PDA

View Full Version : do you think a guy who has been practicing wing chun for like 10 years and has been practicing hard

wingchunwsl
07-05-2001, 09:10 AM
do you think a wing chun man/woman could use this style to take on those big brutes? since there are gloves, it'll probably be harder to grab, etc. plus you probably won't be able to biu or anything like that. no groin strikes either.

old jong
07-05-2001, 03:34 PM
Well,Sure he would have to train hard.A lot harder than "regular" practice.He would have to prepare just like a pro-boxer and get the same kind of conditionning.He would also have to train "wise"!To be ready for an event like this means being ready for takedowns and knowing how to counter them.You will have to train with real takedown artists,not friends who imitate wrestlers!
Also,keep in mind that,even if you learn some ground moves,the real grappler will still be better than you in his field. It means that you must stay on your feet and be real effective there!...
I think it is possible if you train 6 hours a day 6 days a week like pro-fighters all do. It takes some dedication and talent plus good coatching and luck!
;)

BeiKongHui
07-05-2001, 03:56 PM
My friend has just around 10 years of Wing Chun training and has an NHB record of 7 & 1. However, he does have excellent ground skills.

I suspect if I asked him this question his answer would be pretty much the same as what Old Jong said above.

"Gong Sao Mo Gong Ching Sao"
- When you talk with the hands,
best not to speak of polite hands.

ATENG
07-05-2001, 10:15 PM
similar to what old jong said. its about how you train, and not necessarily for how long. if some guy locks himself up with a WC training partner and just chisaos and spars with him for 10 years, he'll be in for a rude awakening. but if he's been training and sparring with TRAINED martial artists from other styles (including grappling arts) and is aware of what the competition will offer, then i don't see why not.

---------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an
eye. Then its just fun.

Martial Joe
07-05-2001, 10:47 PM
Id like to see Tsui Sheung Tin go in there and show them some real wing chun.

I can not answer the question because I dont beleve I hold the power to do so...

tiger_1
07-06-2001, 05:10 AM
my friends im traning about 10 agge . im like to talking somting: man tho traning wing chun family of theree have opportunity to do intonjutsy and special scils like special speed and progresiv road in kung fu . allso have many roads tho cant see onthers mens .but are there come target? are here some finis in road ? or just power ? :cool: ( important is to see wing chun is not to traning , but must see wing chun, ) just friendly tiger_1

/

Scott
07-07-2001, 09:31 PM
Training Wing Chun for a MMA tournament is like training track so you'll be a good basketball player--sure, it'll help out a few things RELATED to the actual tournament (combat reflexes, stanima, so on) but it won't teach you how to WIN in a MMA tournament.

Well, this is assuming you're talking about gloved point sparring. Gloved point sparring is a SPORT related to martial arts, but not really that related to martial arts themselves.

-Scott

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

old jong
07-07-2001, 10:14 PM
I think the question is more about tournaments where you find peoples like that! :eek: http://www.ufc.tv/fighters/artwork/fighter_profiles/fp_abbottTank.jpg

Watchman
07-07-2001, 11:05 PM
>>>it won't teach you how to WIN in a MMA tournament.<<<

Actually, it will IF you train properly.

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

Not to tire of learning is wisdom;
Not to weary of teaching is benevolence.
-- Tzu-kung