PDA

View Full Version : punching methods

wongfeilung809
07-18-2001, 01:48 AM
ok, simple question,maybe...Two ways to punch "correctly", i threw the rest out the window for now, one, shoot hand out and dont tense the fist ,strictly reley on structure or shoot it out and as soon as it makes contact "explode"? i firgue explode, meaning at the contact point tense the fist and transmit the energy to the person center mass, how does the sound to everyone else? what the hell...... how does everyone punch?
simpleangles

CLOUD ONE
07-18-2001, 03:18 AM
I would say tense all your body at the moment of impact.

Ish
07-26-2001, 11:41 AM
I'd say relax your whole body and punch as fast as possible tensing your fist and arm on impact not the whole body tho. If you tense your whole body the second punch will be a lot slower

jameswebsteruk
07-26-2001, 12:45 PM
I guess there are as many different answers as there are styles of WC/VT/WT.

We are taught to relax your arm, dont tense up at all. Rely, as you suggested, on the structure.

Tensing up at any time slows you down, simple as that. If you have correct structure, you have have a relaxed hand, as long as the elbow is correctly aligned with the bottom two knuckles, you'll be alright.

Tensing at the moment of impact stops you from feeling whats going on, and has to slow down your next movement.

I remember soon after I started VT, I was trying to break a breaking board. After multiple (bruising) attempts, my instructor advised me to relax the hand, and hit through it. Bingo. Easy.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)

CLOUD ONE
07-26-2001, 03:31 PM
Tense then relax, tense then relax.

Sec
07-26-2001, 10:45 PM
I also have been taught to relax the arm, and don't tense up at all, even on the point of impact.
I try to hit though the target, not tense up as soon as my fist makes contact, but I'm sure there are many ways.

- One may have knowledge in the sense that they have memorized or copied from books and not know life. How can someone say they have knowledge and not know themself? No knowledge of life is to fail life. -

Sharky
07-26-2001, 11:01 PM
surely u have to at least tense ur fist at the point of impact - or else u'll break it??

My anus is superiorâ„¢

Sec
07-27-2001, 12:11 AM
Nope, as long as your alignment is correct you will be fine :)

The reason I don't tense up is that I find it slows my next punch, plus after training to stay relaxed it just feels wrong.

- One may have knowledge in the sense that they have memorized or copied from books and not know life. How can someone say they have knowledge and not know themself? No knowledge of life is to fail life. -

whippinghand
07-27-2001, 07:36 AM
Tighten the fist until solid, relax the rest of the body.

CLOUD ONE
07-27-2001, 04:08 PM
action- reaction, action -reaction.
Yin and yang?

IronFist
07-27-2001, 08:21 PM
So you don't tense anything when you're hitting? how does your fist stay closed?

::walks over to wallbag and tries it::

::walks back to computer::

That's crazy. I can't generate any power at all if I leave my arm completely relaxed.

More info please.

Iron

Martial Joe
07-27-2001, 09:46 PM
I only make my fist hard enough so I dont break my wrist..I dont tence it beyond the point of need...

My body is always relaxed...I am wing chun jellow...

Martial Joe

mysteri
07-27-2001, 11:07 PM
i was taught the relax-tense-relax method.
i find that this method as opposed to relying completely on the structure(and alignment) to be more powerful. to me it's like a thunderbolt(which actually strikes from the ground up). you relax, strike like lightning and tense on the fraction of a second of impact, then relax again to allow the energy to dissolve or come immediately with the other hand. i like this the best because it saves me time, energy, and adds reassurance to my structure upon impact, in addition to more power btwn the connection from my root to my target. try it and lemme know how it feels to you. good luck!

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

tiger_1
07-29-2001, 09:55 AM
only road for good punch is big speed in atact and harmony in wing chun texnic and fight . speed punch is hard and good , more speed punch is allmoust wictory in fight . just friendly - tiger_1 :)

/

jameswebsteruk
07-29-2001, 12:25 PM
Hey Ironfist,

You have to try it more than once! ;) After a few hours, you will find it easier.

You have the fist closed enough so that you dont break your wrist on impact, and yes, at first on the wall bag, it seems weak, and your structure must be just right, else you will hurt your wrist. Thats why you start slow, and gain power later.

Same as SLT, you dont tense up (sorry, maybe you do! Our WSL style doesnt) your tansao, and you have no power and structure at first. That comes with practice.

Regards
Frank.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)

dzu
07-31-2001, 01:10 AM
1) Aim with the middle knuckle. When playing nice, hit with the whole fist. When not playing nice, hit with the middle knuckle. Fist is rotated about 30-45 degrees for best skeletal alignment.

2) The fist is relaxed yet firm. Imagine holding an egg or shaking someones hand firmly (not trying to crush their hand!). No need to consciously clench or tighten it.

3) The elbow and shoulder are sunk. The fist starts and travels the centerline. The elbow travels parallel to the centerline along the midclavicular line to maintain the best line of force. Incorporate the pelvis and horse upon contact to connect to the ground.

4) The arm is the nail and my body is the hammer. The most efficient way to hammer in a nail is to just hold the nail in place and use one hit with the hammer to drive it all the way through. The act of holding the nail is analagous to maintaining body alignment with the ground. The timing for this comes with experience.

5) The arm travels at a slight upward angle to uproot upon contact once the body is brought into play.

6) I hold the opinion that if you can feel your own power, then you're probably using too much musclar force.

regards,

Dzu

[This message was edited by dzu on 07-31-01 at 04:24 PM.]

azwingchun
07-31-2001, 06:25 AM
I have seen people punch in various ways.....from tensing before impact, to tensing on impact, to tensing on impact then relaxing, to the way I have been taught for several years and this is to keep the punch relaxed even on impact. This allows the energy to sink deeper into the opponents body w/believe it or not minimal damage being done to your hand. How does this work? Well it is similar to the drunk who gets hit by the car and walks away opposed to someone in the right frame of mind who stands there and tenses up on impact. The relaxation of the fist also adds a false sense of mass to your fist (example: a sleeping baby feels heavier when sleeping then when awake and moving) Ever hear someone say "man he has heavy hands"? . This relaxation+angles+footwork+speed makes for a very deep penetrating hit.

azwingchun

Vankuen
08-04-2001, 07:16 PM
I have been versed in many different ways to punch, not only with this particular chung kuen method but also from other systems as well...

One thing I've noticed is that relaxation seems to be an underlying concept. The most common way to punch from what Ive seen personally, was to relax and follow through with the punch, and then tense at the moment of impact. I can identify though with what Azwingchun says...as that's the internal method of punching...its often seen in styles such as tai chi, and hsing I, but not so much in bagua as it focuses on the "Zhang" or palms. But since Wing chun is supposed to be both internal and external in its training, I think youre going to see both methods, and thats a good example of it's physical differences among the various lineages.

I personally use chung kuen using less muscle power and more "internal" power...ie...using structure and relaxation and speed to accomplish my goal. But then, I try not to think about it, rather I just "do it."

So theres my humble opinion.

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings