PDA

View Full Version : for earnie re the wong sun leurng dvd

russellsherry
08-30-2004, 06:26 PM
hi earnie i was checking , garry "S webpage, out mate and saw. he is selling the science of infighting on dvd at a good price if i send you the money by westen union could you get a copy for me me? it would be quicker , that way i would be gratefull peace russellsherry

Stevo
08-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Me too? But are American DVDs compatible with Australian DVD players, does anyone know?

planetwc
08-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Guys,

The DVD player is not the key. It is the "region" of the DVD.
The movie industry "invented" region codes to control where and when someone can watch a DVD in each part of the world.

So a DVD either is region free, meaning it can be played on any DVD player in the world, or it is region coded. For example the USA is region 1, Europe is something like region 2 etc.

There ARE region free DVD players on the market, and their are sometimes firmware updates/hacks which allow one to disable region checking on DVD players. It is easiest on that front on a DVD player on a computer. There are programs which allow you to do that for your computer, which you can find via search engines.

Why does this BS exist? So that someone from say Austrailia cannot order a DVD which is already out in the US for a cheaper price and earlier than the movie company wants it released in your country and vice versa.

The other issue sometimes is in regards to DVD-R, DVD+R, discs versus commercial DVDs. Some older DVD players may have trouble with the newer DVD+-RW disks (which you burn from your computer). Of course since NEW dvd players are now about $70 US or less, just upgrade and don't worry on that front. Check to see if the DVD player is region free or if there is a firmware hack to disable it.

Sometimes, people take VHS versions of material and burn it using a DVD burner in a computer, which results in a either a DVD-R or a DVD+R disk, which is equivalent but NOT exactly the same as a commercial DVD. So beware if you have a very old DVD player you might have trouble if that is the case.

Nothing like buying a product and then being told where you can and cannot watch it. :rolleyes:

In any case I'd guess "The Science of In-Fighting" was not region encoded. But Ernie or anyone selling it should be able to tell you, it should say so on the DVD box cover.

Hope this helps.

darkwater108
08-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Stevo,

Besides region codes, you also need to knowq if your player supports NTSC or PAL. I have a DVD that was the correct region, but is formated for PAL. Most DVD's in the US are NTSC standard. Just a heads up.

anerlich
08-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Most recently purchased Australian DVD players should support both NTSC and PAL and play most American DVD's.

I DID have a US-made series that played fine on my DVD but had sound problems on an older one owned by a friend.

Most computer software for DVD's should play American DVD's also - though you might need a late version of Windows Media Player.

Ernie
08-30-2004, 10:14 PM
http://www.cranesproduction.com/

this company is ran by some of Gary's students you should be able to get it there , i also have vcd versions i made of it , and it's free online if you know how to use peer to peer
i released a copy a long time ago http://www.filehash.com/search/wong-shun-leung

if you still can't get it then email me ,

Stevo
08-31-2004, 05:47 PM
Many thanks for explaining that in detail, planetwc! :) Thanks also for your help, darkwater 108, Andrew and Ernie. :)

Cheers
Stevo

russellsherry
08-31-2004, 06:10 PM
hi earnie thanks for the information, mate peace russellsherry