PDA

View Full Version : Question about TWC

Waxwood rod
08-30-2004, 01:52 AM
A question for TWCer's. Should a person complete standard Yip Man Hong Kong WC before training in TWC? I've noticed that a lot of TWC sifus have had extensive training in WC before taking up TWC. Even Cheung himself had most or all the system learned before he was introduced to TWC. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of learning WC before TWC? I have trained in WC for a couple of years and am interested in TWC, should I complete the WC system before joining a TWC school, or just go for it right away. Not trying to start any arguements, only seeking advise. Thanks for your responses.

sihing
08-30-2004, 08:55 AM
Waxwood rod,
My Sifu learned what I call "Hard style" Wing Chun from the Wong Shun Leung lineage before he learned TWC Wing Chun. I consider him to be a Martial Arts genius, because when he learned Cheung style he did so in a very short period of time(8 months). I believe his experience and training in the other form of WC helped him in this endeavor but I do not believe all of us are capable of such things. When I started training I did not have any MA/Wing Chun experience and had no problems learning the system. Now that I am a full instructor with 16yrs of experience in the art and 14yrs experience teaching it I would have to recommend that a practitioner NOT learn any other WC styles, if their goal is to learn TWC. The concepts, forms, technique are all different. Of course this is all just my opinion.

James

couch
08-30-2004, 09:36 AM
I really think it depends on the instructor and the willingness of the student...not the style or lineage.

If you really want to learn TWC, you can do it if you find a Sifu with the ability to teach it so that you can learn it. And you have to put in the time.

I have a seen/participated in a few "styles" of Wing Chun...EBMAS, Moy Yay, William Cheung, etc... They all have their place in each and every one of our hearts. I don't believe that there is any advantage to learning another "style" before another one.

Also, some technicalities change between "styles" as well. Like the taan sau: 1. Looking into the palm like the monkey in the mirror and 2. Keeping the palm flat to hold a cup of tea.

So maybe for some, changing "styles" can be very hard. That's why I say just choose what is best for you and stick with it.

Hope this helps.

Couch

Ultimatewingchun
08-30-2004, 11:10 AM
"What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of learning WC before TWC? I have trained in WC for a couple of years and am interested in TWC, should I complete the WC system before joining a TWC school, or just go for it right away."

Assuming that you now understand (and can perform) fighting right up the center...then doing TWC and this point should work out for you. TWC emphasizes fighting on the blindside - and uses a variety of footwork, strategies, and techniques to get you to the blindside.

But sometimes fighting right square in the middle is a necessity.

I have noticed that a number of TWC schools don't spend that much time training their people to fight in the center (enough time?)...

but if you've got the training already...then moving on to TWC at this point should be good for you.

anerlich
08-30-2004, 03:56 PM
If learning TWC is your ultimate goal, there are no prerequisities.

OTOH, having learned another MA is rarely a handicap, despite what some MA marketing gurus may try to tell you.