PDA

View Full Version : TKD in the olympics

Xdr4g0nx
08-28-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm sitting here watching the Olympics TKD...

all I have to say is OMG

thank you

kungfuchic
08-28-2004, 10:28 PM
yeah and i think the next train of thought would be:

how the hell did this happen?

bungle
08-28-2004, 11:59 PM
I think it embarrases martial arts. They NEED to do something with the dynamics and rules to STOP them just hopping on the spot without attacking. They do get warnings but it's not enough. They could never attack all match and still not get two red cards.

Now if they just attacked as rapidly as they do in boxing then it might be interesting.

Vash
08-29-2004, 12:04 AM
I wanted to smack each and every one of those pu$$y-@$$ sunzabiches like the biches they are. I would do this until they: 1)put up their hands and 2) used hands for attack and defense.

Sweet Crimmany.

Kristoffer
08-29-2004, 03:01 AM
but ya gotta dig the tkd chix :D
nah seriously, I can't stand tkd 'fights'. Olympics or not

Liokault
08-29-2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by wall
IMO they need to award:

1 point for a defensive body strike

2 points for an attacking body strike

3 points for a defensive head strike

4 points for an attacking head strike

Now that would get everyone attacking and going for spectacular head shots all the time.

They should alow punching to the head (1 point)

Good kick (2 points)

Clean take down/throw (2 points)

Sacrafice throw/takedown (1 point)

Throwing from the Lei Tai (1 point)

Three knock downs wins the round.

Oh yes.....and call it San Shou LOL:D

blooming lotus
08-29-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by bungle
I think it embarrases martial arts. They NEED to do something with the dynamics and rules to STOP them just hopping on the spot without attacking.

Like I just noted after chats ' note trade with a Russian Karate practioning comp circiut victor, in some ma branches ( like karate etc) they lack certain aspects, like rounds for karate and other variables in tkd, so they make up for it with dynamic feet. I was a lil omg at the tkd standard myself, but it's not real street fighting and rules are rules.

bungle
08-29-2004, 07:03 AM
TRUE it's a sport! However it has the potential to be entertaining and instead it is frustratingly boring.

Liokault
08-29-2004, 09:30 AM
i'm just amazed at how much they fall over.....like totaly of their own accord, with no in put from the oponent......now why cant i fight guy who just fall over?

Shaolinlueb
08-29-2004, 09:34 AM
its not kung fu, tkd is different. but still, i didnt see any of it, was it that bad for tkd?

TonyM.
08-29-2004, 11:08 AM
It was and is pathetic.

bungle
08-29-2004, 11:19 AM
In theory it could be a fun sport and entertaining to watch. Pulling off the spectacular kicking. Flashy rubbish does look good.

However, the people fighting are so afraid of each other that they just end up hopping paralysed to the spot, waiting for the opponent to attach so they can stay safe and counter.

Maybe they should get poked with big sticks like some kind of pit fight.

kungfu cowboy
08-29-2004, 12:15 PM
What amazing hopping crap! I believe to qualify absolutely no martial arts experience was required.

SanSoo Student
08-29-2004, 01:22 PM
I saw some of it too, they would break it up when it a real "fight" started. I don't understand why they need headgear when they don't even go for face blows...:confused:

Kristoffer
08-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
its not kung fu, tkd is different. but still, i didnt see any of it, was it that bad for tkd?

No, these are the BEST. That's why they are in the olympics. So compared to other tkd, it's the elite.

I think some here goes to far in comparing tkd to traditional martial arts. They hop around like this because of the rules, and the whole sport is based upon it. It's not even comparable

blooming lotus
08-29-2004, 07:18 PM
generally speaking on practicle defence they were a little lame, but for their art they did represented well. I caught the final bout china vs whoever and the looser made crucial errors and lost courage . . The chick who won was bouncey on her feet , vigilant of her opponent and deserved the medal she won. Can't help but admire her. It was an earned win regardless of rules and limits.

Ps: caught the closing ceremony at 2:30 am nth chinese clock, ( thank you much Lueby babe) and waited for nearly an hour for the shaolin show. Slept for 17 mins a stretch there after til close but all I saw was some non-monked basic , skilled but flashy wushu.... awesome standard and they laid it down / represented beautifullly ( folks are already considering how the fock no doubt) , but it wasn't shaolin ( more like taiji meets wushu ) but worth the late night / early morning.

Did you folks see the chinese culture exchange of stage performance ( being Beijing is nxt oylmpic venue) show?? there were 2 dudes doing these crazy back flips , showing abs, back and arm strength for at least 1 1/2 mins at max intensisty. Awesome shyte!!!

bring on Beijing, and stay with us folks because it's just about to get interesting. ;):P

PPs: saw this this lilo10 yr old dude on a future olympiad training doco over the weekend , working his as* off for chinese gymnastics gold in Beijing. The kid is 10 YRS OLD !!! and he's bulked, pecced , and ripped and skilled to the sh*tter. Bring on '08. name : yao kai or similar .... watch this space ..........

cheers ma fans

BL

joedoe
08-30-2004, 04:27 PM
I had a problem with the entry rules. Each country is only allowed to enter a total of 4 competitors - 2 men & 2 women. This is supposed to prevent Korea from dominating the competition. Sounds kinda unfair to me. If Korea is going to dominate the competition, then it should be allowed to. Then it would force everyone else to raise their standard to compete. The result is that competitors are jockeying to get into weight divisions that have no Korean competitors! Silly.

Brad
08-30-2004, 05:03 PM
I agree. That's how it worked for basketball... we(U.S.) pretty much dominated getting free gold medals year after year, until finally, we got our @sses kicked :D They should let the Koreans get their free medals too for awhile, until someone's good enough to take it from them :p

joedoe
08-30-2004, 05:20 PM
I have to say that I was appalled at the tactics of the TKD competitors. To have a combative sport where the competitors hang their arms down like gorillas sends a terrible message about what MA is about.