PDA

View Full Version : Xingyi video clip

xingyiman
08-26-2004, 09:05 AM
I posted this on the emptyflower forum so I thought that I might as well post it here too. Its from a Bagua site.

http://www.bagua-zhang.com/Videoclips/xingyiquan_wuxinglianhuan.mpeg

Comments! What do you all think of his stepping and striking liu he coordination?

Apostol
08-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Heh, not bad, better than most I've seen. He does the crushing fist turn-around the sissy way without going all the way down, however. :cool:

xingyiman
08-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Most people on the emptyflower board thought that his coordination was kind of off. His strikes seem to land before his stepping instead of both of them arriving together

Apostol
08-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by xingyiman
Most people on the emptyflower board thought that his coordination was kind of off. His strikes seem to land before his stepping instead of both of them arriving together

He's kind of a little weasel, he does it at like the last minute. I used to do that, then my Sifu said "strike before you're done stepping".

Felipe Bido
08-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Apostol
Heh, not bad, better than most I've seen. He does the crushing fist turn-around the sissy way without going all the way down, however. :cool:

The turn of the Crushing Fist (Leopard Climbs a Tree) is not common to go all the way down. Dragon bends the spine. Leopard doesn't.

Examples:

Sun Lutang

Felipe Bido
08-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Jiang Ronqiao:

Felipe Bido
08-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Xue Dian

Felipe Bido
08-26-2004, 06:14 PM
And this Che style guy (looks more like your idea of the turn):

Felipe Bido
08-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Che style guys use to land the fist a split second after the foot has landed...they create a whiplike motion that allows them to do so. But it's very difficult to do at first, mainly because of the postures they use to do it.

Apostol
08-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I do a dragon kick (front snap kick with foot horizontal) and then eagle capture and into that posture.

Most people like to do it the "sissy" way, but I like to go all the way down. Heh :cool:

The application is to kick above the knee cap and block an incoming strike, then basically lower yourself into a dual arm/leg joint lock.

Felipe Bido
08-26-2004, 06:37 PM
It's not a sissy way...it's a snapping kick. Dragon does a pushing kick.

As of dragon...do it this way, as the pic below :

From there, jump to the air, switch legs and hands in midair, and fall in the same spot, same height. Repeat many, many times. Chest touching the thigh.

Don't do it before weekends.

Felipe Bido
08-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Leopard: Defend and incoming attack, and snap kick the kneecap. Follow with palm strike

Dragon: The one you described. Dragon is a little bit more difficult, but is a great break.

Funny thing is, if you change Leopard to a Jumping Leopard, the kick becomes a pushing kick. If you change Dragon to Jumping Dragon, the kick becomes a snap.

Apostol
08-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Dragon form is CRAZY. Heh. I'm gonna try that flying leopard attack on a certain TKD kid I know...heh...*evil laugh* I had him look at some of your form tutorials on Emptyflower and he was like "that's incredibly gay, gay names too". **** anyone who disrespects teh great Filipe Bido!

So, is that you in the pic?

Felipe Bido
08-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Yeah, that's me.

And...about your friend...he does TKD...the real street lethal...

:p

I don't know why you try so hard to let him know about Xingyi, instead of taking that time to practice more. Just let him be, and keep XY to yourself for a few years.

Ah, but I guess it's all that teenager rage and energy. After a few years, you'll see that it doesn't really matters.

CD Lee
08-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Xingyiman said

This seem very slight to me when I watch him. This is also a hard topic to discuss. The strike when fighting, lands on the target BEFORE the front foot touches down, and then drives though the target in a split instant. If done properly, the BODY drives the stike through the potential of the strike zone, not the arm. The arm is only extended and guiding the energy.

In a form, this may look like the hands and feet are arriving at differing times, but what is not seen in the form, is the exact point where the first makes first contact. If the two arrive and stop at the same instant in reality, the strike is just a shock only, which is what some sytlists are after.

XingYiDao
08-28-2004, 10:00 AM
i was taught to go all the way down the newer guys in class do it high and as leg power develops you go lower and lower

cerebus
08-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Felipe is right. The turn in Beng Chuan and the Dragon form are two different things. The movement as performed during the turn in Beng Chuan only goes about 1/2 as far down as Dragon, or even less.

The Willow Sword
09-14-2004, 11:04 AM
and from the vid it seems as though he has got the intent down pretty well,,the movements dont coincide, a little off. as far as the dragon stepping is concerned,,the older pics show the stepping to be rather high whereas i have seen and done the dragon stepping going all the way down. now i dont know if because sun lu tang was old on those photos and could not go that far down anymore or he was just showing the basic step patterns. i have always thought of the dragon stepping as a trap to the shin, like your foot rakes down the shin of the opponent in close as you block his arm down and then you launch in to beng chuan for the crushing blow. it wouls seem that in training you go all the way down to imporove leg strength and power and in combat you are higher in your stance.

Peace,,TWS

Felipe Bido
09-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword
now i dont know if because sun lu tang was old on those photos and could not go that far down anymore or he was just showing the basic step patterns.

Sun Lu tang didn't go lower because that's not a dragon step. That's the Leopard Climbing the Tree movement. Both movements have different intentions and different ways to kick.

He could go far down, as you see here, doing the Dragon Jump:

The Willow Sword
09-14-2004, 06:16 PM
sorry for the mix up on my part. been a while for me.