PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Felipe Bido

Vash
08-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Ju's a quick question:

What Hsing I videos would you suggest for study of correct power generation? I'm currently researching power generation methods as presented in the Isshinryu (via Gojuryu) forms Sanchin and Seiunchin, and have read references to the patriarch of Gojuryu having experience with Form Mind Boxing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Walter Joyce
08-25-2004, 07:29 AM
I am just curious where you read about the Form Mind boxing reference.

My first art was goju, and I had been told (back in 1974) that Miyagi had developed goju as a synthesis of Naha-Te, Shaolin methods, and ba gua.

Water Dragon
08-25-2004, 07:40 AM
I did Shuri Te when I was a kid. Xing Yi was mentioned in the manuals. This was back in 1986 before anyone in the US knew what Xing Yi really was.

Vash
08-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Walter Joyce
I am just curious where you read about the Form Mind boxing reference.

My first art was goju, and I had been told (back in 1974) that Miyagi had developed goju as a synthesis of Naha-Te, Shaolin methods, and ba gua.

I'm not certain of the reference; I'll look back through my files later to pin down a name on the information.

Buddy
09-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Vash,
Filipe probably didn't see the thread. You could learn forms from a book or vid but the way power is generated really needs to be taught in person. Really there is no other way. However I would suggest Tim Cartmell's book "Effortless Combat Throws" for an excellent description of the body method for all of the "internal" arts.

Felipe Bido
09-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Hi all:

I already replied to Vash by PM a few days ago. :)

Follow Buddy's advice and get that book...also, see if you can find "Xingyi Neigong", translated by Tim Cartmell. He wrote a very good chapter explaining the Xingyi "Images".

Mojo
09-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
This was back in 1986 before anyone in the US knew what Xing Yi really was.

FYI
Some of you guys may not be familiar with my instructor, Sifu John Price. Sifu Price studied from Hung I-Shiang and then Hsu Hong-Chi in Taiwan in the 60's and started teaching in L.A. in the early 70's.

BAI HE
09-11-2004, 08:18 PM
If you are interested in Sanchin or "Three Battle" you might want to reasearch White Crane boxing which had a heavy influence on
the Okinawan arts.
I think Horizontal Crane boxing specializes in the
implementation of the "Three battle form".

Vash
09-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the information. I've been researching the White Crane connection for quite some time, however. Very interesting methods employed in that branch of kung fu.