PDA

View Full Version : New vids...

Fu-Pow
08-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Just ordered some new vids from Plum pub.

I got the Chen Yong Fa 18 Lo Han and Unicorn hands video

and also the Tai Tzu Shaolin VCD.

Insights to follow.....:D

Ben Gash
09-01-2004, 03:13 AM
I just got Huaquan 24 step, Huaquan 36 step, Wushu 3rd Duan sword and Shaolin Xiao Hongquan from CMAOD, all of which were really good.

MasterKiller
09-01-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
I just got Huaquan 24 step, Huaquan 36 step, Wushu 3rd Duan sword and Shaolin Xiao Hongquan from CMAOD, all of which were really good. What'd you think of the two Hua videos? 24-posture fist and 36-posture fist are two of my favorite forms.

Ben Gash
09-02-2004, 03:17 AM
The forms are quite nice as foundation longfist, although the initial demonstration is a little rushed which detracts from it a little, and he can't get right down for a couple of the stances and the sweep. The instruction's clear and well broken down though.

Fu-Pow
09-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Ok...I received my VCD's and I've watched them several times:

Comments:

Chen Yong Fa's 18 Lohan and Unicorn Hands-

18 lohan looks like a basic Chi Gung set. It contains some hard (Hung Gar) like breathing but is mostly softer Tai Chi-like movements. I really fail to see how it links in with the Choy Lay Fut kung fu movements. The movements of 18 lohan are much shorter and less ballistic than what you typically see in CLF. It might be beneficial health wise but I don't see how it would help your kung fu much.

The Unicorn Hands two man exercises looked like the basic Tai Chi push hands exercises that I practice. They did some horizontal push hands circles which flowed into a Chi Na exercise which was very similiar to something we do in Chen Taiji. I did recognize one of the 18 lohan movements was used in Unicorn Hands exercises.

Tai Tzu Chang Quan VCD-

I really dig this style and I'm really curious about learning more about it and other Northern Longfist styles. I really liked its fluidity and its reach. I didn't really see that it had much in common with Choy Lay Fut or Chen Taji (not that it was supposed to.) It seemed like there was a lot less circular movements than what you typically see in Southern Kung Fu styles. More linear and ****her reaching. It also lacked the Spiral type movement that you see in Chen Taiji. It just seemed to be a basic long fist style.
:D

Ben Gash
09-07-2004, 11:07 AM
The movements of 18 lohan are much shorter and less ballistic than what you typically see in CLF.
Remember, Chan Hung Sing is typically less extended than Jeong Hung Sing.
Sup Baat Lohan is a fairly typical Qigong set, with similaroties to Dao Yin and others.

sean_stonehart
09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
Remember, Chan Hung Sing is typically less extended than Jeong Hung Sing.

True dat... :D