PDA

View Full Version : freestanding dummies

foolinthedeck
08-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi
i have a dummy question!
there is one particular company in the UK that markets freestanding dummies, they are made of plastic or something and look ok, but they cost £495, loads!, now i know that i could make a dummy body myself or with help from some carpenter friends, but the base/bracket is another matter. i dont necessarily want to screw a dummy into the wall of my rented flat!

http://www.immortal.co.uk/immortal-dummies.asp

what i propose is this, if i could buy a base from immortal i could just mount a standard wooden trunk in it. would this be ok do you think? or do you think i could just make my own wooden base? i have a dummy to get measurements off... dont know if immortal would be too pleased but never mind!

also, does anyone have any measurements / plans for freestanding dummies that they would be happy to share? i could really do with one and there dont seem to be many freestanding dummies around even on US websites

thanks!

Nick Forrer
08-21-2004, 11:43 AM
My teacher sells free standing dummy bases for (i think) around 50 quid

if you contact him he may be able to help you out

wsl uk (http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk)

stuartm
08-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Hi FITD,

I made a freestanding frame which is really good - but i guess you dont have the space.

Im not a fan of the immortal dummies, the best by far are pagoda which you can find at www.woodendummies.co.uk. The immortal ones when i used them tended to chip and splinter cos the plastic resin is a bit soft.

You could make your own dummy as long as you dont mind the hard work and it not being perfect. Ive still got the one i made with Mike as permanent feature in my back garden and it does the job. As for making a base im not sure it would be worth the effort - can immortal just sell you a base or see whats around.

Definitely dont screw it into your wall, I did this thinking my walls were solid and i dont go crazy on the jong , and it really f'd my walls up.

As for measurements Ive got loads from 3 or 4 sources , the Joseph Cheng Book, Sam Chans book on the dummy, Leung Ting Plans and more. If you want to photocopy them give me a shout. The plans in Sam Chans book are really detailed and clear.

Let me know - pm me or mail me at swanseavingtsun@yahoo.co.uk

By the way Mike has the Joseph Cheng book so you could ask him

Stu

foolinthedeck
08-21-2004, 12:44 PM
you know stuart i was just going to message you since after i posted i did the right thing and did a forum search fro 'freestanding dummy' of couse you already asked this question a while ago!

so thanks for the advice. i will look into it, how is everything btw?

foolinthedeck
08-21-2004, 12:45 PM
oh and btw for anyone else, the link staurt posted should have been without the final dot as:
http://www.woodendummies.co.uk

foolinthedeck
08-21-2004, 12:53 PM
oh i didnt mention this, maybe you know of it anyway stuart - Hafal the mental health charity has a woodwork project up in ponatdawe where the schizophrenic will make stuff out of wood like park benches and stuff. so i figure that if i get the wood and give them the dimensions then they can make it really cheaply.

the best thing about this is that there must be lots of places like this through the world, imagine if we can set them all to building cheap dummies?!?!

stuartm
08-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Hey FITD - I actually manage the contract for Hafal - small world !!!! That would be a really worthwhile way of getting your work done.

Im fine by the way - very busy though, could do with a break:mad:

If you still need plans let me know - the Sam Chan ones look like they were drafted by a carpenter and not some of these scribbled notes you see around.

Stu

Vajramusti
08-23-2004, 09:44 AM
You all seem to be well on your way in planning and you are in the UK.

FYI- a kung fu siter of mine makes superb dummies, stands and
and martial arts equipment per order.

The website for her (Little Raven studios) is in Arizona at:

www.little-raven.com/RS/MA

She is a very good wing chun person as well.

joy chaudhuri

www.tempewingchun.com

foolinthedeck
08-25-2004, 01:24 PM
hmm
so if i pay you £xxx stuart, maybe you could organise a hafal dummy? seriously, maybe u could make some serious money on the side with a website and dedicated team of schizo carpenters!

i know i'm just lazy

also, is vajramusti and yuanfen the same person?
i'm confused!

stuartm
08-26-2004, 01:17 AM
Hey FITD (Can i call you by your real name - FITD is becoming a real pain to type all the time;) )

I only manage the contract with Hafal, but I could certainly explore this avenue withem. However, I would have to stress that making a dummy is bloody hard work - especially on the main body side - morticing holes, angles etc . I had a carpenter do my old dummy and it took him ages and when i went to see it the bottom arm was too high. After blocking the hole and saying it was finished - the right arm is too low and the arms are too far apart at their widest point. I didnt bother getting it changed again cos it'll do the job and the class now has a nice pagoda one to use !

I'll have a chat with them though.

By the way, Im assuming Morris is still training at yours? Hes a good chippy and he made a couple of dummies before i left - they werent perfect but they werent far off either and they were first attempts. When i used to go and train at his he did talk about knocking a batch up??

By the way - have you thought about a pvc body - if youre short of space / cash theyre easy to get hold of , easy to cut, easy to dismantle and you can buy a set of arms pretty cheaply.

Nothing beats hardwood, but as an interim measure???

Stu:)

foolinthedeck
08-26-2004, 09:27 AM
oh i have lots of pvc bodies, masks, whips... oh wait thats not what you meant is it?

where do i get a pvc body from? most of the manufacturers seem to only sell only complete dummys.

or am i just being a complete dummy?

stuartm
08-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Just get in touch with yuor local builders merchant and enquire about 9" plastic piping I guess:confused: