PDA

View Full Version : Wieghtlifting for martial artists

Brad
08-21-2004, 10:16 PM
1.Does anyone know of good resources(book, vid., online, etc.) for learning about wieghtlifting(for beginers)?
2.Are there any particularly good wieghtlifting drills for fighters that y'all can think of?
3.Has anyone looked through that Gracie(or maybe it was just "Brazillian") Jiu Jitsu wieghtlifting book? If so, what did you think?

Brad
08-22-2004, 10:07 AM
bump

bung bo
08-22-2004, 05:55 PM
go to dragondoor.com and check out power to the people by pavel tsatsouline. it's got some really great info. the naked warrior stuff can get you strong, too. i've never seen the gracie book. as a beginner, do large compound movements (that's all power to the people is, anyway.) do searches on past threads on the subject. that's helped me a lot.

Brad
08-23-2004, 05:10 AM

bung bo
08-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Brad--i did see a gracie workout book yesterday. the title was called "superfit". well, i think it has too many exercises. you can get strong with only a few. anyway, do you have time for that workout?:rolleyes:

FooFighter
08-30-2004, 07:50 AM
Brad

1..Does anyone know of good resources (book, vid., online, etc.) for learning about weightlifting (for beginers)?

Please check out www.performbetter.com, www.dragondoor.com, and www.clubbell.tv for online information. I would get a basic book on bodybuilding, a basic book on power training, a sport specific training book, and a book on Russian Periodization.

2. Are there any good weight Lifting drills for fighters?

I think The kettlbell book by Pavel (www.dragondoor.com) and
Clubbell book by Scott (www.clubbell.tv) are good reference for martial specific strength conditioning.

3. Has anyone looked through that Gracie(or maybe it was just "Brazillian") Jiu Jitsu weightlifting book? If so, what did you think?

The book is called "SuperFit" and read it for free at B&N. So personally I have nothing but respect for the Gracie's tradition and their style. However I would not waste my money or time on it if I was a beginner. The reason why I wouldnt waste my money or time on the book is because the book wasnt well organized and not very scientific. It looks like the a chop suey fitness program which is in my opinion not very effective and personalized. Moreover there is no foundational explanation that is useful for the novices and besides it shows too many complex and non neccesary movements which only confuses insteads of enlightens the readers. Lastly, invest your attention and money else where.

Sincerely,
Bao
Your success is our success