PDA

View Full Version : Bak mei vs wing chun

panos
07-05-2001, 01:38 PM
I have read this bak mei many times in this forum. Wkat is it? Is it a kung fu style? I have never heard it before. Maybe it is known more with a western name? Why all this rivalry with WC?

JasBourne
07-05-2001, 04:00 PM
Bak Mei, don't know much about it (bak mei guys correct me) but I think it's the White Eyebrow kungfu, using 5 animals forms.

Why the rivalry? 'coz it's fun :p

--------------------------------------
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. "
- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

RENEGADE_MONK
07-05-2001, 08:50 PM
Hi Jas,
Bak Mei mostly consists of Lung Ying, and Phoenix Eye fist-

panagiotis as far as there being some sort of rivalry between BM, and WC i haven't heard of any :)

northstar
07-05-2001, 11:02 PM
Bak Mei/Pak Mei means White Eyebrow, it is a southern kungfu style which used to be very rare, but seems to be rather popular these days. I haven't seen the style in action, but I've read that Baak Mei (which is another way to spell the same name) shares some of the centerline concept with Wing Chun, and that the same goes for Lung Ying (Dragon Style).

addy
07-06-2001, 04:03 AM
I have heard it said from a number of people that Bak Mei is like the antithesis of Wing Chun.

In fact, William Cheungs website has a small mention of Yip Mans visit to a Bak Mei School.

this should be the correct link:

The Ministry Of Yip Man (http://cheungswingchun.com/Articles/Article.WCS.3.html)

tiger_1
07-06-2001, 04:51 AM
my friends just my opinion whan you traning animal syles must traning noting mush of 3 styles . last frontier is 3 styles . just my opinion and just friendly tiger_1 ( allso im now dragons is opponent to wing chun cose wing chun dnt have orbital and cirkle traning inside, and must find road vs. orbital cipers and dragon road .) :cool:

/

Scott
07-07-2001, 09:26 PM
Bak Mei was created by (gasp) Bak Mei, but it is also commonly referred to as White Eyebrow Kung Fu. Bak Mei (the person) is the Shaolin monk who betrayed the temple and allowed it to be burned down by an oppressing government. He's kind of like the Judas in the Bible of Chinese History.

Regardless of his personal treachery to the temple, his style is pretty solid and shares many similarities with Wing Chun in the fact that it is close range fighting that is pretty effective. One difference is that Bak Mei is less ...combat oriented? And has many forms and different animal stylings.

In the movie 'Prodigal Son', a Bak Mei master and a Wing Chun student fight (Wing Chun guy wins! =P). It's a great fight in which actual moves are used.

-Scott

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

Rolling Elbow
07-07-2001, 11:31 PM
Fierce Tiger will get a hold of this soon and as a teacher of Bak Mei (or an offshoot style of White Eyebrow he will tell you the opposite.)

Both are combat oriented and share similar principles, but Bak Mei offers more variety and strategy in its approach to fighting. In addition to external development, there is also emphasis on daoist/taoist internal development and fighting principles/concepts. The shifting in Bakmei and evasion is emphasized more than relying simply on the center line from what i understand.

There is no right or worng answer, both are good with hands and rely on fast and multiple hits. The victor will likely be the combatant who made the least mistakes or recovered from his own mistakes quick enough before his opponent took advantage of them.

I'll let fierce Tiger fill you in on the rest. As for being a traitor, there are many different aspects and sides to the story. Hard to decide what constitutes a "traitor" in a time when allegiances were constantly shifting and people were set up for things they did not do :rolleyes:

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North.

rogue
07-07-2001, 11:49 PM
Doesn't Bak Mei have some rather unusual ideas in regards to bio-mechanics?

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

IronFist
07-08-2001, 01:55 AM
"Doesn't Bak Mei have some rather unusual ideas in regards to bio-mechanics?"

Rogue, you can't say that and then not elaborate :p

Iron

tnwingtsun
07-08-2001, 01:57 AM
I guess my roots lye in Bai Mei,or Bak Mei in Cantonese.
I would not go so far as to say that Bai Mei is not combat oriented,in some ways it is more.

"Doesn't Bak Mei have some rather unusual ideas in regards to bio-mechanics?"

No,Bai Mei has Six external and four internal ideas,the externals being parts of the body,the internals being,Sink,Swallow,Spit and Float.
As far as bio-mechanics are concerned Bai Mei
makes more use of the whip-like action of the whole body when generating a shock like force.
I have seen Wing Chun beaten in a bad way by a Bai Mei person and I have seen a Bai Mei person beaten by Wingtsun person.
Both systems are top of the line Southern.
They cross paths in some ways and other ways they are like day and night.

Yip Man's visit to a Bai Mei school should not be seen as that all WT/WC/VT is better than Bai Mei.
In some ways WT/WC/VT is weaker than Bai Mei in other ways it is not.
I like them both,no discord here.
This webpage was put up by a student that came after I left Bai Mei training(due to work).
I still see my Bai Mei sifu often and have a lession here and there but my main focus is WT these days,not because it is better,it is closer too home.

http://www.cdc.net/~xylon/

[This message was edited by tnwingtsun on 07-08-01 at 05:03 PM.]

tiger_1
07-08-2001, 02:22 AM
that many roads that many but we must see more in past must see more deep in past . just my ipinion . friendly tiger_1 ( newer more of three animal style of kung fu cant be togeder) :cool:

/