PDA

View Full Version : Chain Punching Aid

Sedgimax
08-05-2001, 06:41 PM
I came across this idea in Inside Kung Fu (Sept/01)It's a pole for developing speed and explosiveness in straight punching. The pole itself is made from a 3ft piece of 1" and half PVC pipe, filled with sand and capped at both ends.
The middle 12" needs to be painted a different color, this is your "target area". The idea is to get into the horse stance, hold the pole out in front, release, and catch it with the other hand. Repeat 100-200, or whatever you are capable of.When you begin to catch it outside of the target area, you are getting tired and should rest.When you tire, you risk jamming or jarring your fingers and palms.The purpose of the drill is to develope the floating quality of the chain punch.Everything should be relaxed until moment of contact and then explode into your target.It takes awhile to get it down, so persistense is the key. I have not tried it yet,but if anybody has, any comments?

IronFist
08-06-2001, 11:15 PM
What a coincidence! I have just a contraption laying around! No really I'm serious. Has anyone tried this?

Iron

Sihing73
08-07-2001, 02:37 PM
Hi Sedgimax,

I have not tried this exercise but it seems interesting. I saw the article as well. I would be interested in any findings of anyone trying this exercise.

BTW: When will you be in class again? Seems like whenever I am there on Tuesday you are not ;) Are you going to the Sunday class instead? I am afraid that Tuesday is the best night for me to make it, although I find myself dragging a little on Wednesday morning when I go to work.

Peace,

Dave

Sedgimax
08-07-2001, 06:24 PM
Hi Sihing73!

Yeah, I know what you mean about Wed. mornings!
Tues. are kinda hit and miss with me for this and the beginning of next month. I have alot of vacation time and a commitment. The commitment is, my job is paying for me to take classes and they only have them Tues and Thurs nights. After my vacation, I will be full time again.

IronFist, Do you use your contraption? Do you think it's beneficial for someone like me, who is a beginner, or should a beginner concentrate more on getting the punch down solid and then use the pole to develope the speed and flow?

CanadianBadAss
08-07-2001, 09:13 PM
Sedgimax
I think speed and flow is part of getting the "punch down solid". I don’t see how it could have negative effects... but then again I'm also a beginner.

hmmm... would a pen work instead?

dzu
08-07-2001, 10:09 PM
IMHO your time would be better used just training the punch itself. As a beginner, your nervous system and neural pathways are still learning to trigger the proper muscles in an efficient manner. Many sports have supplemental exercises, but to improve on the skill aspects, they train and practice the skills directly.

While this device will train you to get yor arm out faster, the goal is catching an object and not hitting it. The intention and also the muscles used are different. Also, you will not be able to practice unifying the body since your first focus is on speed. Learn to unify the body with the arms and legs and you develop both power and speed within the context of the WC system.

regards,

Dzu

Sedgimax
08-07-2001, 10:37 PM
Exellent point! As I read your post I was going through the motions in my head, and you are right.As a beginner I should concentrate on the punch itself, and then at a later time, use this method to tie up any loose ends, so to say. Because, the whole punch, is made from a series(elbow/wrist/fist) and not having that motion down right to begin with, will make speed and flow pretty much useless. Kinda like putting a shell in your shotgun, but the shell doesn't have any shot in it.

wtsihing
08-07-2001, 11:14 PM
I have often used this type of device in my classes for beginnig to advanced students. For beginnners, I use a wooden dowel (around 36" in length) or something without much weight to it. Focus the effort on keeping the stick perpendiculer to the ground. As well, always work to 'catch' the stick in the center of its length. Go slowly at first, and make each punch as if you are target shooting with a pistol. As you achieve fluidity and stability, you may wish to increase the speed and the rapidity of each punch. Ideally, one wishes to execute this exercise in a fast, fluid manner while keeping the stick from moving out of its position in space. (i.e. make it appear that the stick is just floating in the air without moving). This is a fine exercise to supplement your other punching exercises.