schedule will be like other than work during the week and pack during the evenings/weekends. i may go to sonnon's seminar, i may not, and i do not know when i will decide that. if i am in town, i'd like to. however, i am moving all my belonging's to my parents' house 150 miles south and am shipping them from there. thus, i'm moving twice -- once there, once to texas. i will let you know when i have more information, but clean out your inbox first.

MonkeySlap Too
09-29-2004, 02:20 PM
KC - if you're talking about Kettelbell nut, Wai Lun Choi student, catch wrestling aficionado Barry - yeah he's an old, very good friend. We used to work in comics together...

fa_jing
09-30-2004, 02:57 PM
yeah, that's him... we are in the kettlebell club together, though I haven't been able to make it out recently. However, I'm Keith, not KC. :D
Barry's a good guy, I'll tell him you said hello. Interesting to know that you two have collaborated in the past.

FooFighter
09-30-2004, 08:09 PM
David,

I am sorry about my inbox. I believe my inbox is clear. I sure hope you will in town. It would be nice to have a friend in your area. I too been busy at school, work, and other business matter. I hope we can speak soon. Please leave me your contact number when you have the chance.

Sincerely,
Bao

SevenStar
10-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
yeah, that's him... we are in the kettlebell club together, though I haven't been able to make it out recently. However, I'm Keith, not KC. :D
Barry's a good guy, I'll tell him you said hello. Interesting to know that you two have collaborated in the past.

remember the last seminar we were at, when we hit that korean place? Barry was there.

fa_jing
10-04-2004, 11:06 AM
wierd. I have no recollection of that, will have to ask him.

SevenStar
10-04-2004, 02:52 PM
He wasn't at the seminar, but joined us for dinner.

FooFighter
10-07-2004, 07:50 AM
David,

Tomorrow is the big day. I hope to see you at the seminar. I left you my cell phone number in your mailbox. I will be in SEA airport tomorrow at around 2pm and will take a shuttle to SEATAC airport and take a shuttle bus to the Inn which you recommended which is also near your MA academy. I have my room reserved already. Please give me a ring when you can tomorrow afternoon. I have to get packing, get my stuff together, and buy myself a four foot staff and a rubber training gun today. I am worried they will allow the rubber gun through check in. I am very excited and I cant wait to apply what I have learn in relation to wing chun gung fu.

Sincerely,
Bao