PDA

View Full Version : To Evolution Fist

Lowereside
08-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Evolution Fist,

Just curious. who did you study Southern mantis and wing chun

with. Also heard many good things about your current teacher,

Bong Chan. Very hands on from what I heard.

Thanks,

Lowereside

Ray Pina
08-27-2004, 10:13 AM
I studied with Mr. Mark Manganiello ... who is a student of Mr. Milton Chin (Uncle Milton).

I met him when I was learning Hung Gar and Wing Chun from his brother on Long Island: http://www.lingnamsiulum.com/sifu.htm

As far as my master goes, he truly is my hero, what I've been looking for. He's 64 years old and still throws down regularly. In fact, some taiji guys came about a month go and joined the school. Their teacher came, now he's been paying on a class by class basis and their grandteacher is coming tonight .... should be interesting.

I've learned a lot. Absorbed some. But I can say I now feel safe. I have "lost" a few competitive boughts but I haven't been "beaten" in a while .... know what I mean? I'm learning what it truly means to close the door and control engagements some what.

Still a lot of work to be done though. I have to tighten up my clinch game and broaden my playing field on the ground. I'd like to do some MMA events in about a year. With that said I'm probbaly only at greenbelt level. We don't use belts (I think the kids class does) but I see what I know and what there is to know and that doesn't include the sword and pole.

Best of all though .... really good people at the school. No egos. Hard to have one when a smallish old-guy beats you up.:)

We're in your neighborhood (161 Bowery); you should stop by. Definitely worth a glance.

Lowereside
08-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Evolution Fist,

Thank You for your reply.

I do know of Mark Manganiello, Not personnally however,

but of him. I did'nt know he was teaching Southern Mantis,

Interesting. Milton Chin I have met and do know.

For Bong Chan, not to many on his level. You have found

a goldmine.

Thanks,

Lowereside

Meat Shake
08-27-2004, 10:45 AM
" No egos. Hard to have one when a smallish old-guy beats you up."

I know what you mean... Master Lin (The real one, not the fake on in NY) is like 5'7" and maybe 160 lbs... Dude hits like a freight train and moves like wind.

Ray Pina
08-27-2004, 11:26 AM
It's cool that we still have a few men like this. Personally one of the things I like about my master is that he's realistic, he's aware of guns and tells new students to train for health and enjoy themselves.

At the same time he's so critical and always upgrading his stuff, he's not stuck on being "traditional", always looking for a better way ... to me this IS traditional. I feel like it's the job of serious martial artists in our generation to absorb this while we can ... and hopeful prove its merit.

As for Sifu Mark, he wasn't teaching traditional mantis either. He's a big guy ( but moves very well) and also knows Hung Gar and Wing Chun and their were a lot of modified element strikes, smaller, tighter over hands and uppercuts that follwed each other in succession ... low kicks.

He tought me that you need to put gear on and truly test the stuff out.

Lowereside
08-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Evolution Fist,

Again, thank you for your reply.

Meat Shake,

Lin - If Thats David Lin from Atlanta , have heard good things
about him but do not know him or seen him. I do know
Jeng Shing Peng, of NYC, known him and seen him since the
early 70,s , one of the best in Shuai Chiao - I think he closed
his hands from public teaching, usually lectures or sits in on
promotions these days.

Thanks