PDA

View Full Version : Six Harmony Mantis

MantisifuFW
08-23-2004, 02:34 PM
List Members,

I just finished a very enjoyable weekend with Shifu Jake Burroughs and his teacher Hu Xi Lin of Beijing. Master Hu is a master of Meihua and Liuhe Tanglang and Shuai Jow. The weekend was mostly about Liuhe's fighting applications but also had elements of the other systems too. It was, in a word, FANTASTIC! If you ever get the chance to train with Master Hu Xi Lin it is an experience not to be missed!

Also, at the event Master Hu formally accepted Shifu Burroughs as his disciple. This is very significant for many reasons but it is easiest expressed in the fact that over the many decades the Master Hu has taught both on the mainland and in Canada, Shifu Burroughs is Master Hu's second disciple, ever.

Master Hu (at nearly 60 and almost 130lbs) has some of the most supple and effective technique I have ever whittnessed, easily entering and throwing men who outweighed him by over a hundred pounds. At every turn, when they attempted to resist, he simply flowed effortlessly into the next technique and sent them sprawling, (I know that it was effortless because he kept smiling and talking to them the whole time).

Anyway, as Liuhe Tanglang (six harmony) is so rare here in the U.S. I thought you guys would like to know that it is indeed here and available and is taught by a gracious and talented master.

Steve Cottrell

Laviathan
08-24-2004, 02:41 AM
As a student of Master Ma Weiling of Beijing, I am very happy to hear that our style flourishes in North-America.

Masters Hu Xilin, Ma Weiling and Ilya Profatilov are all disciples of the Late Master Ma Hanqing. The Taiji Meihua and Liuhe styles of the Beijing branch of Praying Mantis are very unique and rare indeed.

I would like to congratulate Shifu Jake Burroughs with his discipleship. My respect goes out to Master Hu Xilin and Shifu Jake Burroughs for their great work.

Rene

Oso
08-24-2004, 04:51 AM
I think we will all be seeing more of Shifu Burroughs as time goes by.

Very sorry to have missed it.

humble-one
08-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Does anyone have any clips?

ursa major
08-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Hello MantisifuFW,

Thx for the update on your visit with Master Hu and Shifu Jake Burroughs -- it sounds like a most excellent experience.

My curiosity leads me to several questions I hope you don't mind?

Now that you have had some first hand experience with 6 Harmony (not sure if this is your first exposure) and given your extensive 7 Star background, could you describe some of the differences of the systems?

How about some of the similarities?

What strikes you as the most interesting observation of your time together?

I know little of 6 Harmony so am all ears ;)

thx in advance,
UM.

MantisifuFW
08-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Ursa Major,

To start off with, about 90 percent of the time, Master Hu did not grab either with a diao shou or feng shou when he threw the person. It seemed as I practiced it, (DISCLAIMER: I do taiji, have done bagua and quite a bit of throwing and such but I was not ready for this so my evaluation may be off, if so, someone correct me) a matter of having precise control of one's own six harmonies, the sensitivity to feel the movement of one's opponent, (ting jing), and knowing the technique for toppling or locking so well that one could let the opponent move themselves into the position.

Strikes were performed from non contact but seemed, at least in the context of our session, were the method of getting into contact where strikes could be delivered from close range using methods of deflecting the opponent's attempt at counterpunching and striking one's own blows at the same time.

Relaxation was paramount in making the techniques work. The ability to adhere, flow with an opponent, was foundational to the method.

Shifu Profatilov was kind enough to perform a Six Harmony set for us at his seminar. Master Hu performed (luckly enough) parts of the same set and demonstrated some applications.

I know that my discription was vague but it is about the best I can do. I will see if Shifu Burroughs has video he can share. Mostly I want people to know that the insights one can get into one's own art from such interaction is staggering. It is not to be missed if one gets the chance.

Mantis 108, I will try to give more concrete examples as I go through my notes...hey, if anyone else out there has a paradigm example, I would really appreciate the help instead of my giving my "impressions".

Oso, your Mantis Quarterlies are in the mail as of today! Please let me know when you receive them.

Anyway, it was a blast! Hope my vague discription helps,

Steve Cottrell

mantis108
08-24-2004, 10:30 AM
It sounds wonderful. Thank you, Sifu Cottrell, for sharing it with us. I have hear great things about Shrfu Hu. Like others here, I am curious to learn more about what 6 Harmony is like.

Warm regards

Mantis108

MantisifuFW
08-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Oh I forgot to mention, Master Hu was emphatic on the fact that these techniques could be easily done with fighting gloves on so that one could, as one gained proficency, do the techniques in a fairly rough and tumble environment. In fact, he suggested it strongly.

Having been exposed to the art I must say that I agree. Nearly all of what we did could be done even with large and restrictive gloves, if one was sensitive and knew the method well enough. (Lest one think this was just a touchy feely kind of thing). Not at all!

Steve Cottrell

Oso
08-24-2004, 07:40 PM
SifuC: thanks, will do.

My .02 on Shifu Burroughs' material from my one experience with him is that I have since made mental reference back to that form (BYTT) and the applications Jake showed A LOT as I work with other material ether from my past or present training.

...like, I'll be working with something and suddenly see a parallel to the form. For me that speaks at high volume to the practicality of the information and the way it is presented.

yu shan
08-25-2004, 07:55 AM
It was my pleasure to attend and be a part of this first time visit to America by Master Hu Xi Lin. I must say, this man is a hidden treasure! The way he free flowed between the Liuhe, Taiji Mei Hua, Shuai Chiao and Na joint manipulation was absolutely incredible. He is lightning fast, yet supple as flowing water. Yes, crossing hands with Master Hu was quite the experience. He used Ting Jing "listening" on me thru out, he seemed to know what I was going to do before I did!

Pertaining to Liuhe PM, this was my first time really being exposed to this style. I was fortunate enough to see Master Profatilov demonstrate Liuhe, and that was a treat. But seeing and having it done to you is two differant things. I can now see why this style is held in such high regards. I particularly enjoyed the way it pulls you in and attacks the cr*p out of you. It to has the unrelenting attack, but what I saw differant, the use of palm strikes. Another refreshing note about Master Hu, is his willingness to teach Liuhe to anyone! He has invited me to visit and train in Vancouver.

Also, kudos to Tony Hu (Master Hu`s son) for his help and guidance thru-out. Tony was a big help to everyone there, and a chip off the ole block.

Congratulation to my friend Jake Burroughs for being chosen decipleship. I felt honored being a part of this. Jake brought together a great group of Martial Artists for this seminar. Having the opportunity to train with Cottrell and his group is always a pleasure, they bring there A game.

Three Harmonies
08-26-2004, 05:12 PM
First and foremost the thanks is due too all of those who made this seminar a success, namely everyone who attended! We had folks from Nashville, Ft. Worth, Phoenix, and throughout NM supporting this special event. Hu Laoshi was more than pleased with both the turnout and the abilities of everyone. He will be making a trek to New Mexico at least once a year, possibly twice.
Thank's to all your kind words Sifu's Smyer and Cottrell! I am very honored and proud to be Mr Hu's third (second in North America) disciple ever! We both feel our meeting was a matter of fate, and I cannot be more pleased with my destiny!
For those who missed it the seminar was fantastic! I will see about a clip or two.
I normally do not post on this board because there is too much BS ****e-talking for my taste, but I have noticed over the last few months this has been muted (with few exceptions), and I am willing to try it out again. I hope we can busy ourselves with propagating the ART not ourselves, and making this forum what it should be, a place for sharing and learning from each other. If you have something negative to say, go train for 2 or 3 hours and work it off! Time better spent if you ask me.
Leviathan can you please e-mail me privately, I would like to formally meet you (as much as we can via electrcity)! Thanks.
If anyone has any questions feel free to post or contact me privately!

Sincerely
Mr. Jake Burroughs
Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
Albuquerque, NM.
three_harmonies@hotmail.com
www.threeharmonies.com

mantis108
08-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Congratulations on both your discipleship and the success of the seminar. I am deeply impressed by the comments from both Sifu Cottrell and Jim. I look forward to meet with Sifu Hu and perhaps you in Vancouver in the near future (2005?). Indeed a visual taken from the seminar would be awesome! I am so glad that you are considering posting a clip (or more). This is definitely a positive renforcement for the growth of the oneline community. The collective effort of the KFO mantis forum members is amazing. Everyone works very hard to make this place a viable resource and pleasurable meeting place for our belove art. I think this is something that we can always be proud of.

Warm regards

Robert

Laviathan
08-27-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Three Harmonies
Leviathan can you please e-mail me privately, I would like to formally meet you (as much as we can via electrcity)! Thanks.

Mr Burroughs,

I have just sent you an e-mail. Hope we can keep in touch!

Utmost regards,

Rene

baji-fist
08-30-2004, 02:18 AM
Jake,

Its me Paolo. Just wanted to say congrats on your recent discipleship. It must be a great honor to train under a man like Hu Laoshi. Best of luck to you my friend!

Three Harmonies
08-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Paolo Good Friend!
How is Oslo? Thank you for your kind regards! I am very honored and pleased to be considered a disciple of Hu Xi Lin. I hope I can carry on a small inkling of what he knows!
How is life treating you otherwise?

Jake
www.threeharmonies.com
three_harmonies@hotmail.com