PDA

View Full Version : Forward/Side Splits advice please..

iron_silk
08-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi this is the first time on this particular section because I had some question on achieving splits and thought this may be the best place.

I know that as an adult achieving splits is that much harder. I do try to do the usual stretches from my kungfu class and after stretching for a super long time my forward is much better than my side BUT neither can really be called a split.

Also I tend pull a thigh muscle (groin pull) at least once per week when I was trying to stretch more for a split.

Currently I've been trying to let my legs rest and avoid any attempts at split but was hoping to get some advice from anybody on how they achieved a split and perhaps help with lessening the warm-up stretch time?

Thanks!

FooFighter
08-26-2004, 02:35 PM
IRONSILK:

Please do a search on flexibility and you will find tons of treads on this subject. The current fad is static stretches are bad for athletes and stay away from it.

What is hot or what's up is Isometric or contract/relax stretch tecnique which is superior than static stretches. I think Isometric Stretches rux!

For more detailed answers please check out Pavel Tsatsouline "Relax Into Stretch" book and video on www.dragondoor.com or you could go B&N bookstore and check it out for FREE. If you're too cheap and poor like some folks here on this forum then that option might be the best one.

I would also recommend "Warrior Wellness" by Coach Scott Sonnon at www.clubbell.tv for learning the science of pain free movement and maxium mobility and flexible strength. If you are poor and dont have money then dont even bother checking it out. Kidding!!! I am just picking on the poor here and not you per se.

Oh yeah, dont bother with Pavel's SuperJoint because Warrior Wellness is 20 million times better. I wish you the best and your success is our success.

Sincerely,
Bao
PS I hope the poor and the cheap were not offended. I was just joking.

blooming lotus
08-27-2004, 04:54 AM
it takes a long time to become really flexible to the point where you can split either way at any given moment, so don't tear a tendon, but do perservere.

Matt Furey says he can double your flexibilty over night if you buy and read his book. find it www.mattfurey.com though be warned , while his emails are often informative for all sorts of training advice and stories, he's had bad wraps here and I have no personal experience with this book.

I'm female and our bodies are little different, but if no -one else gives you advice, I'll think on it and get back to you.

FooFighter
08-27-2004, 08:40 AM
BL, please do not take offense to my opinion but I am not a big supporter of Matt Furey but I will give credit where credit is due. I did purchased Matt's combat flexibility tapes which I sold to Fa-Jing, another member here. Out of 1-10, I would give Matt's flexibility course a 3. There is not anything new or special about Matt's flexibility course.

And when you compare Matt Furey's flexibility course to others such as Pavel of dragondoor, Matt's flexibility course is low quality, low in technical information, and not worth the cost to be quite honest. I am not saying Matt's stuff would not help but what I am saying is there are better quality courses out there. I think I can make a fair assessment because I have read and own many different kinds of courses. Lastly, whatever works for some might not be right for others. Your success is our success.

Sincerely,
Bao

blooming lotus
08-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Foo : no drama, haven't read it myself, but can you outline his principals??? Personally know my body too well to take "tentative" advice... think I'll just stick to what I'm doing.

iron_silk
08-30-2004, 11:27 AM
thank you foofighter and bloominglotus

FooFighter
08-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Dude,

No problem...

Bao

blooming lotus
09-02-2004, 03:17 AM
:confused: I don't know what that means.

What is everyones' flexiblity level though and are you good with that or what are you personally doing to improve it??