PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it...

trevorstalker
08-24-2004, 03:49 PM
For over a month I wasn't able to add nothing to my bench press. N-thing. And it's not a plateau, I'm actually getting weaker on the bp (last rep is done huffing and puffing and almost crying).

I ain't possibly overtraining because I only do chest workout twice a week, and every isolation exercise for triceps and chest are getting better (for instance, today I've added extra load to the Butterfly (or Chest Fly -- whatever that's called; all plateaud triceps pushdowns or kickbacks are increasing)

Every lift is cool, but the bp... really don't know what could be going on...

Diet? It's as regular as it could be (I do actually manage to get the 6 meals a day). Protein intake is always on surplus.

I guess there is only one thing left to do: Deca-Durabolin / Dianabol / Nabolic Strong...

:D

just kidding. don't do that stuff...

--edit: re-checke the time-frame. It's been over a month, that this is happening.

Toby
08-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Stick at it. Change things up a bit. I've been benching for years and you do plateau every now and then. I was stuck at 200lb for a long while a few years back I remember. Change reps, change workout frequency. Don't be afraid to take a few steps back. Try cycling your lifts. Work on your weaknesses and supporting muscles - lats, triceps, shoulders. Work on some light lifts for speed and form. Don't change too much at once, these are just some ideas of things you might vary.

I've been getting weaker lately too, mainly due to weight loss. Don't worry about it too much.

Serpent
08-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Also, try this one. Work out around 70% of your 1RM (the most weight you can lift once).

Load up the bar with that 70% and 1 set of 5 reps through the full range, then 1 set of 5 reps with just the lower half of the movement (i.e. chest to half way up and back down), then 1 set of 5 reps with the upper half of the lift (i.e. full extension to halfway down and back up again). No rest between these sets.

Then rest about 30 - 45 seconds and repeat, except do the lower partials, then the full range, then the upper partials.

Rest 30 - 45 seconds and then repeat again, doing upper partials, lower partials, then full range.

Let us know how well you respond to that and we can fine tune a bit more for you.

fa_jing
08-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Ditch the Chest flyes. They won't do anything for your bench.

Some Dumbell Bench Press would help, however.

trevorstalker
08-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanx for all the insights guys.

Toby -- Whenever I plateau (that often happens with my legs) I would break that plateau by usually doing static holds on the last rep of the last set, once a week only. After a week or so, I'd load again. On the upper body I'd just drop a few kgs for a few workouts, and them it would start incresing its load again. If tried that, and so far, none.

Serpent -- That's a nice idea. Originally my bp set is a 1x12 warm-up (with only 50% of the normal load) + 4x6 of the real thing. I don't know what my 1RM is right now, but I can check that tomorrow. How often should I do this new set? Once, twice a week?

fa_jing -- those were my thoughts exactly. I'm not very into isolation exercises, and the flys usually make my spine unconfortable (specially the reverse ones).

Serpent
08-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by trevorstalker

Serpent -- That's a nice idea. Originally my bp set is a 1x12 warm-up (with only 50% of the normal load) + 4x6 of the real thing. I don't know what my 1RM is right now, but I can check that tomorrow. How often should I do this new set? Once, twice a week?

How often do you usually bench? Replace your usual routine with this for a week and let s know the results.

Samurai Jack
08-26-2004, 04:23 PM
You could also try taking a week off and inserting an extra day or two between your workouts when you start back up again. Two workouts a week can eventually leave you in an overtrained state depending on how intense your workouts are. It sounds from your description of "huffing and puffing and almost crying" that you are training to failure on all of your workouts.

If this is the case, I'd virtually garantee that you're overtrained and need to take a break for a week. You might want to start periodizing your workouts such that you only train to failure every two weeks or so. This is an effective strategy for those who insist on training with a high intensity style.

trevorstalker
08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Sorry it took so long...

I went with Serpent and Jack's advice. I took a 6-day break from chest workout and this morning I've hitted again. Instead of doing the regular routine I did what Serpent recommended. I don't know wheater it worked or not, but I definetely go out of it really sore. :) Good thing though is that it was only soreness, no pain-like sensation on the joints (elbow nor shoulder)

After that I went throught the normal workout, flys, MP and Tris-Extension (Rope and Bar) and Kickback.

So, what do I do next? :D

Serpent
08-30-2004, 06:59 PM
LOL. Sorry - I should have mentioned that it would give you major DOMS! Just stick with it in place of your regular workout for a while (maybe a week or two, as pain allows!) and then go back to your normal routine and use that to retest your strength levels.

Keep us informed of what happens.