PDA

View Full Version : Ok,here's the thing

IronMonkey
08-21-2004, 04:33 PM
My dad and mom been telling me and asking when am I gonna take up Kung fu again. I hate saying that I just cant go cause my knee isnt healed yet, cause I want to go so badly myself. So I said I might start in October since thats when school break is, and til that time, I really need to build some endurance and flexibility so I dont come back to the wushu school like a newbie, lol. Any advice or tips? Any help for knees would be appreciated (any at all). :)

Vash
08-21-2004, 05:20 PM
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/

It's da bomb diggaty.

IronMonkey
08-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Vash
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/

It's da bomb diggaty.

Hehe, thanks man, seems good, Ill check it out right away.

IronMonkey
08-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Ok, I think I found out what I may have, most likely OSGOOD SCHLATTER'S - Painful knobbly lump under the kneecap in active young people. Usually associated with jumping activities. Unrelenting.

The physical therapist even said I might have this when I visited him a few months ago. Any of you dealt with something like this? :( Hope it says on site how to deal with it. G2g look more :rolleyes:

EDIT*:
**** **** ****!! At least 6 months of no activities and it should mostly go away (basically til bones fully mature). Usually found in teenages, or as early as 10 to 14 yrs old (****, why couldnt I just live through 14! XD).
Aww man, I feel like I should just quit martial arts, do some weight lifting for arms and strengthen upper body for rest of my life... sad sad life :rolleyes:

norther practitioner
08-24-2004, 06:00 AM
1. Why don't you go see a doctor?

2. 6 months isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

3. Why are your parents asking you to do something like kf when your knees are injured and/or you have Osgood Schlatter?

4. When you heal up, good luck...

Vash
08-24-2004, 07:26 AM
NPs correct. 6 months will feel worth it when you can get back to your old activities without pain/risk of injury.

Go, see a doctor, get X-Rays, UV-Rays, ever'thing, get some Physical Therapy (if this condition calls for it and if the doc recommends it), and try to think happy thoughts.

IronMonkey
08-24-2004, 03:39 PM
1. X-rays dont show anything in a condition like this, only that the knee is normal and everything is fine.
2. Physical Therapy will barely help (so no point taking it according to Physio therapist WHO I VISITED ALREADY).
3. 6 months for me is hell when I cant do what I want cause of the **** injury. Hopefully though it will be worth it.
4. I CANT KEEP HAPPY THOUGHTS IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS!

:D

rubthebuddha
08-24-2004, 03:51 PM
look into accupuncture as an option. it cleaned up something in my knee a few years ago, and WD (i believe) had good success with it as well.

IronMonkey
08-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
look into accupuncture as an option. it cleaned up something in my knee a few years ago, and WD (i believe) had good success with it as well.

I did that as my first thing, hehe, so yea, it didnt help that much.

Vash
08-25-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by IronMonkey
1. X-rays dont show anything in a condition like this, only that the knee is normal and everything is fine.
2. Physical Therapy will barely help (so no point taking it according to Physio therapist WHO I VISITED ALREADY).
3. 6 months for me is hell when I cant do what I want cause of the **** injury. Hopefully though it will be worth it.
4. I CANT KEEP HAPPY THOUGHTS IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS!

:D

Well, in that case . . .

[WARNING: THIS IS A NUT-CHECK. IF YOU DON'T HAVE NUTS, OR THE EMOTIONAL EQUIVALENT THEREOF, THEN DON'T READ BEYOND THIS!!!]

Suck that $hit up. ;) :o

Seriously, it is quite possible you're training will have to be structured to adequately accomodate this condition. It sucks, I know (knee problems for the better part of three years), but you will get through it. I promise.

Like my pa said, "Tough times never last. Tough people always do."

Meat Shake
08-27-2004, 11:33 AM
" I visited him a few months ago. Any of you dealt with something like this?"

Yes. I had OS in both knees whenI was younger, just kinda grew out of it. Wear a knee brace. Be sure you are stretching properly. Try doing pistols and static postures to strengthen tendons and ligaments in the knees.
Most of all just be patient, itll be gone by the time you are 18 or so at the latest.

Edit: Im having trouble walking today due to a wrestler friend shooting on my right leg about 500 times yesterday.... Knee pain r0x0rs my s0x0rs.
In a completely negative way I mean. :D

Vash
08-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
Most of all just be patient, itll be gone by the time you are 18 or so at the latest.

So sayeth the wise man. It is easy to say "I can't stand being patient" at this point. It is only when you are through the problem, through with the injury, or through with the condition, that you can say "be patient." It's like getting old.

You WILL get through it. Or, you WON'T. Either way.

Good luck.

IronMonkey
08-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake

That makes me wanna cry, lol, screw that, Im gonna quit martial arts FOREVER!! >_< Im pretty sure its not gonna last that long man, hell no, but I might still quit cause of it, so I dont have to worry about this knee problem anymore, that was the only reason I was worried, MA, I didnt wanna quit it but guess I will.