PDA

View Full Version : circular strength training and clubbells

choi yap zoi
08-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Hello, I'm posting this in a few forums to see what people think and find out if others are training with these. I start my training in the next few weeks, the instructor is actually a WingTsun Kung Fu instructor as well.

This is a link for clubbells, I know a lot of mma and kung fu folk are using them, any ideas?

Clubbell site (http://www.profcs.com/app/aftrack.asp?afid=167024)

FooFighter
08-29-2004, 08:59 AM
I am serious Clubbell user and currently done in a three week cycle of CB training. I would suggest that you do a "search" on Clubbell on KFO. This way you will plenty of information and please dont accept any CB opinion or information from those who havent tried CB directly themselves or have not read any CST literature. Best of luck with your training. Your success is our success.

Bao

choi yap zoi
08-29-2004, 02:36 PM
I use sledge hammers at work all the time and also train with them for strength and fun. I enjoy that type of circular training but I haven't seen any adjustable freeweight devices that make as much sense as the clubbells.

I also use 35lb sandbags with a cloth hande at work so I have a good foundation in swinging those around, so the kettle bells and clubbells make sense for work.

All the evidence I've read and seen leads me to believe that they will be great for my kung fu as well.

FooFighter
08-30-2004, 06:07 AM
choi yap zoi

I am quite a novice to CST and have been working with them less than a year. However I have owned, read, and studied very seriously the works of Coach Scott Sonnon, the founder and creator of CST and Clubbells. At this moment, I have realized that CB is an effective sport specific training and a restorative rehab training tool. I believe grip strength is vital for any physical discipline and a sign of manly strength in my opinion. There are many methods and tools to develop a strong grip and powerful forearms such as kettlebells, clubbells, thor hammer, and etc.

Personally I have never used a sledge hammer or sandbag but in theory I am sure it can develop serious power and grip strength but not circular strength. I both have trained in CB and Kbs and own videos and books on CB/Kb training. I believe I can comprehend the basic theoretical differences. Please allow me to restate this point: SH and SB training does not develop Circular Strength nor can it subitute Clubbells or Kettlebells.

For example I would not use a CB to get better in SH training. Because there are two different tools with contrary leverage and vantage points. Therefore I would use a SH to get better in SH training. Does this make sense? Likewise your 35lb SB training is another good way of developing grip strength but it again does not develop the same kind of linear strength of Kbs. In fact SBs are not a reasonable subtitute for Kbs.

Your judgement of CB or Kb being good or bad for your training is only valid after your first trying it in my opinion and not so much on what has been written. So I hope you are lucky enough to first try it out and decide for yourself if it worth your dollars and time. I wish you best of luck in your training and if you're "serious" and "able" to get CB or KB then do so in the spirit of adventure. Until then your success is our success.

Sincerely,
Bao (my real name)

Toby
08-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by FooFighter
I believe grip strength is vital for any physical discipline and a sign of manly strength in my opinion. There are many methods and tools to develop a strong grip and powerful forearms such as kettlebells, clubbells, thor hammer, and etc.cyz, if it's grip strength you're after "Mastery of Hand Strength" by John Brookfield is well worth the money. Funnily enough, he highly recommends sledgehammers. Lots of good ideas and homemade exercises that are heaps cheaper than proprietary (sort of) devices like kettlebells, clubbells, etc. I'm not saying they're not worth it, but they are expensive.

Ka
08-30-2004, 07:50 PM
When presented with this ? I think we really should know(and you should consider) your age,goals and finanicial situation.
Why?
Well if your a 19 yo kid just left school,I won't recommend geting KB or CB but doing a season as a Brickies Labourer.
If your a 40 something Professonial with a CST club around the corner then things are a bit different.
Either way None of these Net based marketed products are stand alone cure alls.Most are usefull suplementaries that are a advantage to gents with a solid foundation to begin with.
And for many people that solid foundation can be achieved with just some sweat (rather then $) and give you all the grip strenght you may require.

vingtsunstudent
08-30-2004, 08:13 PM
yo toby and ka

how is it boys?

check out the post in the wing chun forum under the same title.

also ka, did you see the post i made a month or so ago for you and toby.

ka, i have the metal paralettes you were after as well as some other goodies you might like.

toby, john brookfield is now also working with my friends company, torque athletic(i am the australian distributer). together they have come out with the 80lb club as well as a list of other products on the way. if you like i'll keep you informed.

if both of you wish you can get in contact with me and i will look after both of you on prices(ie good deals) being that we are all aussie kung fu cohorts and also share many of the same other interests in training.

regards
anthony coleman(aka vts)

Ka
08-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Hey Anthony
I mailed you a wile ago re: driving up and buying the 32kg KB.I still will be doing this realisticly towards November.
Thanks for keeping us informed.
A

Toby
08-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Hi vts,
I haven't forgotten you. When I expand my gym next year I might get some of your stuff. At the moment though I'm broke. Literally $25.32 in the bank. Keep us updated and good luck.

vingtsunstudent
08-30-2004, 09:32 PM
yo ka

was it you that i met and was talking to at the fitness expo in sydney?

and toby, i know the broke feeling very well. i will keep you informed though. also could you let your friend from work know that i still haven't had a chance to get to the couriers for those prices and that i appoligise for that but i will try to do it real soon.

vts

FooFighter
08-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Choi:

Toby's suggestions seem most reasonable and logically. I will not argue there are is one best method for developing grip strength and I've wrote before there were many ways to develop grip strength. However in Choi's original tread we were discussing more than grip strength alone but Kbs and Cbs relationship to martial specific strength conditioning and performance.

Choi, if money is an economical concern for you than there are plenty of cheaper means other than Clubbells or Kettlebells to develop specific martial attritubes. From personal use of these tools I will confidently admit these toys are indeed unique, specilaized, and expensive.

Furthermore, if you are truly serious about purchasing these expensive toys, then I would firmly advise purchasing the real thing or "quality" over a lesser quality makeshift copycat production. In conclusion, all specialized items or investments of quality will naturally cost more than a non-name brand. However, it is my American opinion that you always get what you pay and people value things more when it cost more dollars. So whatever is your finally decision I am sure you will be successful.

By the way on the topic of grip strength Ivanko Gripper is a not a home made gripper or the national standard. It is however a cheaper device than the COC gripper and like what Toby's wrote "I'm not saying they're not worth it, but there are expensive." You summed up what I was thinking before in COC tread, Toby, and your reply to Choi was the same exact spirit I had in the COC tread.

Sincerely,
Bao
Your success is our success.