PDA

View Full Version : does shanghai sell kung fu weapons and stuff

fiercest tiger
08-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Guys,

have anyone here been to shanghai? Is it good for shopping and kung fu? Can anyone give me some places to visit and see kung fu, food, site seeing etc?

regards
Garry

p.s leaving in november, is it hot or cold?

lkfmdc
08-27-2004, 05:35 PM
I was in Shanghai in December, it was cold and rainy, don't know about November

Avoid the pearl in the sky tower thing in Pudong, over rated and a waste of money.

Must see is Yu Garden in Old Shanghai, adn the old city temple. I'd just buy a tourist map and walk it. I walked almost all of Shanghai, or used the subway system which was easy

For shopping and food, there is of course Nan Jing Lu (Nan Jing street). It leads right into the "bund" or the "wai tan" which is the old foreign buildings. The intersection of Nan Jing and Tibet (Xhizhang) street is the commercial center with the Chinese equivalents of Macy's

If you are into history, there is teh Museum of the founding of the communist party, but don't take pictures inside or they will put you in prison, I barely got out with some old stock cadre phrases :D

The only major attractions you need a taxi for is the NEw zoo, don't go to the old zoo, it stinks, half the animals are gone, it sucks...

And the physical sports college is north and you need to take a taxi, be careful that you don't get confused and go to the sports stadium, they are the same two characters, but last one is COLLEGE for the sports college :p

I bought San da gear from a phys ed teacher at a local private school, there were no major martial arts stores

But there is teh world's largest patent medicine store on Nan Jing street....

lkfmdc
08-27-2004, 05:39 PM
oh, otherr stuff

there is a beautiful Mosque in Shanghai, if you are into tourist stuff

as for food, you can eat in teh 5 star hotels on Nan Jing street for one... average worker was making $60 US per month when I was there in 2000. So I ate like a king for nothing

From teh local street places, there are of course two shanghai special dishes, there is "Shao Long Bao" which are the soup dumbling.. then there is "Nian Go" or rice cakes....

On Nan Jing street you can also get Japanese and Korean food, both are good

Beware, they often stick ice made from local water in soft drinks, be sure NO ICE or you will get **** sick

lkfmdc
08-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Shanghai Physical Eduction Institute
Qin Yan Huan Rd #650
Shanghai City 650

lkfmdc
08-28-2004, 08:49 AM
a thanks would be nice :confused:

fiercest tiger
08-29-2004, 11:22 PM
thanks for your help, im off to Shanghai in november so trying to get some insight before i leave. So no shops sell kung fu weapons of any sort?

Is san shou big in shanghai?

I'll be doing site seeing and shopping as well eating...;)

FT

Eddie
08-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Hi FT,
I do allot of business with Shanghai. My company imports MA gear from there, and even though most stuff comes from other places, you will defiantly find some MA goodies in Shanghai. One of our major suppliers are located there (but then again, they just act as exporters for us). Expect to pay little more than at other places, but then again, its still cheaper than if you would have to buy the stuff in Australia. Send me a PM, I might have a few addresses or business cards around.
Eddie

lkfmdc
08-30-2004, 10:47 AM
I was just teasing you fierce tiger you :p

Yeah, San Shou is big in Shanghai. The college is one of the major programs in China, with coach Zhao being a former national team coach (99).... some of the king of san da stuff has been done in Shanghai

Shaolinlueb
08-30-2004, 10:52 AM
hmm i would guess that being a YES they do sell some martial arts stuff. its a pretty big city in china, i wouldnt imagine it didnt.

fiercest tiger
08-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Your such a tease mate, hahahah its kool bro. I only have 5 days in shanghai so i was looking at kung fu shopping and whatever else i could get some tips on. Is the electrical goods real cheap in china, like dvd mini players etc?

any help would be good!

cheers
FT:)